You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

James wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Green Bay is set up to win now. They were in overtime in the NFC Championship game. If Favre wants to come back, GB should let him. Rodgers may be a good QB, but he isnt Favre. They're chances are much greater if Favre is the QB.

In the parity era? Minnesota or Detroit more likely to win that division. You do make a valid point, but you know the history of that division. Its a mediocre bloodbath to the finish line.

Favre doesn't guarantee last year's results. I think its time to see what they have without him.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

With Rodgers as QB, it'll be either GB or Minnesota winning that division. With Favre, GB wins that division. Minnesota is a good QB away from being really good, but we first need to see how the new player mesh.

One way or another, GB will have to get ready to move on with Rodgers (or Brohm down the line potentially), but they are built to win now. Favre gives them the best chance now. Remember, they were an overtime away from the Super Bowl.

I think this whole situation will end up ugly, unfortunatly.

James

James wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

We definitely agree on that, and Favre should have stayed silent and negotiated things behind the scenes if he has real interest in an NFL return.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

(or Brohm down the line potentially), .

That's right I forgot about that. They drafted Brian Brohm [sp?] from Lousiville. He was like a late first rd pick or something wasn't he?!  That was just wierd in itself. I feel for Rodgers man, 1st round pick, didn't even play your first start, and they've already drafted your replacement 16

"No pressure Aaron"

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

(or Brohm down the line potentially), .

That's right I forgot about that. They drafted Brian Brohm [sp?] from Lousiville. He was like a late first rd pick or something wasn't he?!  That was just wierd in itself. I feel for Rodgers man, 1st round pick, didn't even play your first start, and they've already drafted your replacement 16

"No pressure Aaron"

Yeah they drafted Brohm in the 2nd round. I am not a Louisville fan, but I do think he was the best QB in the draft this year. I just dont think they are that high on Rodgers. That has been the rumor for the last couple years, that they didnt think he was good enough. I dont know, I think he'll be fine. But there is definatly lots of pressure on Rodgers... replacing a legend, your team drafts a highly regarded QB high...Yikes!:haha:

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I've never been a big fan of preseason either, but its better than the offseason. The games are too meaningless. It should be reduced to two or three games each.

I didn't used to feel that way, but then I started listening to every single player, every single coach, and every single analyst that used to be a player or coach, and they all say that it should be shortened.

You would think the NFL would listen to what the people who actually have to go through it think, but all they see is dollar signs where they can charge people to watch more games... Games where they won't get to see the stars they want to see do anything but sit on the bench.

Another big problem with the pre-season besides its length is the way the NFL does its best as treating it like a REAL game.  They charge regular prices for tickets, parking, the whole thing.  All the while, the actual players don't receive their normal regular season game checks during the pre-season, heck they hardly play at all anyway.  I think that's ridiculous.

faldor

faldor wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

With Rodgers as QB, it'll be either GB or Minnesota winning that division. With Favre, GB wins that division. Minnesota is a good QB away from being really good, but we first need to see how the new player mesh.

One way or another, GB will have to get ready to move on with Rodgers (or Brohm down the line potentially), but they are built to win now. Favre gives them the best chance now. Remember, they were an overtime away from the Super Bowl.

It was also Brett Favre who threw that horrendous INT in that OT to help lead the Giants to victory.  As great as Brett has been in his career and was last year he has a penchant for making some great plays and some awful ones.  He's a gun slinger who'll just throw it up for grabs and he has more misses these days than he used to.  It's time for Green Bay to move on.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
faldor wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

It was also Brett Favre who threw that horrendous INT in that OT to help lead the Giants to victory.  As great as Brett has been in his career and was last year he has a penchant for making some great plays and some awful ones.  He's a gun slinger who'll just throw it up for grabs and he has more misses these days than he used to.  It's time for Green Bay to move on.

I really don't think he had more misses these days, I think it just got to the point where everybody sees it and says, "He's a legend, he should fucking know better than to throw that".  It's easier to criticize a guy who's been around for a long time.

When you're young, being considered a risk taker is endearing, when you get old and still do it you start to look stupid...  In football or in life.

faldor

faldor wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
faldor wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

I really don't think he had more misses these days, I think it just got to the point where everybody sees it and says, "He's a legend, he should fucking know better than to throw that".  It's easier to criticize a guy who's been around for a long time.

When you're young, being considered a risk taker is endearing, when you get old and still do it you start to look stupid...  In football or in life.

You're right, but that's his own fault.  As you play the game in the NFL for 16 years you've obviously seen just about everything that can be thrown at you.  You'd THINK he'd be able to make the necessary adjustments and not make as many stupid plays.  I know, that's his game and he's obviously done plenty of good things in his time as one of the 10 best QB's of all time.  I guess that's just who he is and how he plays the game but for an all time great he's sure made some horrible plays along the way.  Again, not to take away anything from the guy.  He's a class act, but I still think it's time for Green Bay to say goodbye to the legend and move on.

James

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

You're right, but that's his own fault.  As you play the game in the NFL for 16 years you've obviously seen just about everything that can be thrown at you.  You'd THINK he'd be able to make the necessary adjustments and not make as many stupid plays.  I know, that's his game and he's obviously done plenty of good things in his time as one of the 10 best QB's of all time.  I guess that's just who he is and how he plays the game but for an all time great he's sure made some horrible plays along the way.  Again, not to take away anything from the guy.  He's a class act, but I still think it's time for Green Bay to say goodbye to the legend and move on.

I agree, and the reasons you listed are why Favre(or no one) could ever hold Montana's jockstrap. The guy played the last couple years of his career after having had a couple career ending injuries with a mediocre offense and was one game away from the SB. The guy was a genius. He was old(older than Favre), and he still couldn't be stopped. If Bruce Smith doesn't knock him out cold in that 1993 game, Its the Chiefs-Cowboys in the SB.

Montana would have tore that Dallas defense to pieces.

Board footer