You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Lay Your Cards on the Line

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

russtcb wrote:
bringbackadler wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

One other thing regarding the Mysteron statement: They just crossed the line in the sand. It has went from being GNR as the reason for the hold up to the record company. They can no longer say "the album needs more work', 'Axl has to tidy up the vocals',etc.

I agree that Mysteron's latest comments are a change, but they could still go back to "the album needing more work." Axl has said that the album was done before, the cover art, all that good stuff. We know how that panned out. Axl, Merck and Mysteron said that the album was coming out last year, we know how that panned out. Things change all the time in the GN'R world. It's never ever their fault. It's always some unforseen obstacle. roll

I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if we were sititng here in November 2008 discussing why it still isn't out yet. Like I said, I hope that I'm wrong, but we'll see.

bba

Exactly. They could always say "The label said the album needs more work"

They could but it would be absoloute suicide to say that. That's effectively admitting it's been rejected, no way does GNR want to say that their 10 year in the making album wasn't good enough for the record company, anticipation for the album would plummet.

That's why Mysteron's comment is quite interesting, unlike most of his posts this one has very little wriggle room, if they back away from what Mysteron has said it only makes things look worse.

The record company could well be holding things up without Axl having handed the album in. Perhaps he's set some terms, you get the album but only if..... and they are mulling over those terms, who knows. I suppose best case scenario is they have the album and are now thinking of a plan of action etc for a release most likely next year now. However I wouldn't even dare dream that 16

Overall though I take this as positive news 9

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

That's why Mysteron's comment is quite interesting, unlike most of his posts this one has very little wriggle room, if they back away from what Mysteron has said it only makes things look worse.

Excuse my ignorance, but when has Mysteron been officially confirmed as a GNR liaison? I mean, GNR never mentioned anything about the album, some guy on the internet claiming to be part of the GNR camp has, but what does that mean?

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

TheMole wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but when has Mysteron been officially confirmed as a GNR liaison? I mean, GNR never mentioned anything about the album, some guy on the internet claiming to be part of the GNR camp has, but what does that mean?

Exactly, Mole.

Jarmo spent the entire year telling everyone that the album was coming out in 2007. He dissed everyone who dared to disagree with him, and alot of people consider him an "insider" of some kind.

bba

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

1. Who broke up the old band?

The great dynamic in the old band was caused by the fusion of musical styles and the tension of different artistic personalities. Whilst i've never met Axl, I'd say its fair to say from the history of the band, and interviews with many who have delt with him that *at times* he can be a difficult person to deal with. This is not to bash him, as I think these same traits are also what has given him the ability to write such amazing music. Anyway - you add to that equation others who are known to be direct in their wishes (like Slash) and then create a mess of drugs, fame and drama and theres going to be some problems. I don't think it achieves anything now to apportion blame to any one person.

However it does bug me when some people like to go on about how all the other members quit as if they are all quitters who can't achieve anything and just left Axl for no reason, as  I feel phrasing it that way does not take account of the dynamics of the situation. EG: Axl getting the others to sign the rights over, the re0recording of Slash's parts by Paul Huge and a bunch of other tensions.

Some were driven out, some quit and some were fired. What's important is that people can only do their best at any one moment, and we all are who we are, and what matters is the great music that was made before the breakup.

2. Do you want a reunion before Chinese Democracy-all original members only?

I don't think this question should be phrased as an either or like this. I mean i think at this point everyone wants to hear CD due to the wait. This is even true of the old band who seem to express interest in hearing what it will be like.

If CD is infact finished as we are told, then theres no reason why reuniting the old band would mean it can't be released anyway.

If that happened either:

(a) it could be released - then the old band could reform and tour with it anyway (Currently Axl tours with a band that didn't write 90% of the songs they play - so simply adding some CD era tracks in would be like the old guys playing some covers as they did from time to time.)

(b) They could release it and ignore it. Much like metallica now ignore St Anger it seems.

(c) it could be released under a non-gnr name

or

(d) the old band could finish it up with Axl (although if its really already done this would be pointless). But then Axl does have those 4 cds worth of stuff in progess apparently...

Also  we know Slash had a CD full of Izzy and Him riffs that Scott rejected. Theres no reason why axl couldn't wack some vocals over that...then release a mega CD release that has the material from both bands on it!! (I figure the old guys were cool with 'my world' so its only an extension of that to have some other tracks on. As long as they had enough of their own stuff too)

But i guess thats all a bit far fetched. All i'm saying is no one wants a reunion where CD is thrown out totally i'd guess.

3. What is holding up Chinese Democracy?

Theres no way to know this. I think for much of the time the band was not actively persuing the project. Now its apparently done and theres business issues. I'll take that at face value. Theres no way we can no anything else.

4. If it is business matters, who is at fault?

Well...in most legal disputes all parties could give up some ground. But again we have no way to know this.

5. Assume Chinese is a smashing success, after all the current material is released, would you still want a reunion of the original band?

The original band is my fave band of all time, so of course i'd always like them to make more music. Although if the new band turns out to make awesome stuff it would be bitter sweet - as it would come at the cost of loosing the new band and VR.

To me the question here is what are the prospects of the new band being an on-going concern? Like assuming CD comes out this year or next or the year after - then it would be toured and so forth. How long till another album. I mean if Axl followed that plan he had once to release a few albums in subsequent years - then sure - hold of a reunion so we get all that - but if its basicly done after CD - and its just touring - and another 10 years of song development then i'd be all for a reunion.

However - I always say with a reunion - i'd love to see more recordings. While a show would be fun - it would be gimmicy in a way. And what could be achieved replaying the old songs so many years latter when the original peformances were so wild and timeless. Although i'd kill to be theres and love it - in one regard it would be just like trying to create somehting thats been lost to time and destined to be a lesser (due to the guys ages) version of its old self.

But what would be possible and interesting is RECORDING. In the studio - there would be no tour stress to promote drug relapses, bust ups and fights. Axl wouldn't have to worry if his voice would be A1 on a particular day, Slash wouldn't have to worry about his pacemaker going off or whatever it says in his book.

But they could recapture the magic of blending the different styles and influences - and give us one (or more) more damn fine GNR moments before we all die!

Well...i've ranted when I was told not to - So i just wanna sum up:

(a) Dont blame Axl or Slash - its all way to complex for us to know
(b) Can't wait to hear CD - hopefully soon
(c) Would love to hear the old band record more works one day.

Finally in regard to the BBA vs JB disputes....i mean its basicly that you guys like two different bands, that have 1 member in common, and both use the same name. That was always the problem with keeping the name.

So for JB to say that BBA doesn't like GNR cos he doesn't like the new members is silly. Yes they may me what it means to be GNR now. But you can be a fan of GNR just because you like the records, in which case of course your still a GNR fan if you only like the people who made them.

But likewise it seems BBA doesn't accept that guys like JB relate to the modern band, like the new music more, and generally have no interest in the old guys.

So where do I fit in?

Well I like Slash and the old band BUT I also like the new works of the new band.

i'm not a huge fan of the new band playing the old music. I know guys like JB enjoy the new versions more and I can respect that. And I dont mean any disrespect to the guys in the new band either as they're amazing guitar players.

But for me - I like to hear music performed by the writers of it and with the feel the authors gave it, (rather than the interpretation of another talented muso). I understand that its a relaity that the band has to play the old songs. All i'm saying is for my part I have minimal interest in hearing the guitar parts performed by others. So i go to shows to enjoy Axl's voice. However, I love the new songs and the leaks very very much. So i love the entire band when they play their own creations.

So i guess you could say i have a foot in both camps. I love the new leaks - but i'd never turn down seeing Axl and Slash do what they do best together!

Sorry for the long rant - but now you know the psychology behind my posts anyhow!

monkeychow wrote:

Finally in regard to the BBA vs JB disputes....i mean its basicly that you guys like two different bands, that have 1 member in common, and both use the same name. That was always the problem with keeping the name.

I've been a GN'R fan since 1991.  I'm just past the old lineup and don't see a need to make any changes to it now or bring back 1991. tea.gif

bringbackadler

Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I've been a GN'R fan since 1991.  I'm just past the old lineup and don't see a need to make any changes to it now or bring back 1991. http://www.misterspunky.com/faces/tea.gif

I never said that I don't like Axl's new band. I'm not being bias specifically towards them, I always prefer the actual bands to those who just cover their songs.

I live near a club that has cover bands every Friday night. I saw a Motley Crue and a Queensryche cover band recently, but I didn't prefer them over the real bands either.

Just because I prefer the original band doesn't mean that I'm stuck in the past. Like I said, some people just spend too much time on websites that don't allow an alternate opinion. (htgth).

bba

you don't have to say it.   you come into every thread and remind us of how bad you want a reunion every chance you get and on every board you post.  you are known as a troll, i'm not insulting you, thats just the way people see you.   you never have anything positive to say about GN'R.

bringbackadler

Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

you don't have to say it.   you come into every thread and remind us of how bad you want a reunion every chance you get and on every board you post.  you are known as a troll, i'm not insulting you, thats just the way people see you.   you never have anything positive to say about GN'R.

Get a grip, homey.

I said multiple times yesterday that I look forward to hearing Chinese D. I'm just honestly not convinced that day will ever come.

All I said was I wasn't impressed with Baz's new songs and some of you Axlites started freaking out. They're not that good, but that's just my opinion. That doesn't mean that you can't go out and buy the album just because I don't care for it. You don't like VR but that didn't stop me from listening to them.

As for being a "troll", how about questioning your own motives, say in the VR section of htgth. How many times has Falcon had to chew your ass for , what's it called ..... oh yea, being a troll.  22

bba

Board footer