You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

Re: On the Eve of Democracy, Where's Axl?

bazgnr wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

you gotta think, to people other than the hardcore motherfuckers... AFD was perfect at the time for the mainstream... UYI was an ambitious project by a band that was on the verge of being the next Zeppelin/stones/aerosmith.. and CD is being released to an entirely different musical climate.

I agree with a lot of your post(s), but now I disagree. AFD was against everything that was popular in the mid-late 80s. GN'R was the out-of-glam rock band, which didn't sing about being a cowboy and ride a Harley, going to a drive-in movie with your girlfriend etc. It was heavy, really heavy, both musically and lyrically. It wasn't Unskinny Bop, it was Welcome to the fuckin' Jungle and they changed the whole landscape, while none of them, including managers and company bosses, thought it would be successful.

And I agree with 95% of what you wrote, with the exception of your last sentence.  Given the bidding war that went on over GN'R, certainly managers and record companies knew the band was something special, and something worth fighting for.  I doubt very much that a bidding war would have ensued over a band people didn't think could be successful.  I know getting the Jungle video on the air took some doing, but once it aired, that was that.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

you gotta think, to people other than the hardcore motherfuckers... AFD was perfect at the time for the mainstream... UYI was an ambitious project by a band that was on the verge of being the next Zeppelin/stones/aerosmith.. and CD is being released to an entirely different musical climate.

I agree with a lot of your post(s), but now I disagree. AFD was against everything that was popular in the mid-late 80s. GN'R was the out-of-glam rock band, which didn't sing about being a cowboy and ride a Harley, going to a drive-in movie with your girlfriend etc. It was heavy, really heavy, both musically and lyrically. It wasn't Unskinny Bop, it was Welcome to the fuckin' Jungle and they changed the whole landscape, while none of them, including managers and company bosses, thought it would be successful.

No... the hair metal scene was becoming alot like mainstream rock now...
a shitload of bands that looked and sounded just like the last band before it...
but by 88-89 that shit was already becoming a parody of itself... it was played out..eventually you had 3rd generation copycats like slaughter and fucking firehouse... The mainstream didn't immediately latch on to appetite, but when it did, it was the beginning of the end for ALL of the bands that dressed like chicks...it was a movement.. a paradigm shift... all of a sudden, motley crue were wearing harley davidson t shirts and not shaving... EVERYONE wanted to be them..but THEY were real. and everyone knew it. it wasn't pretty, and it put them in a position to BE the next... whatever. Grunge took that to the next level. and while there may have been some of those bands up in seattle already, (Alice in chains was originally called "Alice N' Chainz")  No major label would have EVER had the balls to sign a band like nirvana or pearl jam had it not been for the success of AFD...

edit*  so basically.. it WAS perfect for the mainstream at the time...

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

That's what I was saying

@ bazgnr - yeah, they felt GN'R had a huge potential, but nobody expected such a success. I remember interviews where the company people said they thought SCOM was only a filler, yet this song was their first hit 1 year after the album release. Even WTTJ tanked first.

Board footer