You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: The Ultimate Showdown #4

NY Giants82 wrote:

Lets not pretend that Mustaine didnt attempt to go commercial either. Remember "Risk"? I know, I try not to. But that certainly doesnt take away from the other stuff Megadeth did. I think "Kill 'Em All", "Ride the Lightning", "Master of Puppets", and "...And Justice For All" are just so strong, that even though Megadeth got better as time went on, those Metallica albums are so strong that it out ways them. I would even throw in the Black album. But man, can you really go wrong with either? Great discussion!

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The question I see is "best career". I consider best to be more than most popular, best implies quality music. I don't love either, but I'll always choose Megadeth over Metallica given the chance to listen to either. I only really like a handful of Metallica songs, no full albums anyway.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Metallica. I never "got" Megadeth. Neemo those songs you listed with Mustaine contributing are good, but I never liked 1 Megadeth song. Don't like his singing either, good guitarist though.

Anyway, hands down for me.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Neemo those songs you listed with Mustaine contributing are good, but I never liked 1 Megadeth song.

anopther thing about those mustaine songs...that is a third of metallica's first 2 albums...and nearly half of the first album was written by dave

Mustaine helped them define their sound which propelled them into the metal scene

by the time dave got his shit together and put together a band it was nearly 2 years after killem all was released and yet mustaine has managed to crank 5 more albums than metallica has

just saying...while metallica turns to shit mustaine gets better and better...in 2001ish dave got rights to use that old material that metallica stole and on world needs a hero you can really feel that throwback to 80's metal and he's carried on in that vein since. Every time you buy a megadeth album you know what you're gonna get...metallica needs to win back fans after that steaming turd known as st anger

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

you can really feel that throwback to 80's metal and he's carried on in that vein since. Every time you buy a megadeth album you know what you're gonna get...metallica needs to win back fans after that steaming turd known as st anger

You see, that's what I don't like.  I know a lot of people don't like it, but Metallica has at least tried to branch out.  As far as I'm concerned heavy metal attained perfection when Master Of Puppets was released.  Metallica could have either spent the rest of their career trying unsuccessfully to top/recreate  that, or they could have started branching out.  I like what they chose to do better.  I like Megadeth quite a bit, but I couldn't listen to them all day long.  If I put Metallica on shuffle, I'm getting a lot of different things, and that's more likely to keep me interested.

I didn't really care for St. Anger, but I don't think it's as bad as most people say.  It's filled with bad decisions on a lot of different levels.  For some reason watching the dvd that came with it is much better than listening to the cd though, I don't know if that's because they admit the songs were cut and pasted together or what, but that's how it is for me.  All that said, I don't like it that much, but I respect the hell out of them for having the balls to do it.

Now all the whiny psychiatry stuff...  That's a little different.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

This poll will close soon, anyone interested in voicing their opinion do it now!  As of now Metallica is leading 9-6...come on droogies help old Vic Rattlehead out!!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I love both bands, but if we're talking commercial success, it's Metallica hands down. Even their crappier albums (Loads/St Anger) sold quite well.

Megadeth are a bit hit and miss for me. They have allot of great songs, but there are an equal amount of pretty ordinary songs in there as well. And I pretty much like all of Metallica's stuff (yes, even the crappy St Anger) so they get my vote there too.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Metallica

Although I think Megadeth has stayed truer to their roots over the years, Metallica is still a stronger force to be reckoned with despite the fact they seem to change bass players each decade.

Metallica is going through a little rough patch right now. They tried to re-invent themselves with Load & Reload and were met with mixed reactions. St. Anger was touted as this big comeback of classic Metallica, and it was probably their worst album to date, and right now everyone is meeting the hype for Death Magnetic with a luke warm reaction after the disappointing St. Anger.

I still think Metallica is the stronger force, based on their catalog from 1983-1991, but I think Metallica's future will be told with Death Magnetic. If they can come back from St. Anger with a strong outing, they'll prove they've still got it. If they don't, and it's another weak outing... they might be looked as the AC/DC of their generation. Respected, but let's be honest - seen their better days.

Board footer