You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Re: Oh hi, i need some advice

now i know i am not the most liked poster around here but i need some advice. you see i've no one left to turn to at the moment, and this seems like as good a place as any, as i am sure some of you play instruments.

i am thinking of buying this guitar- http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/g … -standard/

for 2.9 grand

is it a good deal or not?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not a musician so I have no clue. Price seems kind of steep.

I'm sure you'll get some advice. Quite a few musicians here.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

To be honest, you could probably find a better guitar for cheaper.

When you pay for a Gibson, you are mostly paying for the name.

If you really want to find a good guitar, go out to a music shop like Guitar Center or something and try out all the guitars you like.  There's no better way to decide which instrument is for you than to go out and try it out for yourself.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I cant afford a Gibson so i bought an Epiphone les paul standard for $900

and its a really great guitar,

i read a bunch of articles about the comparison between epiphone and gibson and basically they all said you get about 80% of the guitar for a 1/4 of the price...if i had cash i'd definately upgrade.

where are you buying it? musician's freind? personally that site scares me for big ticket items but i know alot of people buy from there...i would still recommend you go to a gibson dealer and try one out before buying. and when i was shoping for my epi LP i tried out 6 different ones and they all sounded different...the dude at teh shop said that was true on the gibsons too...

hope all that rambling mess helps big_smile

Captain Winkler

i can see this guitar lasting me a fair while, as in years, so i am prepared to pay, my main concern was the possibility of getting ripped off.

if visiting a Gibson dealer was a possibility i'd definitely do it, however i live in Australia, and a fairly remote part as well, not secluded desert remote, but a town of about 50000 people, so my musical options are fairly limited especially in regards to testing products prior to purchase.

the guitar i linked would cost about 4.5 grand(in aus dollars) and the guy is selling for just under 3, hes a reputable guy, i've spoken with him and he seems legitimate.

oh yea, i am buying it over ebay, dont laugh at me yo.

Captain Winkler

oh and thanx for the advice rex and neemo 19

Captain Winkler

oh also, i know very little about guitars, can one of you tell me whats the main difference between a 'studio' les paul and a standard les paul? other than the pricetag.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

for me the studio's seemed a bit more twangy and the standard was a more full sound and had longer sustain

if you dont know much about guitars it prolly wont seem like much of a difference and the only reason i could tell was i played them back to back in the store...the studio is a lower end model

if you are comfoprtable buying off ebay then go for it big_smile I'm pretty spoiled in the fact that i have 25 or more guitar shops within an hour drive so its no biggie for me to hop in the car and go try something out

anyway let me know how it pans out for ya big_smile i do warn though that you should try and find someone to set up the guitar for you cuz it'll prolly need it when you get it

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Is the ebay guy in Australia? Are you picking up - will he let you play it first?

I say this for a few reasons. Importing guitars of that value through customs is a bitch...they take them and quarientene them or whatever (cos of the wood) and you have to pay a bunch of fees to get it all passed and clear...so keep those costs in mind if its o/s.

Another is that the thing about Epis and Gibsons is they're quite variable. A good one is golden. A bad one is just average. I'm not saying it will be a bad one...but they are all very unique.

Don't pay that price for a studio...if its a studio not a standard its definately worth a lot less. Someone will be able to tell you the specific differences...they still play nice...but i think they are thinner and lighter...which is easier to hold but can mess with sustain etc...

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Another is that the thing about Epis and Gibsons is they're quite variable. A good one is golden. A bad one is just average. I'm not saying it will be a bad one...but they are all very unique.

yeah even with the epi i had and the ones i tried...they varied in weight, sound, feel, even though they were all epi LP standards they were all very different guitars

i tried to explain that before but monkeychow did it better big_smile i always still suggest you try before you buy

Board footer