You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Earth Shattering and Mind Blowing-pet peeve

monkeychow wrote:
JPowell wrote:

Gimme a break...we got morons running around screamin' about how Axl's lost his high range. Anyone who thinks the recorded vocals on these nine songs point to any loss of vocal ability on Axl's part isn't listening with their ears.

Actually I've thought for years that axl might have damaged his *low* range.

When he performs the AFD era songs live, if there is a part when he tends to sound forced or struggle these days, it's always the low register parts of the melody IMHO, and at times it's like he is imitating his old sound (eg Patience) to some extent. It's not every song and every time. But it happens now.

Then...when you add to that how the new songs feature extremely high vocals (The irs scream, parts of the blues, the twat "i would do anything for you", much of "Song 2"(ie prostitute/message for you/whatever), and his work with Baz on angel down) to a greater extent than his old songs; i think there's a case to say his voice may have altered over the years. Be it through natural aging, or damage from the UYI era or something else,  but he has a 'new' voice. And it seems to do high much easier than it does the low notes.

However, that's not to say the singing is bad on these leaks. By contrast I think the singing is awesome!!! I'm just saying there is some case to say its *different* from the Axl of old...not better or worse necesarily...just noticable that it's not the exact same voice. Like even if we could hear the vocal line isolated from the music, we wouldn't mistake these vocals for something from TSI or Lies etc

Anyway...aside from that...as much as I love the old band, I feel this material for the most part is very strong. It's what I expected from Axl - strong melodies, lyrics and great NR style ballads, mixed in with some experimental stuff like OMG and Rhiad. I'm really looking forward to the album from the leaks. I think it will be an enjoyable CD.

JPowell
 Rep: 5 

JPowell wrote:

The human voice usually becomes fully mature after age 28 (see http://web.ku.edu/~cmed/private/federarticle.html).

As we age, our voices can and do change, but singers who take care of their voices properly generally do not lose their upper range. What changes is the ability to sing lower and fuller. Our median range can drop a note or two, but our ability to reach that upper range doesn't change. Proper diet and vocal exercise better ensures that our best singers retain their vocal instruments. Smoking, drug abuse or singing beyond the natural range for too many years is often the culprit of the apparent loss of range in some of our aging rock stars.

A really great place to read about these kind of topics is the Associated Board Of The Royal Schools Of Music (http://forums.abrsm.org)

J

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer