You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: The Wrestling thread

It wouldn't be the ROV sports section without a wrestling thread so here it is.

Randy Orton is the new WWE champ, Shawn Michaels made a welcome return this week with Edge and Jericho both set to return supposedly in the next month, it could be a good month in WWE.

Axl4Life
 Rep: 28 

Axl4Life wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

It wouldn't be the ROV sports section without a wrestling thread so here it is.

Randy Orton is the new WWE champ, Shawn Michaels made a welcome return this week with Edge and Jericho both set to return supposedly in the next month, it could be a good month in WWE.

Damn you APE, I wanted the honors of creating the wrestling thread!!!

Haha, just kidding.

Heres my views and opinions on whats went down in the Wrestling world recently:

Anyone else see No Mercy? I was disappointed Jericho wasn't there though. Reports say it was too soon, but imo it would have been the perfect time...thats if he actually has signed a deal. Still found it really amusing though when the crowd was loudly chanting Y2J and Vince smiled and said, "No, I can't give you that."

On the contrary I thought the way they dealt with the Title situation was awesome. Was really like something they would have done in the attitude area with the title being awarded, lost, and won back again.

I was really suprised to see HBK on Raw last night, not because reports stated he wouldn't be back until November but because they're was rumors circulating saying that he was on the fence about returning and he wanted to concentrate on his religion, which I 100% believed.

Unless he's just doing the company a favor...

I thought he looked better than ever too, with the old fashioned HBK look back, plus the fact that he looked buff for the first time in a few years.

Still though can't see him wrestling anytime soon.
I can see WWE building up a program with HBK and Orton which will probably culminate at the 20th annual Survivor Series were HBK will probably win and get his much deserved last title run.

Oh, and thank god they changed Beth Phoenix's entrance theme. I don't know which one was worse. Her old one or Candice's...

Anyone else think the Matt Hardy/MVP feud is the best one on WWE Programming?

There, that should get us started.
big_smile

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I think he returned earlier than he wanted too for the company. HHH is a good friend and could have got HBK to make the early move. They brought him back in the perfect spot as well. Didn't expect it. I don't think he will win the title soon.. He did want a limited ring time but with Cena out this could push him back into the main event spot. The old HBK beard was in action. Orton sold that superkick PERFECT too.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I haven't watched wrestling since before No Mercy. I may catch RAW this Monday. What was Smackdown's main event last night?

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

RAW PREVIEW

Raw hops the pond this week to visit Birmingham, England in what promises to be a bloody good show. But while the Superstars will be hopping the pond, their rivalries will remain firmly entrenched.

Chief among them: Randy Orton vs. Shawn Michaels and Triple H vs. Umaga.

Michaels stunned Orton when he returned from spending months on the sidelines and put him to sleep with Sweet Chin Music. What else does HBK have in store for the Legend Killer? And do his plans include Orton's newly-won WWE Championship?

Meanwhile, last week, Umaga continued relentlessly punishing Triple H long after the bell had sounded in their Handicap Match pitting The Game against the Samoan Bulldozer & WWE Champion Randy Orton. After adding injury to insult, can Umaga really hope to leave Europe without feeling the wrath of The Game?

Two other Superstars who will be taking their rivalry across the pond are Hardcore Holly and Cody Rhodes. So far, the veteran Holly has bested the upstart Rhodes in two hard-fought, closely-contested wars. With the third time be the charm for Cody Rhodes?

In other action, Beth Phoenix made her Raw debut last week as Women's Champion and ushered in the self-proclaimed 'Era of the Glamazon' only to be embarrassed by former Champ Candice Michelle in a Six-Divas Tag Team Match. The Candy-coated Diva pinned one of the Glamazon's tag partners to secure the victory and prove that she is still a force to contend with. Will the freshly-crowned Women's Champion continue to devour her opponents? Or was last week's hiccup a sign of things to come?

To get answers to these questions and more, tune in to Monday Night Raw at 9/8 CT on USA Network.

AtariLegend wrote:

Booker T & Sharmell Released

WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstar Booker T and WWE Diva Sharmell as of October 27. We wish both Booker & Sharmell he best in all their future endeavors.

Davari Released

WWE has come to terms on the release of Raw Superstar Shawn Daivari. We wish Daivari the best in all his future endeavors.

Apparently he had asked for his release several weeks ago and it was granted by the company, however, the paperwork was not finalized until this week.

Daivari has been with WWE for several years as he was originally paired with Muhammad Hassan and utilized as a mouthpiece, developed into an undercard singles performer, managed The Great Khali, and recently did work in WWE's Cruiserweight division.

WWE Takes Another Step In Breaking Down ECW Brand

WWE has a storyline article up on the official ECW web site talking about 'meetings' between ECW General Manager Armando Estrada and SmackDown General Manager Vickie Guerrero regarding the idea of having talent from both brands compete on both ECW on Sci Fi and Friday Night SmackDown.

While the article is certainly kayfabe, the idea is very legitimate and is just one more step in WWE breaking down the ECW brand. The new idea makes sense considering that SmackDown and ECW talent already travel with each other, however, it is completely outside of what the company originally planned to do when they resurrected the ECW brand in June of last year.

Chris Jericho Claims He's Never Seen Save_US Videos, His Return, More:

The following interview recap was written by the folks at Monday Night Mayhem:

Here are some of the highlights from the much talked-about Y2J interview, provided by The Mayhem's Co-Host, John "The Big Mosh" Masiulionis.

The Big Mosh & Blade welcomed Chris back to the program -- his first appearance since last August, when The Mayhem gave away an all-expenses paid trip for a lucky Jericho-holic to fly into Toronto, Ontario, Canada to have a special VIP Meet & Greet w/Y2J after a performance of Chris' theater debut, "Opening Night."

Blade & Mosh got right down to business, and asked Chris what stands to have a better chance of happening: Chris returning to the WWE @ Cyber Sunday or the Survivor Series or Guns 'N' Roses releasing their long-awaited album, "Chinese Democracy." Now fans around the world know that Chris is known for dropping hints of certain things in the past. His appearance on The Mayhem was no different. "People have a better chance of seeing the Led Zepplin Reunion Tour including John Bonham." He went on to say that "he is always caught in the middle" a good majority of the time, and that's "he's the last one to know about certain things," and that Mosh & Blade probably know more about what is going on than he does ("with their secret spies in the major wrestling companies"). For an interesting analysis of Jericho's take on the Led Zepplin Reunion Tour and how it ties in to his comeback, check out Chris' official message board, located at www.ChrisJericho.com.

Chris is very pleased and proud of the reviews for his new book, and the comparisons it is drawing to Mick Foley's "Have A Nice Day" (which he describes as "the benchmark" for wrestling-themed books), as well as books/autobiographies penned by Eric Bischoff, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, and many others. When he left the WWE in 2005, this is "something he always wanted to do," but was simply never asked to do it beforehand. Within one month of him parting ways with World Wrestling Entertainment, he had a book agent and Warner Brothers (now Grand Central Publishing) brought him aboard to tell his story. "It was a long time coming," Chris went on to say: a two-year and two-month journey to get this to the finished product. "This is very unique story -- one that you will probably never see again."

The book focuses on Chris' life growing up in Canada and his dream of becoming a WWE superstar -- with the start of his professional career in 1990 all the way through walking out to the crowd at The Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL back in August 1999 for an edition of Monday Night RAW to challenge The Rock. He is very proud, looking back on his career, that he never gave up, and that he kept working hard towards that very dream to achieve that.

When he started in the business back almost twenty years ago, Chris said that the proto-type superstars and wrestlers were the 6'8, 300-pound guys (such as Hulk Hogan), and he was nowhere near that size at all. He was not going to let that deter him in any way, shape, or form. "In this day and age when all you need to do is start up a blog or address, or put yourself on You Tube crying about Britney Spears and you'll be famous," he did not have that luxury back in 1990. To get himself out there to keep the lines of communication open, he was unable to use the internet -- He had to contact people by sending letters, pictures of himself, and a tape of his work to promoters around the world.

He wanted "A Lion's Tale" to not only be for the wrestling fans, but for the non-wrestling fans as well, to show how a dreamer can achieve what he wants if he puts his mind to it: "a feel-good, coming-of-age story, with wrestling as the background." In addition, Chris was very close to this project from beginning to end, and he thinks all of the Jericho-holics around the world will appreciate the fact that he did not want to give the reigns to his book to anyone else: He had to do it himself.

Chris also sees the newly-released Dave Batista book as "no competition for the Chris Jericho book," (no knock on Dave personally) based on his fifteen-plus years of worldwide experience to a little over five-plus years, mainly in the United States. Jericho sees the new Bret "Hitman" Hart book as more of a healthy competition for him, and that his and Bret's books will be some of the last ones to come out from a wrestlers' perspective and stand-point of traveling around the world and wrestling in many different areas (small territories, foreign countries, etc) to achieve the success they have had. "That is something you will not see much of anymore," Chris added in -- especially how talents today sign a developmental deal, and within six months-one year, they are on television, learning as they go along.

With regards to the unfortunate Benoit tragedy from this past June and the media's vast coverage of what happened afterwards, Chris felt he had no responsibilities to defend the wrestling business. When he did interviews with Greta Van Susteren and Nancy Grace, he made it clear that he did not want to have any other wrestlers along with him (besides Bret Hart), simply because he was not interested in getting into arguments with anybody or debating anybody. Chris went on by saying that he was one of the very few guys who really knew Chris, and that "he was sick of guys going on television just to promote themselves and not knowing who Chris Benoit really was." Jericho said that he did not have an agenda, a vendetta, or "an ax to grind," like some of the former wrestling might have had. "I basically did it to try and get some clarity for myself, and if people agreed with me, great, and if they didn't, I could have really cared less. The mainstream media does not give a rat's-ass about wrestling, unless something bad happens like this. That's why I did not do any Geraldo Rivera's, Bill O' Reilly's, or anything for Dateline NBC."

Changing gears, Chris made a very clear statement about his return to the business (coming off the heels of taking two-plus years off, and being able to work on various acting projects, touring with Fozzy, & more): "If I go back to wrestling, it is going to be on my terms, but I would not want to give up the stuff I have been working on over the past several years." He feels that after he wrote the book especially, that now "could" be the time to go back, and he continued on by saying "It would be a big step. I'd love to go back to have some fun and do my thing. For better or for worse, fifteen-plus years of experience...you can't teach experience, you can't teach his style of wrestling that I do, you can't teach the style of promos I do...It's something that I do out of instinct at this point in time. A lot of guys today are waiting for the writing, the creative team, Vince, or Dixie to make them into stars, and wrestling has never been that way...It's about the individual taking the ball & running with it. It's not about how big you are, or how many moves you can do, it's about simply connecting with the crowd. Chris goes on into further detail and comments on this topic that EVERYONE around the world wants to know about -- only which you can hear on The Mayhem, so check out this must-listen interview, as words are only words guys, a recap is a recap. Take the time to hear Chris' honest comments on this...

When it comes to current talents in the business he might interested in working with: Chris would love to work with The Boogeyman ("he is one of the best characters I have seen in years"), Abyss, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Marafuji, John Cena, Mr. Kennedy, & MVP (the latter two he thinks need some work because they are still very young and green, but if they have some guys they can spar with, they will end up turning out okay in the end), Edge ("who is coming into his own"), Randy Orton ("who is getting better"). Chris has no problems working with anyone in particular, no matter what their work-rate is, or how big they are -- which is one of the things, he feels, has kept him around for so long.

Chris claims to have not seen any of the "Save Us 222" promos that have been running currently on RAW, ECW, & SmackDown for the past few weeks, so he is "not sure what they are." He just heard about them, but does describe them as very "cryptic." Jericho went on to say that he is "not smart enough to read clues...he needs to be banged over the head with clues." He does love, however, how people have instantaneously associated him with these promos -- continuing to get/keep his name out. This, in addition to TNA using his name in a text message contest on their programming a few months back (along with Brock Lesnar & Goldberg), which he had no problems with. He encourages the fans to keep using his name as a spoiler and a teaser.

With "total self-confidence and arrogance," Chris knows without a shadow of a doubt that he can "save" the wrestling business and once again turn the world on its ear. "There's only a certain amount of people who can do what I do." Jericho described two years away from the wrestling business is a "lifetime," and that some fans might not think he will ever come back. "If and when I do, it will throw people for a loop. When the time is right, I will be back." Until that time comes, he is happy doing what he is doing right now.

Before Chris left from the WWE, he requested to Vince to have John Cena be the one that "fired him." Jericho said it was a shame that Cena got hurt, especially with the recent roll he was on, but it does leave the opportunity for him to reclaim his belt, an at the same time, get Randy Orton over in the process. Chris looks forward to seeing John back in the company.

Chris calls Shawn Michaels "his favorite wrestler of all time," and would welcome the opportunity to work with Shawn again in the future. And "whether Shawn works one or one hundred matches in a month (with the rumors of him working a reduced schedule), they will be great matches."

Jericho described the competition between the WWE & TNA as a "dogfight slowly starting again," which is great for the business, the talent, and the fans.

Mosh & Blade also asked Chris if he had thoughts about writing a follow-up to "A Lion's Tale" down the road. Jericho said he would be open to the idea, and compared a possible sequel to that of Halloween 2, which picks up seconds after Halloween ended.

Chris ended the interview with several mentions of upcoming movie projects that he has completed and that are also in the works, a "Lemonade stand" on his street, and a "Salvation Army clothing drive" (which he encourages people to give him their dirty socks) -- plus, a special shout-out to his loyal Jericho-holics around the world (who he describes as "the best in the world").

The 45+ minute interview with Y2J, one of the most-requested Mayhem programs ever, also includes his uncensored thoughts & takes on Kurt Angle's recent issues outside of the ring (and why he thinks Angle going to TNA was one of the best things for the wrestling business), why the wrestling fans take certain talents for granted (that are always there week in & week out), why performers of today need to keep updating their personas on a regular basis, why it was vital & important to his career to span the globe & work in multiple continents & countries, more on how the business has changed since he first broke in, the wrestling media, & why he is so pumped about how well "A Lion's Tale" is doing on Amazon.com prior to its actual release date of October 25th.

Listen: http://www.mondaynightmayhemarchives.co … 101507.wax

Download: http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/mondayni … 101507.mp3

Sources: http://www.rajahwwf.com/ + http://www.wrestlezone.com/

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Booker on his release.

Announcement

We want to begin by thanking the many wonderful WWE fans that we have had the privilege of entertaining over the last eight years. Sharmell and I have enjoyed the opportunity to put smiles on your faces night after night. We also want to thank everyone in the wrestling community for their support of our very own P.W.A. (Pro Wrestling Alliance). The dream of bringing professional wrestling back to my home town of Houston, Texas is coming to fruition, and we have you to thank for it.

I want to address something that has been on my mind for quite some time now in regards to my recent suspension from WWE. I want to state for the record that I was not taking any illegal substance, or anything outside of my physician's care, and that the suspension was unwarranted. However, rather than fight the suspension or publicly voice my discontent, I used this recent hiatus to rest, work with the P.W.A., and reflect on the direction of my career as a professional wrestler. I also, for the record, have never at any time ordered anything from "Signature Pharmacy". This allegation is upsetting, and the careless and slanderous reporting of this matter is currently being addressed by my legal counsel.

I would like to also address any possible rumors or misinformation regarding our release from WWE. I had been unhappy for quite some time with the direction that the Company was going in. In fact, I asked for my release back in July for that very reason. However, after further contemplation, I decided to continue on with WWE because of my passion for this industry and my desire to entertain the fans. Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent that my unhappiness with my work environment was beginning to take a great toll on other aspects of my life. I knew that it was time to make some extremely tough decisions. Therefore, in the interest of my mental, physical, and spiritual well being, I along with my wife, asked for our release from World Wrestling Entertainment for the second time within months. We were graciously granted our release and we have since amicably parted ways. While the business relationship between ourselves and the WWE has ended, we will continue to be involved in Professional Wrestling. We hope that our loyal fans will follow us as we make this transition.

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts, and we will see you soon!

Booker T. and Sharmell

F*ck Fear
 Rep: 4 

F*ck Fear wrote:

Never cared for Booker, or his wife (Fuck she was annoying). The whole King Booker gimmick was a little much. I do really hope that Jericho makes a return soon, as WWE needs someone who can entertain the fans better than the likes of Orton and Cena.
The thought of Smackdown and ECW sharing programs is actually a good thing I think. Bump ECW up to two hours as well, and they will be set.

AtariLegend wrote:

Stings contract supposedly expires soon....

Presumably next year is going to be the final chance to see all those dream matches that haven't happened yet... Taker vs. Sting, Triple H vs. Sting, HBK vs. Sting.... Everyone vs. Sting

He's already wrestled Angle in a big money match, so he unlikely to be able do anything else in TNA, that will be memorable.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Ah, too late. Should've happened many years ago. It will never live up to your guys expectations. Take it from an old school fan who got to see some of the 80's dream matches happen in the mid late 90's.

Board footer