You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: "Chicken Dinner" Shackler's Revenge Leak

Axl S wrote:

It depends partially on how this was made on Rockband. On GH 3 the song on expert to beat was that Dragonforce song and that made them and their music quite a bit popular. If this track is the killer on expert then it will get some cred for that. Also the people complaining about this not getting into the Top 40. GN'R were never gonna get there anyway. I mean it's full of RN'B and stuff and GN'R were never gonna break into that market or start some sort of musical trend. The best they can hope for is getting on the top of the rock charts like the metal bands of today.

Sky Dog wrote:

I'm skeptical too Jimmy.....that is why I have always been in favor of dropping the entire record first, then releasing a single.....like Radiohead did with In Rainbows....make people listen to the whole body of work.:thumbup:

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

as a regular mortal gnr fan i`d wanna hear Better as a single... its a much easier transition to hear Better than to hear Shacklers... besides, i think SR was thrown together for one purpose, and that was Rock Band 2... the lyrics are uninspired, the vocals arent great.. plus its a 3min song.. a no nonsense song perfect for rock band 2

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

I have a hard time imagining this as the lead single. I  dig this track, but I just don't think it's the best choice to kick off the album. Then again I can see why they would choose a heavy song like this because GNR is supposed to have some balls.

I'm sending it to my friend to see his reaction. He is a casual GNR fan so he hasn't followed the CD saga and hasn't heard any of the other leaks.

Well, out of the songs we've heard the only realistic single options are CD, Riyadh, and Shackler. The other two songs are ancient and have always been accessible to any fans interested, so they gotta go with Shackler or a song we haven't heard yet.

For me Better is by far and away the best choice. I think they should just go with the strongest track, but I think you are right that they will go with SR or an unheard track.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You're right - they will just change the station.  No need to analyze, just hit a button when a song you don't like comes on.  I guarantee you that there will be a lot of people that don't make it through the first verse.  The only chance of them listening beyond that is if they want to analyze it, otherwise they'll either change the station or think about something else until the next song comes on.

change the station? first of all, this will be played mostly on modern rock stations.  usually there is only one station like that to choose from. MOST people that listen to rock listen mostly to rock and are not gonna change the station to rap or country because they just can't make it through this short song.

secondly, how many poeople at that point are hating the song enough to change it anwyays. whether we like it or not is opinion but this song is obviously fluid enough to avoid annoying people who are rock fans but not into this particular song.

again, you have your opinion, and you are entitled to that but gnr is not trying to impress you - they are trying to impress the masses as much as possible and the people that have heard this song, excluding the really bitter and pathetic die hards that will never be impressed no matter what axl does without slash, are loving this song at about 90 percent and i am reading multiple comments from them saying how "catchy" it is and how awesome it is so i think this song will do well as a single, provided they promote it properly.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Burning Hills got dropped in the MSL interview. Now everyone is involved 10

war

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

I have a hard time imagining this as the lead single. I  dig this track, but I just don't think it's the best choice to kick off the album. Then again I can see why they would choose a heavy song like this because GNR is supposed to have some balls.

I'm sending it to my friend to see his reaction. He is a casual GNR fan so he hasn't followed the CD saga and hasn't heard any of the other leaks.

Well, out of the songs we've heard the only realistic single options are CD, Riyadh, and Shackler. The other two songs are ancient and have always been accessible to any fans interested, so they gotta go with Shackler or a song we haven't heard yet.

lol
riyadh isn't a single james.  it's not popular among gnr fans much less casual rock fans.

deep down inside you know the difference between your own personal preferences and reality. very deep down inside. 14

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

lol
riyadh isn't a single james.  it's not popular among gnr fans much less casual rock fans.

deep down inside you know the difference between your own personal preferences and reality. very deep down inside. 14

Its the biggest departure from the classic GNR sound yet, and if Axl is aiming towards the future and not the past, its viable as a single.

Other than Shackler, Riyadh is the only song that doesn't scream UYI III.

war

war wrote:

i agree with your reasoning
imo the song will not be liked by the masses but i could be wrong

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I think this song can be successful. First of all, one complaint I'm seeing is that it won't get played at all on classic rock stations. Good! This material is dated enough, I don't want to see it played next to a ZZ Top song and a Winger song. Not with the Stones and Roth Van Halen. To be successful they have to appeal to a younger audience, and the 90s have a lot more influence on now than the 80s do. And I hear NIN and Zombie on the radio pretty regularly.

I don't know about people, but stations are going to play it. And anyone curious enough to listen to it all the way through will be exposed to the chorus enough to tolerate it.

What buzz is saying about gamers is way off imo. The whole thing with video games is the high score. Teens/college kids aren't going to play the song once, suck it up, and never play it again - for the most part. They may skip by it for a while, but when everything they like is at 98-99% they're going to come back and play Shackler until it's a high enough score. Not to mention having multiple instruments means you're listening and talking to your friends while hearing the music. If one out of 3 Rock Band players love it, all 3 are going to hear it quite a bit.

Motley Crue made more money from their download single to RB than their album did on its own.

This is the right song, this is the right format, this is the right time.

Board footer