You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Will you still buy CD?

Bono wrote:
Dreamline wrote:

Damn.  I sorta get the anger and totally understand the frustration.  I've been a huge fan of this band for as long as I can remember, so I want new music as much as everyone else.

But, I don't get first of all why everyone takes all this stuff so personally.  As much as I hate to echo this phrase, Axl does not owe you anything.  But, because he's less vocal than others, perceived to be an asshole ("perceived" being the key word here.  How many of us know Axl as a human being and not as a media image?)...because of some bizarre feeling of betrayal, we're now going to steal his stuff?

I just don't get the logic.  My family never got along with our one next door neighbor - even had some direct, personal fueding type shit go down with them.  I guess I should've stolen their car or maybe robbed their house then.

I mean, what the fuck?  You want the music, buy it.*  If you don't want it, nobody is forcing you to listen to it or to be a fan of the band.

(*Obviously, this applies to a time when the music is finally available for purchase.)

Whatever Dreamline. That's your opinion and that's great. You actually seem more bitter towards my stance than I  am/would be towards Axl. It doesnt' bother me. I highly doubt there's one person on this forum who could sit there and with a straight face say they've never downloaded an album, never downloaded a song.  To not understand my position and in fact condem it is a tad hypocritical. I have my reasons and if people really can't understand those reasons they simply haven't been paying close enough attention to this entire saga. It is personal. It's a relationship between artist and fan. If the artist respects the fan then that respect is returned in full. If the artist has little to no respect for the fan, no appreciation and no regard whatsoever then what? If you look at it from my perspective I've given my support dollar wise already. More than the average fan will ever. The way it is now the album doesn't get my financial support. This is my stance on it. I don't need for anyone to understand it or agree with it.  I have friends who will likley buy this album. I'll listen to there's and someday if it's good I'll burn it. Big deal. One less album sale. It's all I can do.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
Bono wrote:

Whatever Dreamline. That's your opinion and that's great. You actually seem more bitter towards my stance than I  am/would be towards Axl. It doesnt' bother me.

Your post was the trigger, but that wasn't necessarily directed at you.  I've always enjoyed reading your posts and have no personal beef with you.  19
But you even said in your original post, "I respect people's opinion if they feel I'm going to steal the album," so you obviously expected this kind of reaction from some of us here.

Bono wrote:

I highly doubt there's one person on this forum who could sit there and with a straight face say they've never downloaded an album, never downloaded a song.  To not understand my position and in fact condem it is a tad hypocritical.

Dammit.  If only this conversation had come up a few months ago. tongue But then I got into torrents, so yeah, I'm probably being hypocritical.  Though I'm still torn by that whole issue, and so far I've only torrented stuff that I already own or stuff that is near impossible to to find.  Funny coincidence though, because I just got done downloading a torrent of U2s discography.  But, you know what?  I only took the discs I already own because my copies are scratched and I can't get good rips.  I was tempted to grab the whole torrent, but just didn't feel right taking stuff that I'd never paid for. 

Bono wrote:

I have my reasons and if people really can't understand those reasons they simply haven't been paying close enough attention to this entire saga. It is personal. It's a relationship between artist and fan. If the artist respects the fan then that respect is returned in full. If the artist has little to no respect for the fan, no appreciation and no regard whatsoever then what? If you look at it from my perspective I've given my support dollar wise already. More than the average fan will ever. The way it is now the album doesn't get my financial support. This is my stance on it. I don't need for anyone to understand it or agree with it.  I have friends who will likley buy this album. I'll listen to there's and someday if it's good I'll burn it. Big deal. One less album sale. It's all I can do.

If you have some personal issue/reason, than honestly, I must've missed that.  It's your prerogative to fight back in any way you chose and I could most likely accept your reasons.  My post was aimed more at the people who are pissed about the FBI thing and now saying they're gonna steal the album.  That's what I don't get.  How does the FBI enforcing the law turn into "Axl's a dick and I'm gonna steal his hard work"?

Even more so, I'm confused by the "Axl hates us fans" thing.  Where does that come from?  I personally don't believe he hates us at all.  But hey, we all have our opinions, right?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
russtcb wrote:

To say that you know for a fact that GNR and Axl had anything to do with this arrest is wrong. Just like I don't know they didn't.

Sounds to me like a justification for not buying it.

This I agree with 100%.  Not buying it out of protest?  Sure, if you want.  People do that all the time.

But a justification for stealing it?  That's something different.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Skwerl has spoken about his release on www.antiquiet.com he says he was arrested at gunpoint.  Being one that fully believes that GNR supported this and were behind this arrest.  I think this is very excessive for the FBI to arrest this guy at gunpoint or even arresting him.  Don't they have terrorists to catch?  Anyways after reading this I find myself NOT wanting to buy this album anymore because of this.  What about you guys?  Will you buy CD anyways?

Uhhh yes, I will buy CD.
Enforcing federal law = FBI.

Sheesh.
The band didn't have anything to do with gunpoint or federal agents.
It's just a stupid band.

Get over yourself!
If you don't like the way copyright laws are call your senator and congressman if you're a US citizen.

Sheesh!  I am over myself and trust me I am against downloading more than anybody.  I NEVER dowloaded anything but the GNR leaks.  I supported Metallica against Napster when everybody slammed them.  Metallica's album has leaked and I ¸haven't downloaded it and won't cause I'll buy it when it comes out next week?  Why did I download the GNR leaks.  Cause I wanted to hear what Axl came up with and he won't release it.  And there is no release in sight.  When the leaks happened if Axl would've said it was coming out on said date I would've waited.  But what I don't agree with is if this guy was arrested by the FBI at gunpoint then it is really exaggerated.  And I realize Axl didn't tell the FBI to do this (If it is true) but the mere fact that he is so pissed at the fans for caring enough to want to hear his new material really pisses me off.  And that is why I may not buy the fucking thing!  So don't try to give me a lecture on copyright laws when I never download and won't download CD if I don't buy it.  By the way I have over 2500 cd's at home all bought.  So I think I respect your law man.  No hard feelings.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:

Faldor.  don't give me that statement when I can redirect you to the statement Axl made of the tentative release date where he said we would be informed if the album was further delayed.  Axl has dug his own grave and now he must get out of it.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Dreamline wrote:
russtcb wrote:

To say that you know for a fact that GNR and Axl had anything to do with this arrest is wrong. Just like I don't know they didn't.

Sounds to me like a justification for not buying it.

This I agree with 100%.  Not buying it out of protest?  Sure, if you want.  People do that all the time.

Like I said in my previous post.  If I decide not to buy the album I won't download it either.  I never download.  Only songs I downloaded were the leaks cause I still firmly believe it is the only way we'll ever hear new material from Axl.  If I could've bought the songs I would've.  And that is the truth.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Faldor.  don't give me that statement when I can redirect you to the statement Axl made of the tentative release date where he said we would be informed if the album was further delayed.  Axl has dug his own grave and now he must get out of it.

My only point is we don't know the half of it.  We know close to nothing.  We may think we know anything and everything about the situation.  We may think there's absolutely no reason why the album shouldn't be out by now, why we shouldn't have been informed on the progress or lack thereof, why we aren't given a rundown on Axl's daily routine through his own blog, why Axl doesn't babysit or house sit for the fans.  We really don't know what's going on or what has gone on behind the scenes.  You can speculate all you want and come to your own conclusions, but there are 2 sides to every story and I'm thinking those that are actually involved with the making of the album know the truth while the rest of us are just guessing.

That's all.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Dreamline wrote:

Like I said in my previous post.  If I decide not to buy the album I won't download it either.  I never download.  Only songs I downloaded were the leaks cause I still firmly believe it is the only way we'll ever hear new material from Axl.  If I could've bought the songs I would've.  And that is the truth.

Now that I can agree with. If you don't want to support GNR (for whatever reason) then don't. But don't just steal the album then try to justify why, ya know?

No danger in that.  Only way I'll download leaks from GNR is if there is no release date announced.  If they decide to release the album and annolunce I'll either buy or not and that'll be that.

Board footer