You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Re: REZNOR On Illegal Downloading.

Horrific wrote:

http://nymag.com/ magazine recently conducted an interview with NINE INCH NAILS mastermind Trent Reznor and spoken-word and hip-hop artist Saul Williams about their collaboration on Williams' new album, "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust!" A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

New York: What inspired you to go the [RADIOHEAD] route with this album?

Trent: I think it's just an awkward time right now to be a musician. The reality is that people think it's okay to steal music. There's a whole generation of people, that's all they've known. I used to buy vinyl. Today, if you do put out a record on a label, traditionally, most people are going to hear it via a leak that happens two weeks '” if not two months '” before it comes out. There's no real way around that. I'm truly saddened because I think music has been devalued, so that it's just a file on your computer, and it's usually free. But we can't change that. What we can do is try to offer people the best experience that we can provide them. Will it work? I don't know. But I think it's a great way to get music out to people who are interested. At the end of the day, all I care about is the integrity of the music, and that the feeling of those who experience it is as untainted as possible. I'd rather it not be on an iPod commercial. I'd rather it not be a ringtone that you have to get with a free cell phone or any of that bullshit.

New York: Are you using this project, Trent, to test the waters for a self-released NIN record?

Trent: There isn't a NINE INCH NAILS record done. I'm starting one right now. If I had one that was done, I would [release] it today in exactly the same way. I won't have one done for several months. One of the things that started this in motion with Saul was me sitting around thinking about finally getting off a major label, which I think is the right move for NINE INCH NAILS. I wasn't looking to jump right back into another binding contract with a big company, and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't advising Saul to do that in today's climate. We decided to go the route we did, and we'll see what happens.

New York: How long do you think before the labels are out of business?

Trent: I mean, who knows? I remember a time when it felt like, being on a major label, our interests were aligned. At times, it's a pretty well-oiled machine and the luxury is that I feel like I've got a team of people who are taking care of the shit I don't want to think about. I don't care about the radio guy, I just want to make music. But those days are gone. Because, mainly, that infrastructure is broken at the moment. How long before [record companies] are irrelevant? Who knows? They seem to be doing everything they can to make sure that happens as quickly as possible.

New York: What do you think about OiNK being shut down?

Trent: I'll admit I had an account there and frequented it quite often. At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted. If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn't the equivalent of that in the retail space right now. iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc. Amazon has potential, but none of them get around the issue of pre-release leaks. And that's what's such a difficult puzzle at the moment. If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it? People on those boards, they're grateful for the person that uploaded it '” they're the hero. They're not stealing it because they're going to make money off of it; they're stealing it because they love the band. I'm not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want.

Read the entire interview at http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 … liams.html

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Excellent interview. I think its great that some of the high profile musicians can see the disaster on the horizon and are trying to find ways to not get destroyed by it.

What he says is true. Music is nothing but files on a computer now, and this current generation wants those files for free.

Funny though: a bunch of MIA fans want her to hurry and do another album. Maybe if they would buy the album she is currently doing a tour for it would give her an incentive to record another one.

AtariLegend wrote:

Wow... thats a very clear & stark contrast between Axl + Reznor... and its not like it they aren't related in this sense. Axl saw something NIN were doing and followed that in his own sense, although they both have major direct influence over their fansite boards, they see what the fans do in a very different way.

Of course Reznor spending 6 years on a new album, isn't the same as Axl spending 10-14+ years.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

I like Trent's way of thinking,like you say Jameslofton,it's a pitty that not more top artists/musicians starts thinking like this.Just one question though,where does this leave record companies.Deff not in a very good space.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It's a good interview, and I'm currently listening to NiggyTardust.

I pre-ordered it because it's a great deal. 5 dollars to the one's involved, just 5 dollars, and just to those who made the music. Sadly reading NIN boards a lot of people chose to not buy it even though they were going to download it for free. Is 5 dollars such a big risk to take? Especially with an artist like Saul, who actually needs the cash to continue his career?

Those who are not going to buy this but still listen to it are going to be the reason this experiment fails. You have 5 dollars to waste, if you consider 15 tracks a waste.

Board footer