You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

nugdafied wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Shackler's? 

That song blows anything Slash has done post-GNR out of the water.  Period.  bucket

We need a clown icon, so that when simple jacks make foolish posts like the one quoted, I can just :clown: them. :clown: And this is no slight to Buckethead.

Here's Slash, layin' it down live, while Axl & whoever he has on payroll this week circle jerk in the studio.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Want to reword this now that we have Shackler's?

No, I don't.

Shackler's to me is in the same league as say... Shotgun Blues?
The solo is technically impressive but doesn't speak to me. And the poppy chorus is uninspired, repetitive, and ripped-off from somewhere I can't remember right now.

Gotta admit though, it's the best rocker we've had from these guys. I still prefer TWAT.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
faldor wrote:

Wow, that's quite the rant by The Mole.  Since when did his girfriend become the dictator on what good music is?

Good, be cynical instead of reading what's actually written. She doesn't, I'm just seeking an unbiased opinion outside the GNR community, since they're obviously starstruck by Axl's brigade.

It's just really strange to be on a GNR board and have to read all the Slash hate all the time. This is almost like on HTGTH just before Jarmo went completely bonkers. almost...

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
TheMole wrote:

What the rest of the boys have put out in the mean time is miles and miles beyond what Axl has done.

Yeah, having my tapeworm abortion raped is "miles and miles" beyond anything GNR can come up with.:haha:

The post GNR resume of the "rest of the boys" is extremely dull. The songs all basically sound the same. Slash wouldn't step out of his comfort zone if he had a gun aimed at his head. You can enjoy the safe bland rock, but its not "miles and miles" above anything. In fact, its just the same old shit.

Neither Can I, Beggars, Dime Store Rock, Take It Away, Always On The Run, Serial Killer, Landslide, Big Machine, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Get Out The Door, Messages, Don't Drop That Dime, ...

all way better that any of the nuGNR demo's.

A few stale rockers and generic ballads better than CD?? Come on. I'll be the first to admit that CD isn't breaking any new ground, but at least Axl has the balls to think a bit outside the box.

Ok, James. Respect where respect is due and all. But what box does Axl think outside of? Is his logic then that if it doesn't sound like GNR, it's brand new, it's groundbreaking, it's good?

If I wanted to hear NIN, I'd be on a NIN board, if I wanted to hear stale hiphop beats, I'd be listening to that, if I wanted to hear less impressive version of the most mediocre UYI ballads I'd listen to the UYI's without Slash&Izzy. Apparantly, if I want to hear a whole range of stolen ideas mixed together and cooked to a smelly stew, I need to be an on GNR board these days.

I hate it when something has to be "new" or "groundbreaking" to be good. Fuck that, a song has to be good to be good.

Lyrics wise, I don't care either way, but "tapeworm abortion" is indeed in very much the same league as "pussy full of maggots" as far as I'm concerned.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
TheMole wrote:
faldor wrote:

Wow, that's quite the rant by The Mole.  Since when did his girfriend become the dictator on what good music is?

Good, be cynical instead of reading what's actually written. She doesn't, I'm just seeking an unbiased opinion outside the GNR community, since they're obviously starstruck by Axl's brigade.

It's just really strange to be on a GNR board and have to read all the Slash hate all the time. This is almost like on HTGTH just before Jarmo went completely bonkers. almost...

Hey I don't hate Slash, far from it.  I'd love to see he and Axl share a stage in the future, I just don't see it happening so I've moved on.  Sure there are gonna be people who hate the material on CD (if it ever comes out).  There's plenty of people who hated Libertad as well, I might remind you.  I've gotten some positive unbiased opinions on Shackler's too, so again it goes both ways.  It's a stark difference from the old band.  Something Slash would never be a part of, maybe that's why he's not in the band anymore. 

And again, I'm not a Slash hater, I know they exist although still unsure why.  I love some of his work on the VR material, I just don't think it stands up to his work in GNR and I can see the new band eclipsing VR's work as well.  That's all.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TheMole wrote:

That's an unfair accusation and you know it. There isn't "Slash hate here all the time".

what box does Axl think outside of? Is his logic then that if it doesn't sound like GNR, it's brand new, it's groundbreaking, it's good?

He pushes himself and those around him. None of it is groundbreaking, but he is outside of his element on some of these tracks and he deserves kudos for that. He could play it safe if he wanted to by recording another AFD. He's also a lyrical genius and is light years ahead of former gunners in that regard as well.

If I wanted to hear NIN, I'd be on a NIN board, if I wanted to hear stale hiphop beats, I'd be listening to that, if I wanted to hear less impressive version of the most mediocre UYI ballads I'd listen to the UYI's without Slash&Izzy.

Well, that goes both ways. If someone wants to hear extremely dated GNR-lite, they'll listen to the resumes of the former gunners.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
nugdafied wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Shackler's? 

That song blows anything Slash has done post-GNR out of the water.  Period.  bucket

We need a clown icon, so that when simple jacks make foolish posts like the one quoted, I can just :clown: them. :clown: And this is no slight to Buckethead.

Here's Slash, layin' it down live, while Axl & whoever he has on payroll this week circle jerk in the studio.

is that video supposed to hammer home some point? slash made 3 mistakes in the first 15 seconds of the solo, which like the song, is the same old boring rock.  since this is the velvet revolver section i won't rip slash or vr but what don't you understand mole? people can rip slash all they want - he's not in the band anymore and this a guns n roses webiste. almost everybody here seems to respect what he has done in the past but have come to the reality that the new music has gone in a direction that slash could never follow. had he been willing to play in a three guitarist set he'd probably still be in the band tearing into the blues but that didn't happen.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
TheMole wrote:

That's an unfair accusation and you know it. There isn't "Slash hate here all the time".

what box does Axl think outside of? Is his logic then that if it doesn't sound like GNR, it's brand new, it's groundbreaking, it's good?

He pushes himself and those around him. None of it is groundbreaking, but he is outside of his element on some of these tracks and he deserves kudos for that. He could play it safe if he wanted to by recording another AFD. He's also a lyrical genius and is light years ahead of former gunners in that regard as well.

If I wanted to hear NIN, I'd be on a NIN board, if I wanted to hear stale hiphop beats, I'd be listening to that, if I wanted to hear less impressive version of the most mediocre UYI ballads I'd listen to the UYI's without Slash&Izzy.

Well, that goes both ways. If someone wants to hear extremely dated GNR-lite, they'll listen to the resumes of the former gunners.

He can't write another AFD without the people who wrote that album. tongue I agree that he's a lyrical genius, although he's more cheesy than a 15-year old boy before losing his virginity. He's thinking outside of the box... well, last time I checked 80s cheese, hip-hop elements and industrial rip-offs were in the box. There is clearly nothing 'outside of the box' for Axl. The song structures aren't special... I mean... they're special, but in the wrong way: forced mixes of non-matching elements. Unfortunately Axl can't put together a song anymore, as it seems. Some of the new stuff is great (TWAT), some has elements of greatness, but... it's simply not enough. He should write better songs in 2 years than 3/4 of the material we've heard.

I used to have a 'plan' to take revenge on Axl for fucking with us this long, so I didn't want to buy the album in the first week. Not much, I know, but some kind of revenge... Now I doubt I'll even buy his record, cause except TWAT, I got bored of it and the material hasn't impressed me enough to pay 25-30 bucks for it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

He's thinking outside of the box... well, last time I checked 80s cheese, hip-hop elements and industrial rip-offs were in the box.

We're talking GNR box here, not the whole music world. Praxis tracks with hip hop beats from The Fat Boys are a huge departure from the classic GNR sound. Some of this is mired in 1991 no doubts there, but risks have been taken and I find it hard to believe even hardcore Slash lovers wont admit that.

He should write better songs in 2 years than 3/4 of the material we've heard.

We definitely agree on that. Bucket could have released this in five minutes.

Chinese Democracy is practically a Bucket album that should have been released right before Electric Tears.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
war wrote:

... but have come to the reality that the new music has gone in a direction that slash could never follow. had he been willing to play in a three guitarist set he'd probably still be in the band tearing into the blues but that didn't happen.

I would much rather have Slash play what he has in his heart than doing what Tommy Lee did. Music can go in a different direction, but do you hear many people praising musical output in general these days? My only real concern with VR's work is that Scott Weiland isn't my type of singer. Seeing as we're in 2008 waiting for Chinese Democracy still, I don't think it was in Slash's best interests to stay in the band. It's not like Axl has the next Bohemian Rhapsody in the cards, as much as I enjoy the leaks (and I do very much).

The excuse of Slash not being able to keep up with the times has always been moot to me, because I don't view music as a timed affair. If it's not timeless, it's most likely not worth listening to. I don't mean timeless in the sense that it's not a grandiose affair or a true classic, but the sound has to be something that can be enjoyed for a long time or it's most likely a flash in the pan pop single or the rock-rap crap that everyone liked as 13 year olds but none of us will touch as adults.

Plus, if Axl's idea of keeping up with the times is to release an album every 15 years... wink

Board footer