You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Rankings/comments on all the new songs

war wrote:

favorite songs seem to change as life experiences cycle so i picked atleast one from each album that i played more than any other at some point

1. you're crazy (lies)
2. knockin on heaven's door (ritz 88 version)
3. weclome to the jungle
4. estranged
5. coma
6. aint it fun

not as difficult to name the new favorites. now that i'm older and more grounded i just don't seem to connect to music the same way and rely on it like i did when i was an angry and confused person.

1. madagascar
2. irs
3. twat
4. if the world
5. chinese democracy
6 better

wady
 Rep: 2 

wady wrote:

01 Better   
02 Shackler's Revenge   
03 Madagascar   
04 Chinese Democracy   
05 The Blues   
06 TWAT   
07 Rhiad and the Bedouins   
08 IRS   
09 Song 2   
10 Catcher In The Rye   
11 If The World

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

1. Twat: in my opinion comparable with anything GNR has previously produced, the guitar acrobatics and Axl's wails on this track are breathtakingly good, only let down for me is the the somewhat drab opening chorus.

2. Better: Axl uses his raspy wail to full effect on this song, the middle verse in which he screams is one of axl's strongest vocal performances in any GNR song, there's an unprecedented amount of anger in that verse. only let down for me is the start an end of the song, a little weak.

3. Chinese democracy: its clear that the intro to this song was created in attempt to supersede the opening riffs of welcome to the jungle or SCOM, and provide something equally as awe-inspiring and adrenaline inducing, especially during live shows, and it succeeds for the most part. the angst ridden lyrics and Axl vocals provide a palpable amount of anger, anger that you, or certainly i recognise and feel every time listen.

the others i feel aren't in the same tier as the above 3, they're good, just not remarkable like the aforementioned tracks. although song #2 has  undeniably epic feel, and possesses huge potential(as do all or most of the leaks), an epic music video resembling November rain or estranged could see its potential recognised, coupled with a final improved mix. that applies to all the leaks, we have no idea how old and how close to complete they really are.

if the above tracks are a band 6, ranging from 90-100 on a scale of 1-100, the others are band 5's(80-90) or band 4's(70-80) and maybe even a band 3.

of course measuring music on a scale is, for me at least, really contrived, its like the graph used to measure poetry in the film 'dead poets society', the graph they are required to tear out of their text books..=)

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Great

1.  TWAT 

Good song, good enough to be a GN'R tune

2. Chinese Democracy 
3. Better
4. IRS

Mediocre and forgettable/ or has good parts but extremely bad parts, too

5. Oh My God
6. Blues
7. Madagascar

Shoould never be on a GN'R record. Maybe a B-side for a single.

8. Rhiad
9. Catcher
10. Shacklers
11. If The World

Horrible

12.  Song #2
13. Silkworms

slimemonkey
 Rep: 1 

slimemonkey wrote:

I dont have the favourites exactly, but if the world would be bottom of the pile with silkworms. Better, catcher, CD, and Shacklers and the blues are awesome, the others are somewhere in the middle!

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:
sandman wrote:

alot of threads turn into discussions of the songs. i didn't see a thread dedicated to rating and/or ranking the songs, so i figured i'd start one.

Frame of Reference
first, i think it's important to state what your favorite gnr songs are. it'll give us a sense of old vs new fans....
i think AFD is the greatest album ever made. i love the illusion albums as well, but have a greater appreciattion for the raw and dirty feel of AFD. at least 6 of my fav gnr songs are off of AFD.

Rankings of New Songs
1. TWAT
2. IRS
3. Chinese Democracy
Scraped
4. Shackler's Revenge
Sorry
5. Better
This I Love
6. If the World
7. CITR
8. Riayd
9. Prostitute
10. Madagascar
11. the Blues

Comments on New Songs
I'm a big fan of the songs overall. i think TWAT is one of the best gnr songs ever. I didn't like If the World at first, but it has really grown on me. i think it's a great song.

i'm really high on my songs ranked 1-5. i would score each of them a 9 or a 10 (on a 10-point scale).
songs 6-8 would all be scored about an 8.
songs 9-11 would get a 6 or 7. i like the songs, but i never go out of my way to listen to them.

i was thinking about possible next singles and looked up my rankings. i added the final 3 songs to my rankings above.

i think releasing the title track as the first single was the right move. and following it up shortly with what many believe to be the most radio-friendly song is a good idea. this is a unique situation, and i think they need to expose people to a few songs out of the gate. whether that happens or not, we'll see.

CD has been well-received overall. i've heard alot of complaints about how his voice sounds, but almost everyone i talked to said after they heard it a couple times, they really liked it.

(for the record, i still love IRS and think that would be a great choice for radio. the old-time fans will love that song. )

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

As James stated earlier this album would have been HUGE back in 2001-2002 but the buzz was pissed away.  It would have still done well in 2006 but another great opportunity lost.  The album may do moderately well still but "what could of been" really casts a VERY long shadow on this overdue and under delivered project.

People keep saying this, but how could the album we're getting now be released 6 years ago? It didn't exist! Granted there hasn't been done a lot of work since that, but what has been done seems to have been significant. From the intro in CD to the added guitar on TWAT. They greatly enhance the songs.

Anyways, my ranking:

Catcher In The Rye (Great melody, great guitarwork, excellent lyrics)

The Blues (I will refuse to the end of my days to call it anything else) (Fantastic melody and vocals. Incredible outro. The Finck solo, although not bad, is the only thing that leaves something to be desired)

Better (Vintage Axl. Catchy as hell. Several styles blended perfectly. Also contains the best Finck solo on the album)

TWAT (A true epic. One of the greatest GN'R outros ever. Lacks a bit on the last verse before the solos.)

Scraped (Second best rocker on the album. Everything about it is great, catchy and interesting)

IRS (Great rocker. Nothing fancy, just a good flowing tune)

Prostitute (Man, this one took ages to grow on me. Initially I totally hated it, but now I'm starting to appreciate it for what it is. A truly powerful performance by Axl. The way it just fades from the guitar solo works great as an album closer)

Sorry (Very good song, but not the monster some make it out to be. Lacks the expected epic ending and build up)

This I Love (Amazing in many ways, but is brought down by the wanting guitar solo. You keep waiting for that bend that never comes)

Madagascar (I still love this song. One of Buckets best solos, great vocals. Strange to see it fall from grace. Used to be ultimate reference point for fans when they wanted to prove Axl still had it in him. Same has happened to the Blues. People probably got tired of listening to them for 7 years I guess. As opposed to CD they haven't evolved much either)

Shacklers Revenge (Good, not great. Not every song can be A list, nor should they)

Rhiad & The Bedouins (Again good, but not great. Thought it had a lot of potential, but turned out a little different than I had hoped)

If The World (No flaws really, just not all that interesting. Won't be skipping it though)

Chinese Democracy (I think this is a great song all around. Incredible intro, soaring guitars. Up there with Better and Scraped)

Overall there are no bad songs, with only three being a bit 'meh', and that is in my opinion in accordance with every GN'R album. Even AFD have songs I skip) I say Axl has succeeded in his goal to make a true "Guns N' Roses Record".

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

As James stated earlier this album would have been HUGE back in 2001-2002 but the buzz was pissed away.  It would have still done well in 2006 but another great opportunity lost.  The album may do moderately well still but "what could of been" really casts a VERY long shadow on this overdue and under delivered project.

People keep saying this, but how could the album we're getting now be released 6 years ago? It didn't exist! Granted there hasn't been done a lot of work since that, but what has been done seems to have been significant. From the intro in CD to the added guitar on TWAT. They greatly enhance the songs.

Six years ago the best songs were pretty much finished.  In 2006 we may not have got all the leaks but the best songs were already recorded.  I actually liked the orignial version of Better and Catcher in the Rye over the new leaks.  Of course they needed cleaning up but they have lost something in the process.

Chinese Democracy benefited from the guitars but not THAT much, TWAT really isn't much different (I hate the added beginning!).  Street of Dreams WILL always be the Blues...totally agree.

I can't speak for everyone but my point about the 2001-2002 era in particular is that the buzz was HUGE.  People really wanted to hear the music, not just we die hards.  By putting off the chance then blowing it again in 2006 (the best songs leaked, another tour, promises broken) the album became more and more the punchline of a joke rather than the most anticipated album possibly of all time.  I just don't think we are going to see the success it would have had then.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

Anyone who bashes sorry yet praises scraped is smoking crack!!!

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I'll come back to you in a couple of weeks. Haven't heard the new new songs and I want to hear the old leaks the way they were intended  by Axl

Board footer