You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

James answered the original question for me (thanks James). 

I don't think anybody is saying there's something wrong with what they are doing by copying other trends.  Very few artists are truely groundbreaking.  I think the problem is copying trends when they are already a little aged, then waiting 10 more years to think about releasing them.

True, you can't accuse Axl of rushing things 16

How and when is really of no consequence to me. It sounds good and it feels good. Last thing I wanted was an attempt to recreate something old.

As for the old band copying Aerosmith and the Stones, of course they did to some extent.  The difference is that when they played, you knew it was them playing even without Axl's voice.  They combined those styles and made it their own.  I don't hear any style of their own with the new band, especially without BH.  I hear a bunch of different styles thrown together for the sake of throwing them together.  That's fine, but it isn't groundbreaking.  There's no direction, nothing to build a foundation of their own off of.  Even with the bloated songs of UYI, you still have DTJ, Locomotive, YCBM, etc that let you know this was still the same band and tied it all together.

As far as having a foundation or identity I'd say the bets haven't been called yet. Yes, there are a lot of styles present in the new songs, and each song follows a different formula. This tends to sound contrived and patched, but I don't think so in this case. I also have to mention that the man is in his 40s. Surely some of his ways will be set, but when comparing him to other musicians at that stage in their career I'd say Axl fares pretty well.

Sky Dog wrote:

This use of the word "dated" is just ridiculous, especially when talking about recordings that aren't finally, mixed , mastered, and RELEASED with authorization from the artist! WE DON'T HAVE AN OFFICIALLY RELEASED RECORD. You are listening to unauthorized recordings, some of which may or may not be on the album and may or may not even be final takes of the songs. Everything in rock and roll is dated!:flame:
At this point, if you don't like it, just say it sucks. Radiohead uses hip hop beats on their new album and it doesn't sound dated-they just sound good. Axl's hip hop beats ON THESE UNOFFICIALLY RELEASED demos just suck, Maddy and Twat specifically, in my opinion. Two songs on Radiohead'sr new album, Reckoner and Nude, were both written 7-10 years ago. Waiting for a Friend by the Stones was written in some form as early as 1970...recorded for Goat's Head Soup in 1972/1973 but not released until 1981. Great fuckin song that still doesn't sound "dated". When was Nov Rain written-mid 80's? People still love it today...please get over the dated stuff because we HAVEN'T HEARD THE FINAL TRACKLISTED ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good points, but I worry not just about a Hysteria type production quality, but an Adrenalize type album. Not many people like when I use Def Lep references, but I'm not comparing GNR quality to them, I'm talking on terms of actual releases. Adrenalize was something that should have come out in the mid 80's, yet it was released in 1992. It was pretty much a nail in the coffin of that band(at least for me).

Sure, we aren't hearing officially released material, but I think these songs are advanced enough for people to form opinions on them.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, of course you can form opinions of what you actually hear-that is all we have. But you know and I know and anybody who knows about the history of rock and roll, knows that artists can record 3-4 fairly different mixes or alternate takes on the same song. Dylan did it all the time. Neil Young is releasing two or three tracks not released from a scrapped mid 70's album in the next few weeks. They are suppose to be awesome. This is not uncommon in rock and roll. If the current leaks ended up being a large chunk of the final album, I would be pissed because I only like bits and pieces of most of those songs. I personally think they could be A LOT better. However, I do hold hope that the record will not be a hodge podge melting pot of styles that the 10 new songs from the new Gnr represent. After all this time, I would hope Axl, the other band members,  and the record company have more sense than that. But, until I hear an official album, I am not going to prejudge an album or an artists ten years of work on 6 demos and a few songs played live 3-4 times.:/

ps...I also agree that the production sucks. Maybe that is the reason the band never let go of the material, they were simply trying to get the production right. The songs don't stink, but some of the production does. Tommy mentioned something about poor production in the past...

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

They were boozing and doing drugs waaay before they even made it big, they just did alot more after that and before the UYI tours which Axl did most of his no shows, I don't think they did any more boozing and drug use because of it, IMO.

I'm fairly certain it did. Slash has proven more than once that the trails and tribulations of touring got to him and drove him to substance abuse. I reckon Axl's attitude amplified the already existing problem. Don't forget it's not only his no-shows, but his overall volatility showed

It's all good and well to be a 'perfectionist', but starting hours late detracts so much from the overall quality of the show, once can hardly be accused of being a perfectionist when one does so.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:

It's all good and well to be a 'perfectionist', but starting hours late detracts so much from the overall quality of the show, once can hardly be accused of being a perfectionist when one does so.

Does it though? I think the show will be better when the musicians are in the mood to play the show. Like I think Axl would perform better when (after a 3 hr wait or whatever) he is actually in the frame of mind where he feels he can deliver a good performance and wants to play the songs, rather than if he turned up on time, had emotional problems on his mind the whole time but just faked it and ran through the motions for the audience....

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

This use of the word "dated" is just ridiculous, especially when talking about recordings that aren't finally, mixed , mastered, and RELEASED with authorization from the artist!

The huge difference is that songs that were played by 'real' instruments (guitar, drum, piano etc) have a smaller chance to sound 'dated', cause the natural sound makes them 'eternal'. Unlike computer music - Depeche Mode's 80s albums sound dated, NIN's Pretty Hate Machine, Kraftwerk etc. all sound dated. My World sounds dated. The synth in PC sounds dated. Computer music'sbeen evolving much faster than anything else in music, so it's quite a risk and an opportunity at the same time. What sounds fresh today will be dated tomorrow.

TheMole wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

They were boozing and doing drugs waaay before they even made it big, they just did alot more after that and before the UYI tours which Axl did most of his no shows, I don't think they did any more boozing and drug use because of it, IMO.

I'm fairly certain it did. Slash has proven more than once that the trails and tribulations of touring got to him and drove him to substance abuse. I reckon Axl's attitude amplified the already existing problem. Don't forget it's not only his no-shows, but his overall volatility showed

Axl was definitely a tough egg to work with that's definitely something that cannot be disputed and maybe even an understatement.  Is what makes him a great musician I am sure and also from what people say when they meet him and from what some of the band members say about him over the years, he is a nice guy with a big heart.   Maybe you are correct in saying they indulged more to deal with it.

I think Axl has the right just like anyone else in the band to defend himself and his position.   That's why this rant IMO was good to hear, he never talked to the press about it and it was finally like he finally said something ..ya know?   It was actually refreshing to me.   Doesn't mean I take his side fully because I am of the belief they all had a hand in the break up, it just didn't work like it did before.   If they feel they couldn't handle Axl anymore and decided to walk away then good for them for not taking it.   Always there is 2 sides to every story and this was just a tidbit of Axls side.   Until we can hear the full story from him, if ever, then I'd be more informed on the situation and see it from both sides rather then go off and say that the blame lies in Axl.   Maybe there are reasons for the way he acted at times that was caused by Slash, Duff and Matt or anyone else.   We just don't know and that's the problem.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer