You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Re: Baz now claims 4 GNR albums exist

Dreamline wrote:

I personally believe that Axl has a ton of material, so enough songs to fill 4 albums sounds about right.

But of course, none of this means anything until we, the fans, get to hear it.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Four discs = approx. 4 hours of music @ 1hr per disc.

Whenever Axl steps into the studio I'd wager everything will be recorded, and I assume Axl records a shit load of demos at his home too even if it's in a rough format. Even if Axl has only worked one day per year for the last 10 years there is going to be at least 100+ hours (80+ discs) of recorded shit locked up somewhere. That would be Axl working at the slowest rate possible too, 1 day out of every 365.

My guess is that the four discs are four finished versions of Chinese Democracy, each containing the occasional different track worked amongst the expected includes like CD, Better, Madagascar, The Blues and IRS. Axl can rework songs, mix up the ordering of songs and generally take this project in any musical direction he wants. Buckethead presumably sampled hundreds of hours worth of guitar fills and solos for the album alone, with any and every genre of music Axl may have wanted.

Certain people in his circle have no doubt heard plenty of this material, and they will be the ones who give Axl feedback on each version of the album.

Axl can 'cut and paste' Chinese Democracy to his hearts content but there will only be one disc labelled as Chinese Democracy. We just have to pray that Axl marries some golddigger who will shamelessly press and package hours of this material as "Special Edition" releases of the album a few days after Uncle Axl pops his clogs 14

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:
bringbackadler wrote:

He may have enough material for 4 separate albums, but what I want to know is how good is the material that he has. None of the demos that I have heard so far suggests that this album will be a masterpiece. I still say he never releases the album. At least with this lineup.

I think he knows that he's waited entirely too long for this album to ever have a fair chance with the media/critics. Unless it is truly the best rock album ever, he will be slammed.

bba

Better, TWAT, the blues and Madagascar are just as good if not better than most of gnr cira 87*93 songs are.  Those songs would easily fit on the UYIs.

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

Btw it is 4 albums of different songs. That is a given. Axl said back in 2002 the plan was to release 3 albums over time, you really dont think he couldnt have extra songs to make a 4th?  Come on now. Its not 4 albums of CD with a few different songs. Axl easily has atleast 48 songs finished to span 12 songs over 4 albums.  He had like 30 songs back in 2000-2002 time period.

Just take the rumored song titles and the ones we do know.

CD
Blues
Maddy
TWAT
IRS
Riyadh
Silkworms
Better
Cather
This I love
Oklhoma
Sorry
Ides of march
Protitute
Seven
Leave Me Alone
General
Thyme
Atlas Shurgged
Sucker Punched
Euglogy of a broken heart
Closing in on you
Zip it
Friend of Foe
No Love remains
Hearts always get killed
Strange Disease

That is 27 right there and those are just from 99-2002

You really dont think they have made 20-25 more since 2002-2007?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
bringbackadler wrote:

He may have enough material for 4 separate albums, but what I want to know is how good is the material that he has. None of the demos that I have heard so far suggests that this album will be a masterpiece. I still say he never releases the album. At least with this lineup.

I think he knows that he's waited entirely too long for this album to ever have a fair chance with the media/critics. Unless it is truly the best rock album ever, he will be slammed.

bba

I agree with some here. The demos are good songs but not "masterpieces" or anything to that degree. That's not slamming the songs either because I do enjoy them. He has waited too long but I think there is still a small chance that the album will get released. I don't think it will be put down in the media by critics if it's not the best rock album ever. If it's a really good solid album then I think it will get the respect it deserves. Anything average or a little better then I could see more of a negative reaction. On those demos alone I don't see it fairing too well.

As for really being four albums worth of material? There could be. I bet there are some really great songs recorded that could never be released. They have been at it for so long there going to be a lot of material. Good and bad.

Bach did say four albums worth of material in the interview. I heard it today on DHA here in New Jersey. They also played Back in the Saddle Again and Love is a Bitch Slap but the version without Axl on it. Pretty entertaining interview overall.

Jameslofton wrote:

Anyone think there is a hint of truth to this, or is Baz just blowing smoke? Whether you love him or hate him, he is really approaching backlash territory here. You can only hype GNR and talk about Axl for so long before the fanbase gets tired of it, and with him releasing an album next month and depending on GNR fans to buy this record, he needs to cool it. Start talking about what HE did on the record. Last time I checked, Angel Down wasn't a 3 song EP.

In this interview today he talked a lot about his band and their contributions to the album. He talked about his own vocals and told a few stories about the recording sessions with him and his band and producer. He definitely promoted himself and his band before Axl Rose's parts on the album. Bach and the DJ did make a joke about China actually getting democracy before the album and GNR slashing the price in half or something to that effect though. But that and the four albums part was all brought up by the guy talking to Bach and asking if had heard Chinese Democracy. Bach isn't banking on Axl and the GNR name he is out there selling himself and his band of talented musicians.

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

When I said that the demos weren't "masterpieces", that wasn't me trying to put the songs down. I like them, and I agree that Blues, TWAT, and CITR could have been songs on the Illusion albums. I wouldn't put Better or Madagascar into that same high category though.

I believe he probably has alot of music, how good it is, and whether he'll ever release it, is another story. I agree with Pride&Glory that the songs will have to be a few notches above the demos that we already have to be able to be able to justify the amount of time it's taken and the fact that Slash isn't on the album.

I hope that he does have a few great albums, I certainly wouldn't mind giving them a listen.

bba

Bullshit.  Axl doesn't have to justify slash not being on the album.    Slash left the band over 11 years ago, people know this by now and arent' expecting him on the album nor can anyone blame Axl for Slash choosing to not be there.    you always find a way to bring him into these threads dont ya?

He shouldn't really have to justify the wait either.  Its his band, his album, he can put it out when he's ready and able.  the amount of time is irrelevant.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

He shouldn't really have to justify the wait either.  Its his band, his album, he can put it out when he's ready and able.  the amount of time is irrelevant.

I agree about not needing to justify Slash no longer being present, but the time issue is most certainly relevant. Lets take a look at the song Chinese Democracy. One of my all time favorite songs, and this song has its beginnings in the 99-00 time frame, and was recorded in the 2001-04 time frame. Does anything justify that three year void? The song cant really be improved, and adding some new guy's fretless sure as hell doesn't justify the wait. The song is worthy of release in its past format, and tweeking it more helps nothing. One other thing that time creates is comparison. We already have demos to compare to whatever the final product is, and the more time goes by, the greater chance of getting more demos to compare. We're already sitting on more than half an album.

What happens if the final product is deemed inferior to the older demos? When this album is leaked/released, most people wont compare it to AFD. They will compare it to the older demos/boots.

Another reason that time is relevant is the band continues to lose members as the wait goes on. Are you telling me BH and Brain leaving was irrelevant? Would Finck and Stinson leaving next be irrelevant? I am in the group who believes that this project cannot survive another key departure.

Sky Dog wrote:

Also, remember, Axl himself said in March 06 that he had A listed 32 songs of which 26 were nearly complete. With the length of Gnr tracks, that is 3 albums there...I still predict, in the end, 2 albums will be released from the Chinese Democracy recording sessions. 2 albums in the span of a year.....The cool thing is Axl could always release a solo record with the crazier stuff. It's like money in the bank to him.

Dowliner, funny article from 1998-300 hours of material they were working with....in 1998! source htgth

February 20th, 1998
Axl Rose takes his time

Fools rush in. Axl takes his sweet time.
According to Guns N' Roses manager Doug Goldstein, Axl Rose is currently ensconced in a Los Angeles studio, working on material for the long-awaited G n' R follow-up to 1991's Use Your Illusion I and II. Rose is writing and jamming with keyboardist Dizzy Reed, guitarist and longtime Rose collaborator Paul Huge, and ex-Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, who has become a full-time member of the band. Goldstein told Rolling Stone that they have recorded more than 300 hours' worth of material, and "they each take a CD home, listen for cool parts, pick them out, and that's how they build songs." He estimates that Axl and Co. are "three to five months away from actual recording" but says not to expect a record until 1999. Four producers are being considered for the project -- which Goldstein describes as an "updated nineties-rock sound with a little more technology thrown in" -- including Scott Litt (R.E.M.), Steve Lillywhite(U2), Mark Bell (Bjork) and Youth (the Verve). Rumored producer Moby took himself out of the running last year to focus on his own work. "It was a very hard decision to make," Moby says. "The music they're working on is really wonderful." Goldstein says that Rose would still love to have Moby hear the G n' R material and offer his insights.

So why the hell has it taken so long to get to this point? "Slash and Axl really thought they could work out their differences," says Goldstein. "They tried for a couple of years to see if they could agree creatively. Once it became clear that they couldn't, we then had to assemble people who could."

****couple that with Axl's comments that they were working on 70 songs in late 1999 plus Brian May saying in 2000 that he heard multiple albums of material with vocals, IT IS COMPLETELY REASONABLE TO THINK THAT 7 YEARS LATER he has 4 albums worth of songs mixed and maybe even mastered.
****James, at a minimum, the new band needs Stinson and Finck. The only two constants. One of those guys leaves and trouble is a brewing. Bumble could always be replaced by Bucket, who would probably consider a return if an album was released...same with Brain. Richard.....just grab Izzy! A real rhythm player!

madagas wrote:

****James, at a minimum, the new band needs Stinson and Finck. The only two constants. One of those guys leaves and trouble is a brewing. Bumble could always be replaced by Bucket, who would probably consider a return if an album was released...same with Brain. Richard.....just grab Izzy! A real rhythm player!

Dizzy too..

Board footer