You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Sopranos

James wrote:

I'm shocked that they killed Pussy. I figured he would be a recurring character throughout the show.  Gonna watch a few more episodes tonight.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

awesome.. a thread on my favorite show ever...
the only issue i ever had is it sometimes does that thing that i hear "lost" does.. where it seems like something is going somewhere or that something is deeper than we're led to believe... then it ultimately goes nowhere...or it fizzles out due to stupid shit...
i really should go back and watch it from the beginning too..

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

the only issue i ever had is it sometimes does that thing that i hear "lost" does.. where it seems like something is going somewhere or that something is deeper than we're led to believe... then it ultimately goes nowhere...or it fizzles out due to stupid shit...

Really the problem(and I agree that Lost has the same problem) is the fact that they introduced too many interesting characters, but didn't have enough time to really flush them out without abandoning the main storyline.

Tommie wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I bought the entitre series from a Haji shop 2 weeks ago and watch an episode or 2 everynight before I goto bed.  I've started season 3 and am very impressed.

Best episode of season 3 is Pine Barrens, very funny ep.

Best episode of the series as far as I'm concerned.

jorge76 wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

Really the problem(and I agree that Lost has the same problem) is the fact that they introduced too many interesting characters, but didn't have enough time to really flush them out without abandoning the main storyline.

Tommie wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I bought the entitre series from a Haji shop 2 weeks ago and watch an episode or 2 everynight before I goto bed.  I've started season 3 and am very impressed.

Best episode of season 3 is Pine Barrens, very funny ep.

Best episode of the series as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, the Pine Barrens episode is definitely a classic episode!

James

James wrote:

Sucks that his mom died. It happened all of a sudden and didn't make much sense as a plot point in the show at this point(season 3) in the series. After watching the first four episodes of season 3, I went and googled this and to no surprise the actress actually died in real life so they had to kill her off in the show.

Tony's relationship with his mother was one of the highlights for me. Will be interesting to see how his personal issues change with his mother absent. The aspects of his personal life is what got me hooked on this show. Everything else is typical mob shit.

The other part of the show I liked saw a major curve thrown in as well. Dr. Melfi was raped and this created tension with her husband and it looks like her relationship with Tony might be changing. As that last episode I watched ended, Tony was asking her what was wrong and she almost told him.

On a side note, I don't like the editing so far in season 3, especially that first episode. Its edited like there were commercial breaks, and we know there wasn't since it was on HBO. Hopefully this technique is changed very soon in this season.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

well james... that was an audible...
the actress that played tony's mom actually died... so they had to basically rewrite EVERYTHING... it definitely sucked the life ( no pun) outta the season, and in some ways, the rest of the show
as for the commercial breaks.. i don't really know when it happened, but they did sign a deal with A&E to broadcast the show... i don't know if that played a role or not...

James

James wrote:

I'm watching these on DVD. If they are using versions of the episodes that aired on regular cable, that's fucked up.

Yeah, had a feeling her dying would mess with the flow of the show. Gonna continue watching of course, but it sucks that it went down like that.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

i think, what i mean is.. they started to shoot the show to accomodate "possible" basic cable syndication.. the way that sex and the city sorta shot "clean" versions of every show...

James

James wrote:

Was sick for a couple days, and basically had a huge marathon of this show. Finished season 4 earlier today. This series does get consistently worse as it goes on. I'm tired of these subplots that go nowhere. That has plagued the show since the beginning, but with the quality dropping you tend to notice it more now. The relationship between Tony and his doctor could have been taken to a new level with the rape, but after one episode that was swept under the rug. Junior's trial was a snooze fest. I'd rather that season be condensed instead of dragging it out with that drivel. The horse subplot was interesting...until you realize it was just put in there as an excuse to kill Ralph. He already had a trillion reasons to kill him, so why was that the breaking point?

The Carmine/Johnny Sac angle is boring. It just goes around in circles with no conclusion. One of the highlights of season 4 was Furio and Carmela and how that helped put a strain on her relationship with Tony. They just split up though not long after Furio went AWOL, and I'm already wondering how that is going to affect the quality of the show as its obvious this is going to be a long term separation.

This might be my dick talking, but the Meadow Soprano character is criminally underused. They blew an opportunity early in the series with the drug thing, and am I the only one that sees endless possibilities with a mob chick in college? They totally ignore her except when she's dating someone or a member of the family stops by.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Was sick for a couple days, and basically had a huge marathon of this show. Finished season 4 earlier today. This series does get consistently worse as it goes on. I'm tired of these subplots that go nowhere. That has plagued the show since the beginning, but with the quality dropping you tend to notice it more now. The relationship between Tony and his doctor could have been taken to a new level with the rape, but after one episode that was swept under the rug. Junior's trial was a snooze fest. I'd rather that season be condensed instead of dragging it out with that drivel. The horse subplot was interesting...until you realize it was just put in there as an excuse to kill Ralph. He already had a trillion reasons to kill him, so why was that the breaking point?

The Carmine/Johnny Sac angle is boring. It just goes around in circles with no conclusion. One of the highlights of season 4 was Furio and Carmela and how that helped put a strain on her relationship with Tony. They just split up though not long after Furio went AWOL, and I'm already wondering how that is going to affect the quality of the show as its obvious this is going to be a long term separation.

This might be my dick talking, but the Meadow Soprano character is criminally underused. They blew an opportunity early in the series with the drug thing, and am I the only one that sees endless possibilities with a mob chick in college? They totally ignore her except when she's dating someone or a member of the family stops by.

you hit the nail right on the head...
myself... i just kept thinking "ok.. this is somehow gonna play out somewhere down the line"... all of it...  like the "pine barrens" episode.... but it never did...the russian guy was gone forever... now i think..."what the fuck?"....marchand's death was, in hindsight, the death of a good show. at that point it became a shitty m. night shaymalan movie... you keep waiting for "the twist" that never comes...
still.. based on the first 2 seasons alone, it's among my top favorite shows ever

Board footer