You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: Song #2 (Prostitute) is the biggest gun of all IMO

NY Giants82 wrote:

It took me a little bit to warm up to Song #2, but it has grown on me. Its actually one of my favorites of the "newer" leaks. As stated before, the lyrics are masterful IMO.

JIP
 Rep: 10 

JIP wrote:

Song #2 is just a very difficult song to play,to sing,to create....
I like seein' Axl makin' songs like that...The wonderful melody of the lyrics gives a 3 min battle with power riffs and amazing drums and keyboards....
9/10

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

3 Doors Down peaked at 17 (not sure how long it was there though).  Are you going to tell me that GnR can't do better than 3 Doors Down, especially with all the years of hype?  If that's the case, Axl may as well close down shop now.  I'm not asking for a #1 song, but top 20 for a few weeks isn't being overly demanding.

Oh I HOPE GNR can outdo 3 Doors Down.  It looks like it'll be tough for "Shackler's Revenge" to crack the top 20 though, just going by the recent history of NO hard rock tracks being able to do that.  A ballad, yes, that would be possible.  I thought "The Blues" had that crossover potential, but that was 8 years ago.  I don't know if it could still hold up today.  The time may have passed.  I still think it's a solid song though.  Song 2 probably has a little too much going on in it for it to be a big hit.  CITR may have "it" but that supposedly is not in the plans for CD, then again what do we know?

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

As for commercial success, I expect GNR to do close to as well as the biggest rock bands around these days do. That means a lot less than it used to. GNR's top single could not even be top 40 and qualify as 'as successful as any rock is'. If their sales and singles (in the States) can do as well as Metallica's, and a little less than U2's, I'll be happy. The days of rock ballads ever hitting #1 are long gone.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Communist China wrote:

As for commercial success, I expect GNR to do close to as well as the biggest rock bands around these days do. That means a lot less than it used to. GNR's top single could not even be top 40 and qualify as 'as successful as any rock is'. If their sales and singles (in the States) can do as well as Metallica's, and a little less than U2's, I'll be happy. The days of rock ballads ever hitting #1 are long gone.

That's basically the point I'm trying to make.  I think some of the songs will chart very well on the rock charts, but not so much on the overall top 40 pop chart.  That just doesn't happen these days.  If GNR can crack that list consistently then they will have changed the landscape of music AGAIN!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Rock is comming back though....at least it seems to be fighting its way back over here....1980s is getting cool again! 3

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Rock is comming back though....at least it seems to be fighting its way back over here....1980s is getting cool again! 3

No, retro is becoming cool again.  This song is anything but retro.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Saikin wrote:

No, retro is becoming cool again.  This song is anything but retro.

Very true. I was thinking like - usually when stuff comes back it's slightly different. Like how in 70s girls wore low cut pants and flares...and they brought elements of that style back in the late 90s early 00s with the hipster craze and all that.

I figure a song like song 2 is retro enough to evoke images of classics like November Rain...but produced modern enough to not be mistaken for an old song and thus kinda still be edgy.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

In my opinion essentially anything of any genre can chart, and chart well, on the mainstream as well as the rock charts. there is very little doubt the album itself will debut at #1 simply because of the hype that surrounds it, if the singles(whatever they are) are marketed effectively as well as the album itself, there should be no reason a chinese dem single couldn't hit at least top 10 on the mainstream 100. an example being that terrible cockrock band hinder; their single 'lips of an angel', while terrible, was not overly poppy and contained elements of the conventional rock ballad/hardrocker. the song itself peaked at number 1 here in Australia and i am certain it charted well in the U.S and Canada. i would never compare the two bands(hinder and GNR) but it is evident that as long as a rock song has appeal, a chinese dem single will also have the added advantage of being released under the name Guns n Roses as well being propelled by the hype, that it can chart and chart well. it is obvious that just because it is rock does not mean it is automatically redundant amongst the mainstream audience, especially considering who we're talking about here-Guns N Roses.

my apologies for the 'stupid' remark, i was so swept up in the excitement of hearing shackler's that anyone who dissed its it automatically became my enemy.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ Interest point...very different bands...but I think you are onto something about the top 40 not being limited to any one sound inherently, its also true that well placed marketing and hype could make almost any release temporarily chart well too I think.

Board footer