You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Re: **Kevin Cogill Who Leaked 9 GnR Songs Arrested Today**

Dreamline wrote:

First if all, to The Mole - Unfortunately with the time difference between us, the conversation we started to have has already fallen back a few pages.  Anyway, that discussion is sort of beyond the scope of this thread.  It would be interesting to discuss though, so maybe we can start a new thread about it.

Secondly, thank you Bright Eyes for your contributions to this discussion.  It's refreshing to see assertions backed up with evidence and not just the typical "I heard this from so-and-so who's grandmother is an insider" bullshit.  The level of rational discussion here makes me proud to be involved with this site.

Now, while I agree with your assertion that the FBI is required by law to pursue the prosectution of a crime, the point you seem to be missing is that many of us assume the band would have to be involved on some level, at least to verify their copyright to the material.  Someone could leak a CD of my band's songs, but the RIAA or FBI is not going to prosecute that person without checking that actually have rights to them.  Obviously, the scale here is different, but you get the point.

However, I don't know the intricacies of music publishing, so I can't say for sure.  I guess it's possible that these songs have already been filed with ASCAP (or whomever) and the FBI simply had to verify with them that GNR owned the rights to these songs.  Then again, in this day of intentional leaks and viral marketing, I can't imagine that the FBI would pursue this without some verification that it was not intentional. 

Basically, I'm on the fence as to how involved the band may have been. tongue

But the thing that strikes me as pointless about the debate between you and James, is that I don't think it really matters.  Maybe the FBI and RIAA acted completely on their own.  Maybe Axl personally phoned up the Governator and got him to pull some strings to get the ball rolling.  But the reality is, Joe Public is not going to look into or even consider the intricacies of copyright law.  To the average guy, it's gonna be "Axl's a dick and fucking over his fans."  That doesn't sound like a good thing.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Most people think Axl's a dick anyway, no matter what he does or what happens.  He could personally hand deliver Dr. Pepper's to everyone across America and people would be picking him apart to some degree.

I'm not one of those people by the way.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
faldor wrote:
Saikin wrote:
madagas wrote:

It's even bigger than that Saiken. When te Riaa goes after somebody, they are doing it in the interests of labels and artists. This isn't a game made up by some sick Gnr fans or Dle James or Fernando or whoever. This is an industry wide ordeal like Metallica vs Napster....the downloading game is coming under serious fire.

Oh i agree with that, i was just giving a smaller aspect of the issue, the one directly related to Chinese Democracy. 

I agree with your post.  This is much bigger than just a guy leaking some demos from CD.  This is yet another pathetic attempt to try and stop downloading.  It didn't work with Metallica, and it won't work now.  All it did before was hurt Metallica's rep, and it will do the same for GNR if this is really pursued more.

This is far less about downloading than it is about hosting unauthorized copyrighted material on a website.  Axl jokingly called us "downloading motherfuckers".  It's a little different when someone who used to work at Universal takes nine tracks and posts them on his website.

But what does hosting unathorized copyrighted material pose for the record labels?  Fans downloading it and lack of sales.  So yes, this is about downloading.  They are making an example of this guy so that others feel discouraged when leaking stuff in the future.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i agree with dreamline that it doesn't matter who is most responsible cause the details won't get to the average joe but i agree with faldor that it won't be anything new to those same people and my spin on faldor's point is that axl and gnr are getting coverage and it will peak people's interest in the band and in the music.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Alright, I misunderstood you.  But it's not anything like the Metallica case.  Metallica wanted to prevent people from downloading music that they had already released.  This is unreleased material that may not even be in its final stages, provided by a former employee of the record company.  I agree they're making an example of the guy to prevent future leaks.  That's different than making sure people can't download "Welcome to the Jungle".

war

war wrote:

the drug users or the drug dealers?

i say the dealers

war

war wrote:

but who do the authorities go after?

the drug users or the drug dealers?

i say the dealers

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
faldor wrote:

Alright, I misunderstood you.  But it's not anything like the Metallica case.  Metallica wanted to prevent people from downloading music that they had already released.  This is unreleased material that may not even be in its final stages, provided by a former employee of the record company.  I agree they're making an example of the guy to prevent future leaks.  That's different than making sure people can't download "Welcome to the Jungle".

It certainly isn't the same as the Metallica case, but they are similar.  Another reason they aren't the same is because i don't think it was GNR gunning to get this guy arrested. 

To be honest, i think the circumstances make this case a little more serious than Metallica's.  Like you said, Universal is trying to protect their current investment, one that hasn't even had chance to make money yet. 

The loophole, like James said, is it going to be released?  If it's not planned to be released, the case is out.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Memo to record companies and film distributers:

Create and distribute a NEW FORMAT, that cannot be placed in a disc drive, USB port, etc.  Work with MS and Apple to make computers the only hardware to support something shaped like a disc.  DVD players and CD players and computerized crap like MP3 players and "hit clips" only encourage piracy, when people see how easy it is.  Outlaw devices and software that would convert such format into computerized files. Also, since no other people are seen when doing it, it becomes a victimless crime.

And before anyone tells me it can't be done, ever try to copy a Disney VHS tape?  MACROVISION.  Yes, it can be broken, but it's a bitch and way f'in expensive to do so.

If I left my CD collection in my front yard, someone would steal it.

Protect your assets, you dumbasses.

Stop wasting time on crap and resources on crap like this.

Your pal,
      Skippy

war

war wrote:

it's still illegal though
putting it in the street would be a different story 16

Board footer