You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

Re: Can Guns learn from Metallica?

ereeper wrote:

With the release of the single by Metallica yesterday, it got me thinking.

Metallica was smart by having a link on their site.  You can listen to the song, but yet can't download.  That way everyone can get their fix and check it out.  At the same time, they released it to itunes.  So, if you don't like the song, after one listen you can just disregard, but if you MUST have it now, you can simply pay the 99 cents and download.  So everyone that still buys the album has also coughed up an additional buck for the first single.  It would be interesting to see how many downloads the song got yesterday and how much money it can generate.

Now enter SR.  Would it be wise that around the release of the game that Guns did something very similar?  They could put a link on the site and release it to itunes as well.  One more way to make a quick buck and pay back the millions.  Then you would have the Rock Band money, the itunes money, and possible the exclusive seller of CD money.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

posibility....

but when have GNR ever done the simple route tongue

ereeper

ereeper wrote:

True, but if I were the label and Azoff I would looking for every way possible to generate a bigger buzz and create income.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Maybe in this sense but Metallica is hardly a role model for the non-music side of things. They treat their fans pretty badly too. It's a good enough plan, but if they really want to impress they need to go the NIN route and give away the single for free, with artwork, lyrics and writing credits, and promote the giving away of the song everywhere they can. I doubt they'll do this but it's a way to get very positive articles written and it'll make the fans happy.

The other really good plan is to have more than Shackler's up for sale at iTunes whent he single comes out. Include a demo take, or an alternate version, or a b-side that'll never make album release.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

i dont think GNR exploit every possible angle like they should

ereeper

ereeper wrote:

Yeah, I thought Metallica would have had a b-side on itunes, but they did not.  When Pearl Jam gave away WWS for free I think it lasted maybe a day, a week at the longest.  Then when WWS hit itunes, it was a true single with another song off of the album.  I'm thinking the second song that went with it was Unemployable.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GN'R are anti-internet. Proven TIME and AGAIN.

They'll never do anything smart as long as they, and the people around them live like it's still 1992. Get with the times Axl.

ereeper

ereeper wrote:

I know they haven't been the greatest internet band, but at least be thankful for the 06 tour where we had first crack at tickets.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh, i'm so impressed. roll

Board footer