You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Moving The Website

Will wrote:

The last two days have seen access to this site being intermittent at best. I was away last week but have been told by quite a few folk that they had continuous problems getting on the board throughout the week.

The downtimes are caused by the spikes in traffic we're receiving, something that will only continue to get worse the closer Chinese Democracys release date gets.

For this reason we're moving GNRevolution away from chopaway and onto its own hosting package big_smile We should have done this a long time ago though for a few months everything seemed to be going smoothly. Whilst the move itself may cause a small amount of downtime we hope the new webhost will see us through the next few (busy) months and hopefully years without problems.

I've used many hosts over the years, all of them overselling and underachieving. Our new host, currently ranked #1 on hostjury is new to me, though after searching the net for bad reviews I found them to be few and far between. Other providers I looked at included Mosso, Mediatemple, Fasthosts, dreamhosts, ezpchosting, and our current host, streamline.nets, larger packages. A few google searches on those found too many bad reviews for our liking, specifically in the downtime area which is what we specifically want to avoid. Chopaway will remain with its current host.

We'll be setting gnrevolution.com to automatically redirect all pages within the site to the new url... www.gnrevolution.com. The site will remain ad-free under the new hosting.

If anyone has any questions post em up 22

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Sound good man. Just like the herps you won't be getting rid of us. 9

Will

Will wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Just like the herps you won't be getting rid of us. 9

Just received account details from the new hosting provider. For those interested I think the move will be done as follows:

1. Put current board in maintenance mode (no posting, registrations)
2. Download backup of current board (approx. 20 mins)
3. Import backup on new server (approx 1-2 hours)
4. Set gnrevolution.com to connect to newly located database
5. Take out of maintenance mode

I'll probably do this tonight and we'll see how it goes. If everything goes smoothly:

6. Update DNS records on gnrEvolution.com to point to new server (24-48 hours)

When the above is done:

7. Redirect all pages from gnrevolution.com/* to gnrevolution.com/*
8. Inform you guys to update your bookmarks.

I do have one or two concerns about the move but hopefully it goes smoothly. I'll post an update once the database is on the new server and we can see if we have any problems then....

Will

Will wrote:

For those of you who were in the chat room when I moved this site I apologise for my rather irrational estimation on how long it would take. Inevitably something fucked up and my "60 seconds" soon became an hour.

Regardless, we are now on the new server. The domain name, gnrevolution.com should be catching up with us over the next 48 hours smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Off topic, but would like to apologize for any private messages or emails I may have ignored over the past week or so. Both boxes have been flooded, and I'm sure some of those have slipped through the cracks. I would never intentionally ignore a message sent to me by an Evo member. If I didn't respond, feel free to resend the message.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Keep up the great work guys smile

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

The apostrophes in Chinese Whispers are a bit of a mess, I take it that this is a temporary glitch caused by the move.

Other than that, it seems all systems are a go.

fora
 Rep: 2 

fora wrote:

the chat doesn't work for me now. is it only for me?

fora
 Rep: 2 

fora wrote:

i got this message

403 Forbidden
Access is forbidden to the requested page:

208.67.84.130/~downline/modchatxmlrpc.php (port 80)
Please forward this error screen to 208.67.84.130's WebMaster.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

me too. says access denied. You trying to prevent leaks like CD.com James?

Board footer