You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Type of Deal I hope Axl is looking for in "negotiations"..

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003825334

the Nickelback deal with Live Nation seems to be where the industry is going. This article shows you the possibilities even when the artist still owes an album to his current record label.

there is a TON of potential with the Gnr brand and Axl Rose. Remember, he always has a HUGE negotiating piece with a potential reunion. 22

TEXT OF ARTICLE
As expected, Live Nation has entered into a long-term global partnership with Nickelback, following closely on the heels of a multi-rights deal notched with Shakira.

A source confirms the deal is worth in the $50-$70 million range.
Payments are set to roll out over time as the band performs. Rather than a time frame, a Live Nation statement says the deal "contemplates" all areas of Nickelback's global music enterprises, including three touring and album cycles, with an option for a fourth.

A source says the band has two records left on its Roadrunner contract.

Under the deal, Live Nation has acquired 12 separate artist rights to feed its global distribution pipe. These include touring, tour sponsorship, tour merchandise, tour VIP/travel packages, secondary ticketing, recorded music, clothing, licensing and other retail merchandise, non-tour sponsorship and endorsements, DVD and broadcast rights, fan club, Web site and literary rights.

Nickelback, which previously toured arenas with AEG Live, is expected to play Live Nation amphitheaters, beginning next year. Similarly, the band's merchandising had been through Bravado, and will be handled by Live Nation's merchandising team in the future. Thus, merch and touring represent "found money" for Live Nation in the Nickelback business.

"Our relationship with everyone at Roadrunner Records has been amazing throughout our career and we look forward to continuing that same great relationship for the remainder of our recording commitment with them," said Nickelback's Chad Kroeger in a statement. "With that said, the Live Nation deal helps us maximize the band's opportunities in all areas of our career."

Nickelback becomes the fourth superstar act to join the Live Nation Artists roster, along with Madonna, Jay-Z and Shakira, with the previously announced U2 deal expected to be completed in the coming months.

The band is a touring powerhouse and has built its fan base by relentlessly breaking into new markets with its live shows. The Canadian rockers' last tour, which visited North America and Australia in 2006/2007, sold more than 1.5 million tickets and grossed in excess of $67 million.

Nickelback ranked 20th among all touring acts in 2007, according to Billboard Boxscore.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, this is definitely the industry adapting to the current musical climate. While GNR will probably need to do something similar, its gonna be hard because Axl goes awhile without doing anything. Can he be held to the contract? These deals seem to be long term. Would Uni be willing to do a more short term deal in this case? Not really a precedent for it yet as these deals are pretty new.

You make a good point about a reunion being used as leverage, but how can that ever get finalized in advance?

Its a tricky situation, but I agree that this is the path they should travel, unless they do a NIN The Slip type release which isn't feasible unless Uni gets a percentage of something.

That U2 deal will be massive.

Sky Dog wrote:

You can negotiate a reunion tour in advance if you have Slash, Izzy, etc's blessing. This is where Axl's unpredictable nature may bite him in the ass as people will be skeptical of his long term reliability....and rightfully so.:haha: But, if he could buckle down and put together a 3 year UYI type touring run and release a few of the alleged albums he has. Plus, slip an AFD era reunion tour in there, he could make A LOT of money. Enough money to disappear for another decade!:laugh:

ps....and now seems the perfect time to do it....2008-2012...leads up to the rock and roll hall of fame and wham!....back to recluse mode.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You're right about perfect timing. We know it should have been released years ago, but thats not the point. He's in his late 40's, and like you say, a 4 year run is feasible if he would just commit to it.

Another obstacle to a massive deal is what made GNR so cool in the heyday: Axl's complete unpredictability. When Uni is guaranteeing you truckloads of money, you don't have the option showing up at the arena at 1 or 2 am. The next cities venues will once again be near empty and Uni cant lose that kind of cash. If they signed Axl to some massive CD deal that included a couple albums and a lengthy tour, he drops the ball, Uni could lose so much money that a reunion might have a bit of difficulty paying a massive tab off(ex members wont want to pay Axl's tab).

There's never been a situation quite like this in history, and that plays a role in keeping people interested(in various ways).

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

but is Axl willing to give up the $$$ he would normally make on tour?

thanks for posting though madagas...i wouldnt be shocked if they were attempting a deal of this sort..

maybe its whats taking the negotiations so long...Axl doesnt want to havea reunion

think about it though things are kinda pointing  that way

- Slash has become the face of GnR again with Guitar Hero and his Book and the Reckless Road picture book and thus creating a desire to see the orig band back together
- Azoff is hired as GnR manager - and his history of reuniting bands
- A massive loss to CD sales as more money comes in from tours than sales nowadays
- this aparent trend of lables trying to muscle their way into the touring market

Sky Dog wrote:

I would think Axl and Azoff want to complete the Chinese Democracy releases and tour behind those. Then, do a reunion of the AFD era Gnr after CD has run it's course. He can have his cake and eat it too.....however, doing both does make things substantially more complicated. But, the money would be huge if he can pull it off. 5

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

They are sweet deals. Jay Z made a cool 150 million or something off his. If this isn't the way then for at least the album they need to go the Walmart route. Best way for sales and numbers. AC/DC's new album will be a Walmart only..

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and they were advertising a Miley Cyrus interview that could only be seen at Wal-Mart on their network at 7:00 on Friday.  Not a Miley fan or anything, but that is some creative marketing.  You get all the young girls to come to Wal-Mart and you just happen to get the parents with some time to kill in the store. 

I don't think G&R could pull this off yet.  I wouldn't make this the first move, but this is just another sign of how the music industry has changed and new ways to get people interested in your product.

Board footer