You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: Dave Mustaine: "Buckethead is better than me and Slash combined"

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Rex wrote:

To each his own. 

I prefer Snakepit and the one Dave solo album that wound up being The System Has Failed to any Buckethead.

Well, besides the leaks anyway.

You're back to hating Buckethead again? I thought I cured you of that in 2006.:laugh:

I don't hate him!

I recognize his tremendous talent. 

I'm just more into metal/hard rock and less into experimental stuff.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Rex wrote:

I recognize his tremendous talent.  I'm just more into metal/hard rock and less into experimental stuff.

Good call...I think that's what i was trying to say!! The experimental stuff is interesting and impressive, but I'd trade it for a good solid hook, a killer riff, beautiful lyrics and an impossible solo anyday smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Buckethead is a far better player than Slash imo.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Technically Slash isn't the best player of the world, but I'm still waiting for someone to play as heartfelt and soulful as Slash. Well, Jimmy Page was the closest to this, but Slash is amazing. He's the deepest guitar player of all time when it comes to emotions. BTW he made most of the most famous riffs in the music history. Long live 21

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

While I won't say that Bucket is better than Slash, I will say that since he left GNR Slash hasn't written anything that good.  I don't know if it's because he got lazy or lack of inspiration but he hasn't written anything that would come close to his GNR days since he left.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

While I won't say that Bucket is better than Slash, I will say that since he left GNR Slash hasn't written anything that good.  I don't know if it's because he got lazy or lack of inspiration but he hasn't written anything that would come close to his GNR days since he left.

Ummm...yeah, but that goes both ways.  GnR hasn't written anything that was as good as their previous work as a whole either.  2 potentially decent songs (if they could be stripped down some) does not make an album.  Even with all the filler of UYI, there is far more than "2 potentially decent songs" on each album.

It's really a moot point.  BH is awesome at what he does with his solo work and that seems to be what he enjoys.  Slash is awesome at what he does and that seems to be what he enjoys.  Does it matter if one is "better" than the other?  If we can anjoy what each does best, isn't that more important? 

Unless the album is far more BH dominated than the leaks have been, BH will not mean more to GnR than Slash did...unless by important you mean taking mediocre songs and making them releaseable (if that's a word).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I think the reason some find the songs not as good is the lack of Axl though. Guitar wise the riffs on It's Five O'clock somewhere are similar to AFD, and the solos are UYI esque. It's just that the overall song is less good as it's missing the other people's contribution. The work of 1 member of a 5 part team will never be as good as the work of all 5 when you are dealing with people as talented as Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy etc

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I think that 5 O'Clock's guitar work is as good as AFD's. He played great stuff on ALG, too. I agree that VR is Slash's weakest guitar work, although some songs match with his best GN'R moments. You'd have to listen some Neither Can I, Beggard and Hangers-On, Be The Ball, Back and forth, Speed Parade, Slither, Messages etc... He's still the guitar god, but unfortunately hasn't found another god to sing for him. I wish that his next singer wouldn't limitate the guitar force, at least.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Good point Mikkamakka!  VR needs a singer with Balls too and VR needs to be a Hard Rock band.  Not a pop rock band.  A guy like Bon Scott would be perfect for me.  Some one with Attitude and some vocal range.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I think that 5 O'Clock's guitar work is as good as AFD's. He played great stuff on ALG, too. I agree that VR is Slash's weakest guitar work, although some songs match with his best GN'R moments. You'd have to listen some Neither Can I, Beggard and Hangers-On, Be The Ball, Back and forth, Speed Parade, Slither, Messages etc... He's still the guitar god, but unfortunately hasn't found another god to sing for him. I wish that his next singer wouldn't limitate the guitar force, at least.

This is where I disagree.  While 5 O'clock had some decent songs, it NEVER even came close to AFD(And by the way they'll never come close to that album ever again).  ALG sucked and sucked again big time.  Again that is a matter of opinion.  I never said that Slash is not a guitar God anymore.  I said that is work since he left GNR has been less than stellar.  Would it have made a difference if Axl were involved in his songs post GNR?  Maybe then again maybe not.  Depends on what Axl could've added to those songs.  And remember while I won't imply that Scott Weiland is as talented as Axl he still couldn't make Slash's riffs better and if he did then they must've sucked big time before he added to them cause VR was a failure in my eyes.  There is no denying Slash's talent in playing guitar.  Again like I said maybe he needs to be inspired, maybe he is lazy.  I don't know.  Maybe he needs Axl, Izzy, Duff and Axl.  Maybe Axl needs those guys as well to make good music.  And if you don't believe me.  Get Guitar Hero 3 and play the guitar battle with Slash and listen to the music he wrote.  Then try the guitar battle with Joe Perry in Guitar Hero Aerosmith.  You'll see a huge difference.  Perry was way more inspired than Slash was.

Board footer