You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

There's been a lot of positive response, so stop trying to make it sound like something it's not.

Some like it, some don't.

But don't even try and say that the general reactions to the song have been negative because that's not true.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Chinese Democracy was freaking number 3 on the furious 5@9 on KROQ 106.7 Los Angeles (the biggest rock station in SoCal, who hosted Inland Invasion.) That's huge in my eyes. It was only behind Metallica and some other band. And it's only on it's second day... I think the single is doing very well smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The reviews so far have been mixed. I talked to a friend-through-a-friend that works in radio, specifically rock, and he said reactions have been mixed almost right down the line, and alot like people have stated. Younger fans, or fans who are just casual fans of the band, seem to really dig the track, whereas the old Gunners are just ripping it to shreds.

*his opinion below*

He is a GN'R fan, and likes the track, but like others have echoed... he just doesn't feel it's all that strong. As an album opener for Chinese Democracy, he feels it'll work great (I agree), but releasing it as a single, as the FIRST single seems to be a bit of a misstep. It just isn't there to be that for the band. He actually feels Shackler's Revenge would've been a better track to release first. The song, in his opinion, sounds so modern and so mainstream that it would appeal to a modern rock radio audience, unlike some of the more GNR-ish tracks on tap. Shackler's sounds like (*shutter*) a track Shinedown or Disturbed or some other very mainstream rock act would do, with the exception of the very exceptional guitar work, but the structure of the song is very "now". Then release Better as the second single, and TWAT for the third, unless some sort of ballad unearths itself to be a good radio-ready single.

He also feels Street of Dreams doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever charting if it's the 'ballad' that's released.

I agree with about 90% of that.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

actually the bad reviews are, without a doubt, coming from older people that haven't gotten over the breakup of the old band and that wait for the album.

i have been polling people at the college i work at.

thes students like the song the most, almost 100 percent of them and the ones that didn't care were not into rock at all.

most of the older people liked it as well but not as predominately.

Are you fucking kiding? yeah only old people who are resentful of the old band's break up would review this poorly roll I mean the majority of earths population was devestated when Gn'R broke up. Too many of them unable to move on. Please. the only people who haven't gotten over the old band's break up are people who frequent Gn'R messge boards. most people dont' give a shit. Nice unbiased polling 16

By all means Bigbri enjoy it. I just think that people on Gn'R sites  better be prepared to hear alot of HONEST negative feedback.  The fact is most people don't care one way or the other but if given the choice over something they'd like or something they wouldn't like they'll take the thing they like.  I just find it pretty offensive and lacking in common sense really to say that the only way anyone could dislike these songs is because the've already made up their minds and aren't willing to give the songs a chance.  I know that didn't come from you, I'm just saying it in general.

Like I said I enjoy hearing it on radio but I think it's pretty clear the response to the song is pretty underwhelming. We'll know for sure in the coming weeks. more so in the coming months. We'll see if the songs have any staying power or if they simply fade away as quickly as a new Velvet Revolver single.

who are you trying to convince, us or yourself? and i am not lying, i have not read ONE constructive, thought out negative response, no "oh yous ee what i don't like is the vocal layering and the mix" no its "GNR IS SHIT WITOUT SLASH" or "axl rose solo project, its not gnr!". so get down of your highhorse of misplaced negativity, does being different make you feel superiour or some shit?

not only are you exaggerating the negativity, you almost sound like you don't want it to be successful, probably true too.

here is some professional reviews, both ahve negative and positive elements in them, but these are the objective ones, maybe this will shut you up.

"It's a pretty terrific blueprint for a hard-rock song in search of a chorus that never actually arrives.

The first minute of the 4:40 running time consists of get-the-juices-flowing sound effects; finally, a minute and a half in, we get an abridged version of that patented Axl scream, and then what feels like the buildup to a great refrain,but turns out to really be the refrain, which is moderately memorable at best."
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/10 … r-aga.html 

"The track is a riff-heavy rocker that begins with eerie, soaring guitars and Rose's trademark squeal before launching into an infectious chorus. At first, Rose's voice sounds markedly deeper (think "Mr. Brownstone") than it does on some of GNR's most famous songs, but returns to its high-pitched greatness sporadically throughout the tune. The song ends with a quick explosion, which slowly trails off into silence."
MTV.com chris harris.

"It don't really matter," he sings. "You'll find out for yourself." As the cryptic verses unfold, it becomes clear that this is one of Rose's songs from inside the cage of fame, attacking external forces he despises but can't ignore or repel. Like "Get in the Ring" or "You Could Be Mine," this is Rose as the nastiest kind of punk.

"It would take a lot more..." is the key phrase, the one that Rose sings in still-powerful mid-range. More hate, more time. (There's a weird reference to masturbation too, that will have critics and possibly 12-year-olds snickering for a while.) These are the points when the song sounds the most like Nine Inch Nails -- a shot of aggression that somehow contains its own alienated retreat.

"Chinese Democracy" also recalls "I'm Afraid of Americans," David Bowie's 1997 foray with NIN. Both songs have a suffocated quality, as if their makers are pushing through smoke to express these thoughts. It's the sound of florid, romantic rockers aiming for something cold and modern.

But Rose can never really be cold. He's a Heat Miser -- whatever he touches starts to melt in his clutch. That's why these paranoid rockers never quite satisfy the way his grandiose ballads can. As real as Rose's anger may be, in song it starts to feel overly put on, in need of a sweeping chorus (or Slash-like ringing solo) to relieve the tension of the pose.

Still, for all the pooh-poohing this song will inevitably earn because it's just been too long in coming to fulfill all hopes, "Chinese Democracy" brings back a passionate weirdness that the hard rock airwaves have lacked. However overwrought or undercooked the whole album may be, it's good to have this mad king venturing forth over his moat."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b … r-has.html

"Chinese Democracy," which hit radio today, is a pretty rad track. Once Axl Rose's patented banshee scream kicks in over a thunderous guitar riff, all the hype and bullshit go out the window.

The song features dueling Axl vocals (the high-pitched one and the low growling one from "It's So Easy"), and the redheaded one goes on angrily about something vaguely political in the verses ("Blame it on the Falun Gong/They've see the end and you can't hold on now"). The song's soaring guitars seem to build towards a killer chorus that never quite happens. Instead, there's a ripping guitar solo (some combo of Robin Finck, Buckethead and Ron Thal) that almost makes up for having nothing to sing along to.

The outro is classic GN'R, but on steroids '” guitars blazing, multiple Axls screaming '” and there's just a bit too much going on. This song ain't no "Paradise City" or "Welcome To The Jungle," but it stands tall against any other GN'R rocker, and that's not something rock radio can say very often these days.
http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/6185 … e-reviewed

oh shiz, is this some articulate yet realistic reviews? oh no i bet you're pissed now, people like the song! bono what ever will you do!!??!

find me one SOLELY negative review, one that really lays into the song, that is as well written as the positive ones. oh wait there aren't any, because the only people who are going to dismiss this are going to review by saying"14 years, 10 million dollars, wheres slash?"

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

It was positive in Lansing too.  They have been a bit anti-Axl in the past and now they love the song.  That is good news!

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

bucketfan wrote:

I don't get these people that make judgement after just one listen.  It's not fucking pop music people you're not meant to get it on the first spin!

Here's a reaction from someone at a motorcycle forum I hang out at;

"Heard it yesterday on Nova... it really is nothing special... just sounds like another piece of mass market crap."

Get your ears checked, idiot.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

for what i heard ont he radio here the reaction was kinda split...whish is to be expected...

hey winkler thatns for those articles! 5 and karma

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Yeah, Bono, I have prepared myself not only for general purposes, but also for the inevitable, "all buckethead does is shred" stuff from reviewers who know little about him. Oh yeah, there is gonna be crushing reviews of all aspects of this CD.

This is why I hope TWAT gets released. His solo on TWAT is just as soulful and bluesy as anything Slash ever did. It is one of the best solos in GN'R history I think.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
war wrote:

actually the bad reviews are, without a doubt, coming from older people that haven't gotten over the breakup of the old band and that wait for the album.

i have been polling people at the college i work at.

thes students like the song the most, almost 100 percent of them and the ones that didn't care were not into rock at all.

most of the older people liked it as well but not as predominately.

Are you fucking kiding? yeah only old people who are resentful of the old band's break up would review this poorly roll I mean the majority of earths population was devestated when Gn'R broke up. Too many of them unable to move on. Please. the only people who haven't gotten over the old band's break up are people who frequent Gn'R messge boards. most people dont' give a shit. Nice unbiased polling 16

By all means Bigbri enjoy it. I just think that people on Gn'R sites  better be prepared to hear alot of HONEST negative feedback.  The fact is most people don't care one way or the other but if given the choice over something they'd like or something they wouldn't like they'll take the thing they like.  I just find it pretty offensive and lacking in common sense really to say that the only way anyone could dislike these songs is because the've already made up their minds and aren't willing to give the songs a chance.  I know that didn't come from you, I'm just saying it in general.

Like I said I enjoy hearing it on radio but I think it's pretty clear the response to the song is pretty underwhelming. We'll know for sure in the coming weeks. more so in the coming months. We'll see if the songs have any staying power or if they simply fade away as quickly as a new Velvet Revolver single.

in my poll. all i did was ask about them hearing the song, bono.

i think i speak for the rest when i say, nobody is saying that everyone that doesn't like it isn't giving it a chance.

but it's hard to call the negative reviews that flood in the minute it is released unbiased since they probably contain a LARGE percentage of people that were waiting to bash it (NOT GIVE IT A CHANCE) and the rest are fanboys waiting to worship it. it's hard to say which there has been more of but after a couple of weeks the die hards will grow tired of their fanboy promotion of the song and the inept columnists and djs will find something else to root against.

that is when and only when we will see honest feelings towards the song and from the silent majority. gnr has always had to battle bad press and i think the music will rise above that and do the talking for itself. you guys have to remember, no band/musician is liked by more than a miniscule portion of the world. if CD sells 5 million it will be a HUGE success and 5 million is a miniscule percentage of the planet's population. a few bad reviews, MOSTLY from radio stations who's dj's are negatively promnoting the single, does not make the song unpopular. they simply have the biggest mouths.

Board footer