You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

AtariLegend wrote:

"Now I was uh, perusing. I was reading all about my integrity, 'cause that's what I'm known for I guess - selling out my integrity. That's why I'm here with you tonight because I just don't give a fuck I guess. Yeah, that's why we worked real hard at this. That's why these guys worked real hard at being in a band that they can get abused for "because they're the guys in the way of stopping the old band from getting together." That's horseshit.

I'm not trying to bum anybody out, but, you know, I was thinking about it. I'm pretty blunt so people get real pissed. And I haven't done a lot of talking on this tour. I'll shut up real soon don't worry. You know, I've tried acting nice and that just ends up fucking me right up the ass. They take advantage of that. "Well, you see Axl said something nice, so how can we use that to our advantage?" ... The truth is they didn't want to be here for you at this level and they don't want to take it farther. I mean, that's their business right? But not at my expense or yours. You've been played. You've been lied to. You've been used. You've been manipulated so that they can ride around in limos and jam with Snoop Dogg or whoever the fuck. I don't care. That's their business, but they shouldn't really do it at your expense or mine.

Now as soon as I say this it'll be on an MP3, someone will transcribe it , and the next person will say "'Can you believe Axl said that? I mean my god. I mean he hasn't put out a record. I don't know why he would say that. I mean who does he think he is? That's not very nice. The other guys, they have gotten over it and they're his friend now and they're willing to be his friend and he just needs to grow up." .. I'm sorry. I'm a little bit more blunt. I mean, Slash may sound like a De La Hoya, but he's the fucking Vargas. That's just how it is. And just because you've got a bunch of guys agreeing doesn't mean shit. The truth is that they're a bunch of bad cops and I'm the fuckin Serpico and they can "suck my dick!"

"You know without Axl and Slash we wouldn't have November Rain and Estranged" .. Well you don't know what the fuck I went through to get that guy to play those songs. You don't know about the argument we had at A&M studios, because Duff and Slash came to me going "We're not gonna do that song Axl, we're not gonna do this song, no, no, we're just not gonna do it." .. But I wanna do it. We'll do it right now. This song is called 'patience'."

Albany 2002.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b49_v52OGNg

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

RussTCB wrote:

removed

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

I just think he is like dynamite, it takes a while to get to the explosive but better be far once it blows..

He is entitled to say how he feels.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

It's fucking retarded. Not saying he's right or wrong, but what is he even saying? Especially when he says it live, on the video, it's just painful how confused he is, and how bad those impressions are.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

But you cannot change impulsive people, sanguine, axl shares nothing or too much, he is just like me in this aspect, he may have lived into an emotional/intellectual promiscuity and doesn't quite know what to deliver to people and when.

Give him a break, don't make it so hard on him for christ's sakes.

He's come a LOOONG way as an individual, he is a lot better than he ever was.

Why don't you try and see what he said and read between the lines instead of focusing on how he said it ?

In french we say " the content is more important than the container".

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

James wrote:

Its the biggest load of horseshit in the history of the GNR universe. A critical low point in the band's history, and its no surprise that the tour imploded shortly after this rant. He was in no state of mind to be relaunching GNR. He was still obsessed with the past. Instead of releasing a new album, letting the public get to know the new lineup, and taking the first step in the trilogy, all we got was AFD and rants about the old band.

The 2002 tour never should have happened. He clearly wasn't ready, and he wasted the most potential new GNR ever had on that fiasco.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

God knows the pressures he's had from the music industry in the past.

Do you know some contracts go as far as 20 years ?

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

James wrote:

Cant blame Slash on contracts. That dog wont hunt. The GNR contract was restructured in the post Slash era. I am vague on details, but maybe Madagas, sic(if you're lurking jump in here), or russ can go into more detail.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

the_real_jessica wrote:

But you cannot change impulsive people, sanguine, axl shares nothing or too much, he is just like me in this aspect, he may have lived into an emotional/intellectual promiscuity and doesn't quite know what to deliver to people and when.

Give him a break, don't make it so hard on him for christ's sakes.

He's come a LOOONG way as an individual, he is a lot better than he ever was.

Why don't you try and see what he said and read between the lines instead of focusing on how he said it ?

In french we say " the content is more important than the container".

I will not give him a break on this. He's had access to the best help you can get; I have little respect for western diseases of mind and culture anyways. Bitching about how he feels and has been mistreated when he's a fucking millionaire. I know fame's tough, but for Christ's sake, it's what you wanted, and we all have problems. He's got a house and food and needs not worry about those things ever again. That's a problem I could identify with. One we all have. If you stop working, can you continue to live and eat for the rest of your life? If the answer is yes then I don't give a shit about your happiness. It's a luxury.

He has come a long way, but not through 2002. At that point he was as bad as ever it seems. In 06 and 07 he has been quite a bit "better", if you want to grade state of mind, but in 02 he was messed up.

What did he say other then "I can't move on, I don't understand the world around me, I'm pissed, other people are dicks, I'm a dick too, but better, because, like, when I'm nice and stuff, people are dicks to me and stuff, so I'm a dick too."

That's nonsense. When did he say nice things? Who tried to "use" them for their advantage? Who is he even talking about in this rant?

You mentioned reading between the lines. He said he's pretty blunt. Shouldn't have to read between lines. That's why we hate Axl. Because he's blunt.


I know that my biggest problem with Axl is that he's too blunt. Jesus fucking Christ.

monkeychow
 Rep: 643 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

monkeychow wrote:
Axl wrote:

Now I was uh, perusing. I was reading all about my integrity, 'cause that's what I'm known for I guess - selling out my integrity. That's why I'm here with you tonight because I just don't give a fuck I guess. Yeah, that's why we worked real hard at this. That's why these guys worked real hard at being in a band that they can get abused for "because they're the guys in the way of stopping the old band from getting together." That's horseshit.

I think has a point in this part. I don't really think he has ever done anything that suggests he doesn't have integrity. Using the name when it wasn't only his talent that made the band famous is not so much a lack of integrity as it is either misguided and arrogant or perhaps just desperate that he wants to carry on and can't get on with the old guys. It's also wrong to think the new guys are stopping the old guys from being in the band. If the new guys were gone we'd most likely have nothing at all


Axl wrote:

The truth is they didn't want to be here for you at this level and they don't want to take it farther.

There seems very little evidence to substiantiate this claim. I know axl is saying the guys are very different behind closed doors - so we should give him some benifit I guess. But when you look at it - most of the show cancellations etc back in the day were caused by Axl's emotional problems at the time, and these days well...ok..izzy seems content to be small time, but addler is constantly complaining how he was kicked out and wants to be back at that level, Gilby tried to get big again with Rockstar, and Slash Duff and Matt have formed VR which is a grammy award winning successful band. VR and Slash are often critized for over promotion and 'selling out' which would surely be indicators that they want to do just the oppoisite of what Axl is claiming here.

Axl wrote:

[i] I mean, that's their business right? But not at my expense or yours. You've been played. You've been lied to. You've been used. You've been manipulated so that they can ride around in limos and jam with Snoop Dogg or whoever the fuck. I don't care. That's their business, but they shouldn't really do it at your expense or mine.

I guess its because he was upset and this stuff is personal to him. But this really makes no sence. How has a fan been manipulated so Slash can jam with snoop dog? And how is it at Axl's expense? The only way this makes any sence would be if Axl thinks that the old guys trade on their fame and don't deserve their fame except using Axl's talents...which is misguided. Slash has a trademark guitar sound and tone, Izzy is a known songwriter etc....i'm not denying that Axl is a one of a kind genius...but the reason GNR was so good was because there were several people in the band with amazing talents....

Axl wrote:

[i] "You know without Axl and Slash we wouldn't have November Rain and Estranged" .. Well you don't know what the fuck I went through to get that guy to play those songs. You don't know about the argument we had at A&M studios, because Duff and Slash came to me going "We're not gonna do that song Axl, we're not gonna do this song, no, no, we're just not gonna do it." .. But I wanna do it. We'll do it right now. This song is called 'patience'."

I'm sure there would have been some friction in the band about the different styles at times. I mean you listen to Jungle, then you listen Estranged and its very different styles of music. I mean Axl brings the queen, Slash brings the Aerosmith, Izzy the Stones, Duff the punk etc....that's what made the band awesome.

I'd love to know more context about this story cos Patience's guitar is very much a Slash's style - that country arpegiated riffing he does a lot in snakepit and vr. So its unlikely he hated the song in general. Maybe it was the placing it on lies. But i guess Axl was there and we wernt. But my real issue with this statement is the implication that cos the guys were hard to get involved in certain songs that they didnt then contribute to them properly. Even if it was like getting blood from a stone - you can't top that tone of Slash's on Estranged, and one of the reasons November Rain was a critical and commercial success is those guitar solos. Its just a fact.

I mean its well known the creative process was painful for everyone in the band. The music on UYI is said to have been finished years before the vocals, but no one says that cos it was hard to get Axl to finish the record that the record somehow isnt good, or that he doesn't deserve his credit.

Bottom line, i can accept it if they never get back together, and people shouldn't blame axl alone. However people should also remember that it wasn't only Axl who made gnr the awesome band they were.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB