You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: The Rolling Stone Review-Chinese Democracy

Bono wrote:

For Madagas(cause I'm pretty sure it's directed at among others, me.)

Maybe there are some out there who want it to fail completely. I've never been one of those people.  At least not when it comes to quality music. Good reviews are also awesome.  I think it'll be cool if alot of people like this album. If album sales are slow though sure I'll admit I might crack a small smile.  As a  fan I've said it many times. I feel Axl really pissed on his fans in 2006. Not only did he basically flat out lie to them he showed such distain for them in my opinion. In my world actions have reactions so if album sales are slow yeah that to me shows that people are pissed and would rather not support this. If people aren't supporting it simply based on "where's Slash" than that's lame.  It's not a legit reason. You know for me it'd be the same thing if my favorite athlete lied to me, wouldn't sign an autograph, made non stop excuses, blamed everything on his teammates only and told me either be a fan or fuck off. 14  Alot of the respect I had for that athlete would go out the window and you wouldn't see me purchasing things like jerseys or whatever with their name attatched to it.  Why should my attitude towards a musician be any different?  What would you like me to say? Gee I hope it sells a billion copies? No not really. That's not what I want.  I understand why people want to buy the album, and that's great but I'd honestly wish more people who were genuinley pissed off and felt disrespected as fans would have more backbone and not purchase the album or buy tickets to the shows rather than simply jump when Axl says jump.  Alot of people on these boards disagree with that opinion but too bad.  The world can always use good music though so  on that level I really hope it delivers. If it falls flat on it's face sales wise though I won't be too dissapointed.
   I won't pull punches or sit behind the veil of my monitor and try and act like I'm someone I'm not.  I'm not a troll, I'm not someone who swings from nuts either.  I've always commented on things the way I see them in my own opinion.  I say "negative" things about the band all the time but I also say "positive" things as well. At this point in time though alot of people seem more interested in pointing out the "negative" comments and who's saying them. Why is that? Honestly people seem threatend by the slightest "negative" comment these days. Almost like they're chinks in the Gn'R armour,  releasing some fucked up insecurities people may have about the band.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

For madagas too - just in case I was one of the others due to my earlier comments.

I think the RS review reasonably accurately reflected my thoughts on the album (for what my opinion is worth).  That said I also made the point that I wasn't surprised the review was positive.  The reason for that is two fold:

1. It's a good album from what I've heard so the review should be pretty decent.

2. Rolling Stone had to make a commercial decision regarding this.  If the album was pretty crappy I still think their review would have been pretty positive.  RS mag is a commercial business and it's all about increasing circulation of their mag which in turn means they can charge more for advertising revenue etc.  The GN'R brand still holds some type of enigma and is still a proven seller from what I can tell (even outside of the harccore fans).  If RS's first review of CD was scathing, I doubt that will bring them any favours from Axoff (intentional typo 16) and co.

I recall on MSL's blog at the time of the Skewerl leaks (before it was taken down) that he had been contacted from someone at RS magazine stating that Azoff had bascially threatened them that if they mentioned anything in the mag about the latest leaks etc then they would not get any interviews, advanced copy of the album etc etc.

Now think about it - interviews with band members (potentially even Axl for the first interview in years), that's a lot of dollars they would be pissing away for the sake of an honest review.  I don't blame them - they are running a business they have shareholders to answer to etc etc.  They make a commercial decision and play the game.

I also don't want the album to fail, that's why in another thread I was lamenting the fact that there has been didley squat promotion of the album in Oz.  17  I simply want it to get a fair run.

That said I agree with Bono - the fans have been shat on from a great height for quite some time - used and abused.  Karma can be a bitch when it comes around.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

i'm gonna be completely honest here... i absolutely LOVE  IT when an album i love gets a good review... i don't even care who it is....
i don't even pay attention to the source... it kinda makes me feel validated in a way...
Especially when it's rolling stone for some reason, even though they are record company nutswingers most of the time, and i don't really respect their opinion all that much... i find myself going "dude.. fucking ROLLING STONE gave it 4 stars!"
"you KNOW they don't fuck around".... it's like the name carries WEIGHT.
You think the members of Down gave a rats vagina what they thought about a hard rock record... until they gave Over The Under 4 stars? All of a sudden, the RS review is plastered across their myspace page and shit...
i'm not gonna lose sleep over bad reviews... the ones that piss me off are the ones that aren't even about the music.. the "where's slash, and 15 years, and howard hughes, and this and that and blahblahblah..." ones. OH.. and believe you me... there's gonna be a heap of 'em, so we may as well brace ourselves

nugdafied wrote:
faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

There is definitiely a significant portion of the fanbase who want the reviews to be bad and the album to fail......alot of them come through this board.

I get that sense too, but nobody seems be willing to admit to that.

Oh, I'll admit to that. Personally, I think Axl is a joke & his music sucks. Sorry, but I find the guy extremely lame these days(years) & the way CD is coming out does nothing to disprove this. He's obviously not into promotion because 1) He's not proud of the music. 2) The people in charge of this don't want him going public because they know there's an adverse reaction to his looks/personality & that won't help sales. 3) He certainly wasn't against talking about the UYI's, so why is he so silent now? Maybe he knows it would be lame to go public about how this record is about some chick that dumped him before most of you were born & Slash telling him to fuck off.

I mean, this is CD, it's(according to some here) the most anticipated album of alltime. Yet, there's no tour plans, no interviews, no nothing, except a deal with BestBuy to help make some more cash. What does that say?

I just like keeping up with all things GNR & the other subsections are fun to read & respond in. But, by no means do I think Axl Rose is cool, nor am I looking forward to owning a copy of CD. I'm hardly afraid to admit it.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i wonder if some of the promo is being held off until after the release. this album will sell big at first. i can understand saving some promo for when the initial hyp dies down and sales along with it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
nugdafied wrote:
faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

There is definitiely a significant portion of the fanbase who want the reviews to be bad and the album to fail......alot of them come through this board.

I get that sense too, but nobody seems be willing to admit to that.

Oh, I'll admit to that. Personally, I think Axl is a joke & his music sucks. Sorry, but I find the guy extremely lame these days(years) & the way CD is coming out does nothing to disprove this. He's obviously not into promotion because 1) He's not proud of the music. 2) The people in charge of this don't want him going public because they know there's an adverse reaction to his looks/personality & that won't help sales. 3) He certainly wasn't against talking about the UYI's, so why is he so silent now? Maybe he knows it would be lame to go public about how this record is about some chick that dumped him before most of you were born & Slash telling him to fuck off.

I mean, this is CD, it's(according to some here) the most anticipated album of alltime. Yet, there's no tour plans, no interviews, no nothing, except a deal with BestBuy to help make some more cash. What does that say?

I just like keeping up with all things GNR & the other subsections are fun to read & respond in. But, by no means do I think Axl Rose is cool, nor am I looking forward to owning a copy of CD. I'm hardly afraid to admit it.

I give you props for coming out and being straight about it. That takes guts.

I honestly don't know how you do it. No way under the sun would I hang out at a band's fan site that I had no interest in. That'd be like me hanging out at the Britney Spears site or the David Archuleta site. They  have off-topic sections too that are fun. I dont' get the point. But at least your man (or woman) enough to admit it.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Personally I don't hope this album tanks or sucks.  From what I've heard thus far with the leaks we had during the summer.  The album sounds good.  Nothing more but nothing less.  I'll wait to hear the album when it comes out before giving my final judgment on it.  Makes me laugh though when I see good reviews and everybody glorifies the writer that wrote the good review and if there is a bad review then they torch him.  I don't get that.  Music is subjective.  Some will like CD and some won't.  Some can accept Slash is gone and some can't.  I don't care if there is a good or bad review.  I'll judge the album by myself and so should anyone who likes GNR or should I say Axl.  I think it's great that the RS review was so pro-GNR and CD.  But if I read a bad review I won't discredit it because that person will be entitled to their opinion.  It's called freedom of expression.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Personally I don't hope this album tanks or sucks.  From what I've heard thus far with the leaks we had during the summer.  The album sounds good.  Nothing more but nothing less.  I'll wait to hear the album when it comes out before giving my final judgment on it.  Makes me laugh though when I see good reviews and everybody glorifies the writer that wrote the good review and if there is a bad review then they torch him.  I don't get that.  Music is subjective.  Some will like CD and some won't.  Some can accept Slash is gone and some can't.  I don't care if there is a good or bad review.  I'll judge the album by myself and so should anyone who likes GNR or should I say Axl.  I think it's great that the RS review was so pro-GNR and CD.  But if I read a bad review I won't discredit it because that person will be entitled to their opinion.  It's called freedom of expression.

I think people have expressed, we're all willing to accept critical/negative reviews, as long as they're not baseless.  If they give legitimate reasons for not liking the album, then okay.  But you're right, everything is subjective.  And one reviewers views probably will not be shared by all.  Again though, as long as there's no, it took 14 years for this?  GNR isn't the same without Slash.  Axl doesn't care about his fans.  Give me something original or at least something to think about, then I can respect it.

And props to nugdafied for coming forth, though obviously we don't see eye to eye.  Man, you sure didn't hold back at all.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I think people have expressed, we're all willing to accept critical/negative reviews, as long as they're not baseless.  If they give legitimate reasons for not liking the album, then okay.  But you're right, everything is subjective.  And one reviewers views probably will not be shared by all.  Again though, as long as there's no, it took 14 years for this?  GNR isn't the same without Slash.  Axl doesn't care about his fans.  Give me something original or at least something to think about, then I can respect it.

And props to nugdafied for coming forth, though obviously we don't see eye to eye.  Man, you sure didn't hold back at all.

Expect the it took 14 years comment alot!  And to be honnest.  From what I've heard this summer, CD is NOT an album that was worth 14 years of waiting.  That album should've been released at least 2 years ago and even before that.  But the wait aside, it should not interfere on wether you like the album or not.  Yes I think the wait was way too long.  But it will not influence what I think of the album and should not influence anyone.

Sky Dog wrote:

sweet...I have nothing to say. Bono, nice post. Nut cuttin' time comes soon. Axl will either be redeemed or damned from a commercial standpoint, and it is out of our control...the way it should be. I like the album and think it is a pretty solid record. However, I have no clue what the masses will do with it. I do know one thing, there are not many hard rock artists who could put out something this diverse.....a pretty eclectic record.

Board footer