You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Couple questions/comments about album

sic. wrote:

Ok, so how does it go?

Let's see...

This was in late '99.

"[Axl expects to get] another record out of the hours and hours of material he's committed to tape, possibly one that's even more industrial and electronica-influence than Chinese Democracy." (Rolling Stone, 01/00)

"We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs. [...] The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time..." (MTV, 11/08/99)

"Most of the stronger songs that ended up on A-lists when I was there were huge rock songs, built for the masses, really guitar-driven." (Robin, Wall of Sound, 05/00)

"I think we worked on thirty-five songs or something." (Sean Beavan, Antiquiet, 08/13/08)

"There's a whole album of vocal parts [in late '99]. In fact, there's two albums worth that they've got there, at least." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)

"'As far as I can tell,' says GnR's manager Doug Goldstein, 'we are now 99% musically done and 80% vocals done [in November '99]. I see the record being done Feb or March for a summer release.'" (Rolling Stone, 01/00)

In late '99, there were 35 or so songs on the A-list, most of which contained vocal parts. That's nearly 30 songs with Axl's singing on top. The B-list had various loop, ideas and sketches without lead vocals, and it contained around as many individual songs.

Out of those 35 A-listed songs, we're now getting 9-10, depending whether Rhiad was around at that time. OMG and maybe Silk Worms also fall into that category, which pushes the total amount to 11-12.

So there's around 20 unheard songs with lead vocals dating back to the Beavan era. Some former B-list tracks - or entirely different, later songs [Sorry, Scraped, Shackler] may increase the numbers as they are.

Regardless, we're still looking at a huge backlog, filed under '99.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I wonder if Sorry is Seven, that the latter was just a working title. Seven was supposed to be the best out of the group of Thyme, Leave Me Alone and The General.

We're also forgetting Ides Of March.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Songs we know of:

Ides of March ('98)
Oklahoma ('98)

Atlas Shrugged ('99)
Oh My God ('99)

Silk Worms ('00)

Leave Me Alone ('02)
Seven ('02)
The General ('02)
Thyme ('02)

Zodiac ('05)
Quick Song ('05)

By first year of mention. Some songs are likely older than that, but without any official source, it's a bit tricky to date them.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Didnt Richard mention something called "motormouth" once?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Didnt Richard mention something called "motormouth" once?

wasnt that some lame lie told by someone on the forums?

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

What about Ides of March, Cock-a-roach soup, Suckerpunched, No Love Remains,  Friend or Foe, Zip It, Something Always, Hearts Get Killed, Closing In On You, Strange Disease, Eulogy of a Broken Heart?  There's definitely tons of songs we haven't heard yet.

Sky Dog wrote:

those, except for Ides of March I believe, were all titles that were never mentioned by the band....most of them sound like made up names by journalists or fans....Kerrang mentioned most of those and they are a complete piece of shit metal rag...If the track name doesn't come from a bandmember or someone actually working on the project, I wouldn't believe it.:headbang:

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

as far as i can tell the ones sic posted are the only names of songs which wont be appearing on CD that have been mentioned by axl, the band, or those in the know

if there are any others that are for sure for sure please let me know (with proof) as i am keeping track of all this for our discography big_smile

Sky Dog wrote:

I agree..we should source the names who mentioned them as well. Our best assumption is to go with Axl's March 2006 comment of him working on 32 songs with 26 near complete. I think it is safe to assume there is another 18 finished tracks in the can (as Sic as said). Now, what their final names are is anyone's guess. 22

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

good idea...please help me out guys....i need those who mentioned the names, when they were mentioned and any descriptions given...and i'll put it all together in the discography section 5

Board footer