You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Brain talks Chinese Democracy

faldor wrote:

I'm not saying him recording at the temple made it seem like he wasn't into GNR, but it certainly did add to the craziness.  Not so sure how you can say it didn't.  Not to any fault of his own, but it sure wasn't as straight forward as recording in a normal studio.  I'm aware he was already in the band when he was asked to re-record Josh's parts.  But I'm assuming that was very early on in his being in the band.  Possibly the first thing he ever did with the band.  If he was that against it, he could've refused.  That's where I'm coming from.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't really have a problem with the drums, and as far as live performances go, Brain(and the rest of the band) kicked ten tons of ass on Madagascar at Rio 2001. Still the high point for the CD era in a live setting.

The first version of Madagascar i ever heard, and still hands down the best live performance of the CD era..

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
misterID wrote:

Points I picked up on: Brain really dug being a part of GNR until he bascially became Josh's stand in.

Read Josh's and Brain's joint interview from 2001 for more information on that.

Brain started as Josh's stand-in, because Josh'd laid down the drums for most of the existing tracks by the time Brain got in. I'd say Brain was set to replace Josh's work from fairly early on. He started hanging out in the studio in spring/summer '00, with the album set for a fall release. Once the thing with Bob Ezrin happened, the album was pushed back and Axl ordered more work to be done on the album, which is when Brain was called to replace Josh's stuff.

When the band worked on tracks beyond the Sean Beavan/Josh -era, Brain obviously had more input in the creative process and actually had the chance to have the band's sound grow around him, instead of trying to adapt himself to the pocket Josh had vacated. In that sense, I think it got a bit more rewarding in a studio setting for him in the long run.

misterID wrote:

And Roy Thomas Baker was much more involved than what people were lead to believe (that he was fired before recording a single note). And that GNR is the most unstable, unorganized, weird-ass band on the planet.

Never heard of RTB being fired before doing, well, anything. From Spring '00 to Christmas '01, he was in the studio almost every day with the band, recording alternate takes and sending them to Axl for his perusal. After Zutaut came along, him and RTB started eventually finishing instrumentals, rounding up the album.

Even so, nothing from that period makes me feel the least bit different about the fact that at the time, as a working environment, the GNR studio space was a session musician's haven, surrounded by bad management, lack of communication and overall chaos.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Just need to take a second to say thanks for starting this thread CSS, not only was the Chinese Democracy stuff great info, but I completely drummer geeked out for over an hour watching various videos off of the list.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Oh, and Brain's drums were at the Village for four years.

GNR worked in the Village in between 2000-2004.

But he did it Death Magnetic way, just shooting for the whole thing at once, which was pretty rough, considering.

Board footer