You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Random Robin Thoughts

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

also, at the show i went to, i don't remember anyone booing at the band....they were just pissed that Axl wouldn't play Civil War for them....so they booed at him when he didn't want to do it...

Robin was great, he played like a demon, but i have to agree, he was unnoticeable....his solo spots were beer and piss time....but then again, so were the other solo spots....

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Some music for thought: http://youtube.com/watch?v=cN_Grw-GeUg

I post this leaked footage from The Slip DVD, rehearsal footage of Head Down, because Robin treats the song in a way similar to the way he treated AFD. On the previously released rehearsal vids (Echoplex, Letting You, 1,000,000) Robin stuck pretty much to the record. But on this vid dirty distortion in god knows what key takes over. It may sound wrong, like he's fucking up, but in the NIN setting it kind of works.

This is backpeddling from the more exciting theories that either people like Neemo has (he sucks) or myself (it's a dig at the fans and the music, which he doesn't really care for), and goes back tot he most obvious inference - it's merely his interpretation. He likes the way really odd chords sound. So he plays them.

James, I think there's a rehearsal vid of Discipline floating around the net as well. Of course, if you're going to buy The Slip, you'll see it anyway.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

My 2 cents:

A.) It would not be awesome if Buckethead came back.

B.) It would also not be awesome if Finck stayed with NIN.

I think that Robin is more suited for GNR than Fortus or Thall, and that's saying a lot because I really do like and respect the both of them. I could not think of a better predecessor to Slash than Finck. His playing is easily recognized as his own, yet it blends into the music so well that it's not too much.

If you honestly think Finck would be better with NIN and Guns would be better off with Bucketnuts, then maybe I should go audition for Axl.... all I'll have to do is breakdance and play with nunchucks.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

My 2 cents:

A.) It would not be awesome if Buckethead came back.

B.) It would also not be awesome if Finck stayed with NIN.

I think that Robin is more suited for GNR than Fortus or Thall, and that's saying a lot because I really do like and respect the both of them. I could not think of a better predecessor to Slash than Finck. His playing is easily recognized as his own, yet it blends into the music so well that it's not too much.

If you honestly think Finck would be better with NIN and Guns would be better off with Bucketnuts, then maybe I should go audition for Axl.... all I'll have to do is breakdance and play with nunchucks.

Oh, and I don't know, maybe learn to play guitar on a whole new level. bucket

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

James, I think there's a rehearsal vid of Discipline floating around the net as well. Of course, if you're going to buy The Slip, you'll see it anyway.

Here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mz-m4oZLfYU

I like robin a lot more in this kind of context.

Bottom line is he is an industrial player, Axl recruited him to make an industrial record, which he may have done (find out when these 4 albums come out) but then toured the world making him play classic rock that isn't what he is good at.

I see this style, and his 'alien' look as his true immage, and him playing Mr Brownstone and his 'jesus' look as him trying to be a guy he isn't.

I like this rehersal footage though.

Sometimes I'd like to see GNR in this kind of context. Like live pro-shot footage with perfect sound in a small setting to really get a look at everyone! Imagine footage like this of say a song like CD or Rhiad! It would be awesome!

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

Robin plays with feeling.  He is totally into the music and his guitar displays the emotions of the song.  Now for those who complain that he is not into covering AFD, I agree with you.  I'm sure he had greater visions then to be just another touring musician in a cover band.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
Rex wrote:

Oh, and I don't know, maybe learn to play guitar on a whole new level. bucket

A level that's not always suited in a stage/spotlight sharing band. I think BH is much better suited as a solo artist.

Board footer