You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Couple questions/comments about album

First off let me say I can't believe CD is finally being released.  I'm proud of Axl for finally getting the thing done and for his management giving the album the promotional push it deserves. 

However, when looking at the track list I can't help feeling, is that it?  'Where's "Seven," "Oklahoma," "General," "Thyme" and the other dozen or so unreleased tracks we've heard about the last 10 years?  I personally was hoping CD would be a 2 disc set.  With Disc 1 featuring nothing but unheard music  And Disc 2 featuring the stuff that leaked.  I mean, in 1991 after only a 3 year wait we got a 2 CD "Use Your Illusion set" featuring 2 1/2 hours of music.   And now after waiting 17 years all we get is 14 tracks at around 70 minutes. 

I personally think Axl should have included all 23 songs he mentioned back in 2006 on Eddie Trunk's show.  Plus "Oh My God," "Silkworms" and everything else "in the vaults."  He could also include some alternate takes & remixes.  (UYI had 2 versions of "Dont' Cry") Reward the fans for our loyalty and patience. 

As far as what we are actually getting in 2 weeks, I love the track running order.  How the album goes from hard to soft, back to hard and then soft again.  Its like an industrial/epic ballad concept album in the end. 

I'm looking forward to the 23rd just because there's finally going to be a "Guns n Roses: Chinese Democracy" available officially.  Never thought I'd see the day.  Unfortunately, I feel like I've heard the entire album already minus the 3 new songs which I've refused to download.  Here's my breakdown of the album: 

TRACKS I'vE LISTENED TO WAY TOO MANY TIMES SINCE 2006 AND AM HONESTLY SICK OF:  Chinese Democracy, Street Of Dreams/The Blues, Madagascar, Riad, Better, There Was A Time, I.R.S., Catcher In The Rye (feel like all those songs are 2 to 7 years old)

TRACKS I STILL ENJOY
Shackler's Revenge, Prostitute, If The World (sort of, Axl's vocals on this are an acquired taste)

TRACKS I HAVEN'T HEARD YET
Sorry, Scraped, This I Love

Of course it's my fault for downloading the leaked demos the last 2 years and listening to them over and over.  I have to say I've loved all them initially.  (Except "If The World")  For fans who haven't heard of any of the 14 tracks, it will be interesting to hear their reaction after the 23rd.  Even most music critics have already heard more than half of Chinese Democracy.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oklahoma I believe was actually the working title of Riad N' The Bedouins.

It's been rumored for years that Thyme was the original title for TWAT. But that could be wrong.

There's also rumors that The General was the original working title for Sorry, but I highly doubt that considering the fact Baz laid vocals down on Sorry, and also spoke of The General at the same time, with Axl saying it'd be in the 'third album'.

Granted this album will be loaded with 'big Guns', but i'm sure GN'R still have a few aces up their sleeve, and they don't want to give it ALL away at once.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Oklahoma I believe was actually the working title of Riad N' The Bedouins.

see.. i heard that too and was shot down on another forum...
then again.. i was shot down when i said "song #2" was prostitute...
many times...

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Oklahoma is not the working title of Rhiad. It was a misunderstanding at the first Vegas show and people's been thinking it ever since.

Sky Dog wrote:

As we saw with Street of Dreams/The Blues, titles are meaningless until the track is copyrighted and put out for official release. Estranged was referred to by Axl as Without You in a Rolling Stone interview in 1989. 19

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

There's also rumors that The General was the original working title for Sorry, but I highly doubt that considering the fact Baz laid vocals down on Sorry, and also spoke of The General at the same time, with Axl saying it'd be in the 'third album'.

Yeah, and Baz gave an identical description when mentioning both tracks.

As we saw with Street of Dreams/The Blues, titles are meaningless until the track is copyrighted and put out for official release. Estranged was referred to by Axl as Without You in a Rolling Stone interview in the late 80's.

Agree 100%. Also, people should take into account that songs that used to have Beltrami or Buckmaster on them now include both of them. Pretty safe to say that ideas meant for other songs were merged into songs we've already heard.

I'm not believing anything regarding albums 2 and 3 until Axl goes into specific details.

Sky Dog wrote:

Yeah, I am staying away from the album 2 and 3 talk.....I actually feel lucky that we got this one. Anything else will just be gravy....:ummm:

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah, and Baz gave an identical description when mentioning both tracks.

As we saw with Street of Dreams/The Blues, titles are meaningless until the track is copyrighted and put out for official release. Estranged was referred to by Axl as Without You in a Rolling Stone interview in the late 80's.

Agree 100%. Also, people should take into account that songs that used to have Beltrami or Buckmaster on them now include both of them. Pretty safe to say that ideas meant for other songs were merged into songs we've already heard.

I'm not believing anything regarding albums 2 and 3 until Axl goes into specific details.

Didn't Dizzy say B|rain wrote the general? At least the music? Thats a seperate comment to the one that its got powerful drums. Can't remember who said that one.

I'm also sceptical about a 2nd or 3rd album, but i doubt we've heard the general yet.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Baz called The General one of the most aggressive songs that Axl's written and said that he's never heard Axl sing that high except on his own album.  It's also one of the tracks that Beltrami worked on.  So definitely not Sorry or any other song we've heard

Axl mentioned in '06 that they were "currently working on 32 songs, 26 of which are nearly done."  Now you can take that a number of ways but bottom line they have another 18 actual songs that are complete or near complete that aren't on this album

Pitman just mentioned they have hundreds of songs and are actively still working on stuff for future releases

Atlas Shrugged is another song that we haven't heard, because it's known that this is one of the tracks Brian May worked on in 1999, maybe it's Checkmate.  Either way, Tom Zutaut said it was one of the best songs they had and it's not on there

I don't see why people are so skeptical about there being a lot of other songs out there from 2000-present.  We hadn't heard of Scraped until a month or so ago, hadn't heard of Shackler's until the middle of this year, would never have heard of Sorry until recently if Baz hadn't mentioned it

Just look at the way that song titles have been released.  Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Catcher, TWAT, IRS, Prostitute were all mentioned in RS articles in 1999 or 2000 when Axl played songs for them.  Madagascar and Riad were unveiled live.  The Beltrami tracks were mentioned by him in 2002.

But the other songs like Atlas Shrugged, Scraped, If The World, Better, Shackler's, Scraped, etc were all mentioned 6, 7, 8, years after they were recorded.  I'm sure there are plenty more that haven't been mentioned or named yet.  Many of the "big guns" were only known because they were mentioned in name by Axl to Rolling Stone, or appeared on the setlist years after they were composed

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

Im happy with the release of Chinese Democracy, and I hope a new cd in the next year.

Board footer