You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: Funeral picketers loose verdict

Tommie wrote:

Funeral war picketers lose verdict
Anti-gay church protested at ceremony for man's son, a fallen Iraq Marine
The Associated Press
updated 7:34 p.m. ET, Wed., Oct. 31, 2007

BALTIMORE - A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.

The jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.

Snyder's attorney, Craig Trebilcock, had urged jurors to determine an amount "that says don't do this in Maryland again. Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again."

Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."

A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. But the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.

The church and three of its leaders '” the Rev. Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper and Rebecca Phelps-Davis, 46 '” were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress.

Award 'exceeds the net worth' of defendants
Even the size of the award for compensating damages alone "far exceeds the net worth of the defendants," according to financial statements filed with the court, U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett noted.

Snyder claimed the protests intruded upon what should have been a private ceremony and sullied his memory of the event.

The church members testified they are following their religious beliefs by spreading the message that soldiers are dying because the nation is too tolerant of homosexuality.

Their attorneys maintained in closing arguments Tuesday that the burial was a public event and that even abhorrent points of view are protected by the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech and religion.

Earlier, church members staged a demonstration outside the federal courthouse. Church founder Fred Phelps held a sign reading "God is your enemy," while Shirley Phelps-Roper stood on an American flag and carried a sign that read "God hates fag enablers." Members of the group sang "God Hates America" to the tune of "God Bless America."

Snyder sobbed when he heard the verdict, while members of the church greeted the news with tightlipped smiles.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21566280/
MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2007 MSNBC.com

-----------------------------
This church disgusts me.  They got exactly what they deserve.  I'm a big supporter of the freedom of speech, but this went above and beyond what the first amendment protects.  The only question I still have though is, how did the father manage to control his anger when they showed up at the funeral?  I would have killed someone.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, that church is scum of the earth. They should all be lynched. The funny thing is that people who are that opposed publicly to homosexuals are usually homosexuals themselves.

Any time there is an anti gay rally, you can bet your life the majority involved in the rally are gays still in the closet.

People are strange.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

In Micheal Moore's old series The Aweful Truth he filled an RV with gay guys(called it the Sodomobile) and they were going state to state breaking anti-sodomy laws. 

They ran in to Phelps a couple times (this was before the war when they would just do it at gay funerals, not military).  The results were pretty funny.

I would think there's video on the net somewhere, it's worth watching.

Edit: and here it is if anybody's interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABH_RFeeGAs

We aired this on IFC, infact I think we still have the masters inhouse.   I never checked out the series.

Anti Gay rallys are just plain ignorant and I agree with James, lots of people in denial that are protestors.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I live in a military area and I am a huge pro-military guy. We had these assholes protesting at a funeral here when one of our soldiers returned home. I was fuming and wanted to pound there faces in. But I guess everyone knows how sick and big of pieces of shit they are, they dont need me pointing it out.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah I fucking hate this shit. There should be anti-funeral protesting laws. You can argue free-speech all you want, but if they can make laws & stuff more criminal in a school area, you can make it criminal in a cemetary area also.  After all, you DON'T have the right to scream fire in a crowded theater.

I doubley (is that a word) disagree with it because one has nothing to do with the other. Protesting the war is one thing, blaming the deaths at the war on gays is fucking retarded. Funny thing is, I bet the guy leading this church is cashing in big time on the attention the sheep who are following him are giving him & donating. Guy probably bought a new mansion because of those dopes. He probably doesn't even go, just has his cult followers go to protest.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They're just ashamed of themselves for being gay and want to blame anyone but themselves for the cum dripping down their chin. Its why they will go to such extremes to try and disguise it. They think doing such horrendous things will take the focus off them.

Just like how alot of people who are anti abortion have had abortions themselves. Its a way for them to disguise their guilt.

Scarlett
 Rep: 2 

Scarlett wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Just like how alot of people who are anti abortion have had abortions themselves. Its a way for them to disguise their guilt.

I was just going to post this very same thing, James. I know of several female "anti-abortion" supporters who had abortions themselves and it amazes me how it was ok when they needed to use this as a form of birth control, but once they've grown up suddenly it seems immoral to them. I myself support it for extreme reasons- rape victim, baby may be born severely handicapped or the mother's life is in danger due to the pregnancy. Although I've never had one, I feel it should be available for other women, right or wrong. Far better in a clinic than on the bathroom floor with a coat hanger.

Back to the topic at hand- this group disgusts me. I can't imagine going to anybody's funeral and making an ass out of myself like that no matter what the cause. Heaven forbid any one of my soldier family members or friends over Iraq died and these fools try to do this at one of their funerals- I wouldn't be responsible for rearranging some of their faces. 4

Board footer