You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

Re: Rankings/comments on all the new songs

sandman wrote:

alot of threads turn into discussions of the songs. i didn't see a thread dedicated to rating and/or ranking the songs, so i figured i'd start one.

Frame of Reference
first, i think it's important to state what your favorite gnr songs are. it'll give us a sense of old vs new fans....
i think AFD is the greatest album ever made. i love the illusion albums as well, but have a greater appreciattion for the raw and dirty feel of AFD. at least 6 of my fav gnr songs are off of AFD.

Rankings of New Songs
1. TWAT
2. IRS
3. Chinese Democracy
4. Shackler's Revenge
5. Better
6. If the World
7. CITR
8. Riayd
9. New Song #2
10. Madagascar
11. the Blues

Comments on New Songs
I'm a big fan of the songs overall. i think TWAT is one of the best gnr songs ever. I didn't like If the World at first, but it has really grown on me. i think it's a great song.

i'm really high on my songs ranked 1-5. i would score each of them a 9 or a 10 (on a 10-point scale).
songs 6-8 would all be scored about an 8.
songs 9-11 would get a 6 or 7. i like the songs, but i never go out of my way to listen to them.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Favorite old GNR songs:

It's So Easy
OTGM
You're Crazy(Lies)
Dust N Bones
The Garden
DTJ
Civil War
Black Leather
Buick Makane

Rankings of New Songs:

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Riyadh
3. The Blues
4. Catcher in the Rye
5. Better
6. If the World
7. There Was a Time
8. Madagascar
9. IRS
10. Shackler's Revenge
11. Prostitute

comments:

Songs are good but a bit underwhelming. If all those tracks are on the finished album, its not even my favorite album this year. That award goes to Santogold.

This album would have been HUGE in 2001-02. Axl was insane for not pulling the trigger immediately after the VMA's.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

I'll repost my segment of another post in this thread.

For the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would rank Prostitute so lowly - just goes to show different strokes for different folks I guess...

i'll rate the 10 tracks likely to be on CD from best to worst (IMO) that we've heard.

1. Song #2, Prostitute - this song is epic and a completed version has me salivating in anticipation. This is the only song so far, that comes close to the dizzying epics of the UYI era.
2. Better - quite simply the best rocker we've heard from this new band/project. Strip away a little of the dated sounding techno flourishes and you have an assured hit - my wife even likes this one.
3. The Blues - Still holding out hope that this will emerge fully realised and as huge and grand as it ought to be. Bring back the original intro please.
4. Chinese Democracy - Good solid opener, and those newer rhythym tracks do the trick nicely
5. There was a time - A good song- potentially great, but not the soaring brilliance some GN'R fans are proposing it is. The solo is very good indeed, but it doesn't resonate as emotionally as Slash's playing for me. Sorry to compare, but I can't help but think what he could have done with a track like this (and others)
6. Rhiad and the bedouins - was afraid it was 'filler-ish', but it's grown on me and a  beefier mix (the rhythym section and guitars could be grunted up I reckon) should do the trick.
7. Shacklers revenge - not a bad song, but overall, pretty forgettable. I'm happy with it - I think it's one of those songs that out of context in terms of the rest of the album, seems a bit confused. BBF plays great here.
8. If the world - thought it was a turd at first, but it's ok now. A bit unfocused sounding to me. Certainly offers (further) diversity.
9. IRS - A weak rocker I feel - I'd be happy if it were left off. Reeks of B-side material.
10.  Madagascar - anyone that i've chatted with/debated over the years knows my thoughts on this one. I still feel it's a turkey. Plodding, dated, over-earnest sub-UYI pap.

**** Catcher in the Rye is an absolute gem and should be on CD in a heartbeat. I would rate it top 3 in this list if I thought it were going to be on the album

Sky Dog wrote:

1. TWAT
2. Prostitute
3. Better
4. If the World
5. Chinese Democracy
6. CITR
7. IRS
8. Madagascar-could be higher if the vocals are redone...
9. The Blues
10. Rhiyad and the Bedouins
11. Oh My God
12. Shacklers Revenge
13. Silkworms

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

1. Oh My God
2. Rhiad
3. Better
4. Silkworms (live)
5. Madagascar
---
6. Song #2
7. Shacklers
8. TWAT
9. Chi Dem
10. Catcher (rough)
11. Checkmate (clip)
---
12. Blues
13. If The World
14. IRS

Split into three chunks with some additional Cd-era songs thrown in for good measure. The top 5 are my favourite of the new songs, the middle 6 I consider strong material, and final 3 I dont listen to. Will need to hear a better quality version of Catcher and a full version of Checkmate before I know where to place them in the list. Both sound promising though smile

Sky Dog wrote:

my problem with ranking them is that I like bits and pieces of all of them so I don't find alot of them much better than the others. There isn't one song I have heard so far that is "perfect" to me like Estranged or Civil War or SCOM. I thought those tunes were perfect the first time I  heard them.

Acquiesce

Acquiesce wrote:

1. Better
2. Catcher in the Rye
3.There Was a Time
4. Song 2
5. Chinese Democracy
6. Shackler's Revenge
7. Riyadh
8. IRS
9. Madagascar
10. The Blues
11. If The World

Comments:  Better and CITR are the only two gems for me. Better is by far my favorite track of the bunch. I loved it from the first time I heard it. I've listened to this song more than any other song I own. To me this is the only track that I could see being a huge hit. I really love CITR, too, but not as much as Better. After the first 4 tracks (especially 7-11) I found it tough to rank them because none of them really stand out to me. To me they are all pretty interchangeable. They are average to slightly above average tunes to me. Somewhat catchy, but they aren't very memorable. If this was the album I'd say it's a respectable follow up to the Illusions, but it's not a classic and like James I wouldn't even consider it album of the year.

Fave old songs
SCOM
Nightrain
You Could Be Mine
It's So Easy
Don't Cry
Estranged
NR
WTTJ
Civil War
Don't Damn Me
Perfect Crime
Ain't It Fun

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

1. TWAT
2. IRS
3. The Blues
4. Chinese Democracy
5. Shackler's Revenge
6. If The World
7. Better
8. Catcher In The Rye
9. Song 2
10. Rhiad and the Bedouins
11. Madagascar

I've like IRS since it first came out even though the majority of people seem to dislike it for whatever reason.  On the same note, everyone seems to love Better and while I think it's good I don't get why it's such a favorite.  Pardon the pun but there was a time I liked Maddy more but it's worn down a bit over the years.  I didn't bother putting Silkworms on the list but if I did I'd put it at #60, figuring they have 60 songs (4 albums worth).  Maybe a studio version would do something for me, but I kinda doubt it.

As for old songs, Rocket Queen, Breakdown, Dead Horse to name a couple.  Obviously the regulars as well.  Really the only GNR songs I don't care for are Silkworms and My World, and they're not BAD.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Old GN'R Songs Rankings

1. Estranged
2. Coma
3. Welcome To The Jungle
4. Paradise City
5. November Rain
6. Nightrain
7. Civil War
8. Rocket Queen
9. The Garden
10. Locomotive

New GN'R Songs Rankings

1. Song #2
2. T.W.A.T.
3. If The World
4. Shackler's Revenge
5. Madagascar
6. Catcher In The Rye
7. Better
8. The Blues
9. Chinese Democracy
10. I.R.S.
11. Oh My God
12. Silkworms
13. Riyadh And The Bedouins

The following should explain my feelings on the new songs (combined)

1. Estranged
2. Coma
3. Song #2
4. T.W.A.T.
5. Welcome To The Jungle
6. If The World
7. Paradise City
8. Shackler's Revenge
9. November Rain
10. Nightrain

I'm sure alot of this stuff will change with the release of the album, and exposure to even more new GN'R tracks.

Board footer