You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Steve Jones On Chinese Democracy... (From 1996)

AtariLegend wrote:

I was searching through old news articles on other sites, when I saw this article...

Is there anything else anyone know about it...?

GUNS N' ROSES Singer AXL ROSE Is Threatening To Fire The Rest Of The Group

GUNS N' ROSES singer AXL ROSE appears to have persuaded bandmates DUFF MCKAGAN and MATT SORUM to devote themselves to the group. And his demands mean he now has a temporary replacement for guitarist SLASH, who left the rockers earlier this year - STEVE JONES, who has just completed a reunion tour with his 1970s group the SEX PISTOLS. After Slash's departure, Rose laid down the law and expressed dissatisfaction with the NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS, the project bassist McKagan and drummer Sorum formed with DURAN DURAN star JOHN TAYLOR and Jones. Now the Neurotic Outsiders have reportedly canceled tour plans. Taylor is now going to concentrate on his own solo career while Jones is to guest on the forthcoming Guns N' Roses album.

Source: CyberSleaze November 2006

For those who don't know: http://wm03.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=a … qe5ldse~T1

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Nice find. Karma. I don't remember this for some reason, and I remember the Neurotic Outsiders project.

Gonna move this to the main section since it deals with CD.

James

James wrote:

I wouldn't mind hearing these sessions, but I think Steve Jones in the band would have been a huge mistake. No wonder nothing materialized in 96. It was probably garbage.

James

James wrote:

By the sound of it, Axl was able to bribe Neurotic Outsiders into canceling their plans by having Jones be involved in the CD project. I am surprised Taylor wasn't invited as well.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

By the sound of it, Axl was able to bribe Neurotic Outsiders into canceling their plans by having Jones be involved in the CD project. I am surprised Taylor wasn't invited as well.

Having Jones was probably similar to the Brian May thing, he was playing with a childhood hero/rock legend.

However with Taylor, I'd be surprised if Axl was listening to Duran Duran during the 80s.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

a punk guitarist with GnR would have been a fucking disaster IMO hmm

bringbackadler
 Rep: -10 

Neemo wrote:

Yeah, but in all fairness, so was a goth guy, so was a guy who wore a bucket on his head, and so is a  guy who tries to shred the classics. neutral

bba

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

^ Not many of the fans will agree with you on this. Finck and Bucket especially have brought this project to where it is as much as anyone, and the majority of the fanbase like it. Of course, those that don't, the smarter ones, leave and stop devoting time to a band they don't like.

A punk guitarist would've been bad, I don't think much of anything was recorded in 96 anyways.

Communist China wrote:

Of course, those that don't, the smarter ones, leave and stop devoting time to a band they don't like.

now thats an interesting concept...

dude i'd love to hear anything that came out of GNR during "the dark years".   Theres gotta be a vault stacked full of tapes.   Except for the ones Axl ran over.  cool

James

James wrote:
bringbackadler wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Yeah, but in all fairness, so was a goth guy, so was a guy who wore a bucket on his head, and so is a  guy who tries to shred the classics. neutral

bba

The "goth guy" and the "guy who wore a bucket on his head" are the only reason Axl was able to even build something out of the mid 90's fiasco. Its obvious nothing worth listening to came out of any 94-98 sessions, and those two (Finck and BH) were key to getting Axl's CD concept off the ground.

dude i'd love to hear anything that came out of GNR during "the dark years".   Theres gotta be a vault stacked full of tapes.   Except for the ones Axl ran over.

Last year, Duff said he had the GNR sessions with Zakk in his vault. So those tracks(although instrumentals) will probably surface one day.

Board footer