You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: (OLD NEWS!)The Limewire Leaks Discussion

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axl had the balls to try new things and you have to respect that. In my opinion, this is what made the Beatles and Led Zeppelin the two best bands in rock history. Despite creating a massively successful formula, they both experimented and went into a lot of diverse musical areas in their careers. When I see talented guys like Slash and Duff saying that they want to keep putting out AFD-sounding albums, it makes me feel bad for them. It's such a pathetic existence to keep using the same formula. It may be successful, but it is pathetic nonetheless. And that's why Axl calls them a sellout in "Sorry."

'Whatever trend was popular, Axl wanted to do that', like Zakk Wylde and others said. I don't know what can be a better description of selling out. Yeah, blackmaling your bandmates and taking the name.

On the other hand Slash did more diverse music in the last 15 years than Axl. Period. People should stop praising If The World and listen Obsession Confession. I could list tons of examples of Slash's diversity. As for Axl's stupid 'Slash hated everything new' comment - Contraband was bashed for its 'too modern sounding', which was a valid point. Also, one of Slash's favourites is NIN, especially The Downward Spiral. He was just not keen on copying others, although at some point almost agreed on trying to do something industrial. I like Axl, he's a real crazy genius, but don't act like he'd have explored something complex music. He just adds and adds layers cause they didn't have strong basic ideas for the songs. I know it's harsh and there are exceptions on the new album, but mostly true.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axl had the balls to try new things and you have to respect that. In my opinion, this is what made the Beatles and Led Zeppelin the two best bands in rock history. Despite creating a massively successful formula, they both experimented and went into a lot of diverse musical areas in their careers. When I see talented guys like Slash and Duff saying that they want to keep putting out AFD-sounding albums, it makes me feel bad for them. It's such a pathetic existence to keep using the same formula. It may be successful, but it is pathetic nonetheless. And that's why Axl calls them a sellout in "Sorry."

'Whatever trend was popular, Axl wanted to do that', like Zakk Wylde and others said. I don't know what can be a better description of selling out. Yeah, blackmaling your bandmates and taking the name.

On the other hand Slash did more diverse music in the last 15 years than Axl. Period. People should stop praising If The World and listen Obsession Confession. I could list tons of examples of Slash's diversity. As for Axl's stupid 'Slash hated everything new' comment - Contraband was bashed for its 'too modern sounding', which was a valid point. Also, one of Slash's favourites is NIN, especially The Downward Spiral. He was just not keen on copying others, although at some point almost agreed on trying to do something industrial. I like Axl, he's a real crazy genius, but don't act like he'd have explored something complex music. He just adds and adds layers cause they didn't have strong basic ideas for the songs. I know it's harsh and there are exceptions on the new album, but mostly true.

Uh, no it's not basically true. It's your own opinion. I think the new Guns material for the most part is very strong.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Contraband did not sound modern in any aspect aside from the production, because they hired a "nu-metal" producer who used those types of recording techniques

And Slash went out of his way to throw the producer under the bus after the fact by saying he didn't know how to properly record guitars.  Instead of, you know, just getting another producer when they were recording the album.  Kind of like he talked up Libertad like it was a great album, artistically liberating, totally organic and cohesive and amazing, and now he says that the rest of the band caved in and let Weiland dominate the direction of the album. 

I remember the 1995 interview when Slash was complaining about how Axl was into Pearl Jam and was interested in doing some songs in that style, and how Pearl Jam sucks.  Fast forward 11 years and he's in a band with a guy who a lot of people called an Eddie Vedder clone when he first came on the scene, making an album with a producer who producer 4 Pearl Jam albums

I also don't see how Slash doing an industrial song would be "copying" somebody else, anymore than him doing the same type of music he's always done is copying Joe Perry and Jimmy Page

layne88
 Rep: 0 

layne88 wrote:

Can somebody send me the link of the cleaner versions? please

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Contraband sounded nu-metalish in terms of having a lot of too-simple, one-dimension songs. CB isn't Slash's songwriting style, the Snakepit (and GN'R) records prove that. The same goes for Libertad, which is a better produced album, but they sticked to the one song - one or two riffs concept. They were lazy, or Scott forced them to do that, I can't tell.

You have valid points that Slash praises his records and later talks about why it wasn't that great, but hey, every artist does the same. At least he didn't call the album 'a demo'.

Last time I checked Slash wasn't copying anyone, although he has his influences and roots. You really should check out Slash's material and then talk about him doing the same thing for decades, cause I feel you don't know what you're talking about. No offense.

Anyway, back to topic. I still stick to my opinion that Axl's music is not innovative, and mostly uninspired. He's still great (if not greater than ever) lyrically though.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Anyway, back to topic. I still stick to my opinion that Axl's music is not innovative, and mostly uninspired. He's still great (if not greater than ever) lyrically though.

Actually that is OFF-TOPIC. The topic of this thread is the leaks. Care to comment on "Sorry" or do you want to just keep bashing Axl and the new band in generic terms?

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Do you know what was offtopic? When some of you started to bash Slash and the others for their supposed 'pathetic existence to keep using the same formula'. Saying that Axl's music isn't anything special is generic, but much more ontopic. I really dig Sorry though, that's a great song.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Do you know what was offtopic? When some of you started to bash Slash and the others for their supposed 'pathetic existence to keep using the same formula'. Saying that Axl's music isn't anything special is generic, but much more ontopic. I really dig Sorry though, that's a great song.

No, that was discussing Axl's lyrics in Sorry, which are clearly aimed at the old band members. They spent years bashing the guy and this is one of the few times he's lashed out at them. Bout damn time if you ask me. Nothing is ever as one-sided as those guys made it out to be. Axl is a prick with a huge ego. There is no doubt of that. But the fact that Slash and Duff were on drugs and alcohol out the ass while Axl was clean tells me that there's a hell of a lot more to the story than they ever told us over the years.

And by the way, good luck convincing ANYONE that the music on Contraband and Libertad is somehow "inspired." What a joke. I'd say "Sorry" was pretty darn inspired. Perhaps the other band members should have used their bitterness towards Axl on some Contraband songs and we'd get something a lot better than what we did. Or hell, perhaps they should have hired a much better singer/writer than Weiland.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

No, that was discussing Axl's lyrics in Sorry, which are clearly aimed at the old band members. They spent years bashing the guy and this is one of the few times he's lashed out at them.

No, that was your opinion (based on Sorry) and you started an anti-Slash bash fest. I reacted to that. I'm still waiting for those harsh Slash-quotes against Axl though.

tejastech08 wrote:

Nothing is ever as one-sided as those guys made it out to be. Axl is a prick with a huge ego. There is no doubt of that. But the fact that Slash and Duff were on drugs and alcohol out the ass while Axl was clean tells me that there's a hell of a lot more to the story than they ever told us over the years.

Agreed.

tejastech08 wrote:

And by the way, good luck convincing ANYONE that the music on Contraband and Libertad is somehow "inspired." What a joke

Quote me saying that. I think that some of the music is inispired on those records. Not much. I was disappointed. But the Snakepits were inspired records, mostly the first one.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Lmao, Mikkamakka for all the Axlites you bash, you are a classic Slashite.

To think ANYTHING on Contraband & Libertad is inspired, is a big laugh.

If VR's material is inspired, than CD is the fuckin' White Album.

Board footer