You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: "Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? Does Anyone Care?"

Bono wrote:

Amazing post Sic. I agree with Gunslinger in that's it's one of the best posts I've ever seen on a  Gn'R forum. To all of you saying it's a "doom and gloom" post, get off it. Its' a 100% reality filled post. The arguement that the single is doing "well" is so weak. Gn'R fans are happy with a  song charting at 7th or 10th or whatever on rock charts only? It's not the attitude Gn'R fans used to have.  They should be disgusted with the process rather than trying to sugar coat a medicore debute for a single 14 years in waiting. Chinese Democracy doing "well" just doesn't cut it for this album. The hype the wait the anticipation and for what?  A single to chart 7th(or whatever it is). Doing well is a weak way of sheilding your eyes from the fact this album will not relaunch the Gn'R name into the stratosphere.  I think we have a fairly good idea how the album will do based on the single. The point Sic is making is Axl and co pissed away numerous oportunities to get their shit topgether at a  time when this album really could've caused some seriouse damage in the music world.  the album may go to number one but it won't stay there for long.  It seems like the album is coming out as an afterthought now. It'll come out, fade away and they'll get down to real buisness which is a  reunion. That's how it's playing out whether anyone likes it or not. The departures and silence speaks volumes.

In my opinion this album comes out, runs it's(short) course and a reunion explodes.  the dissapointing part for Gn'R fans in the CD era will be that a  reunion and a  new album with Slash involved will recieve much more attention and much more hype than CD ever could've recieved regardless of when it ever came out.  Why? because it's what the masses really care about.

Ona  side note I'm pretty excited to hear a  clean, album version of Prostitute. For some reason I've had it in my head all day.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Bono wrote:

Amazing post Sic. I agree with Gunslinger in that's it's one of the best posts I've ever seen on a  Gn'R forum. To all of you saying it's a "doom and gloom" post, get off it. Its' a 100% reality filled post. The arguement that the single is doing "well" is so weak. Gn'R fans are happy with a  song charting at 7th or 10th or whatever on rock charts only? It's not the attitude Gn'R fans used to have.

Guess what?  CD has charted higher on the rock charts than Sweet Child, Jungle, and Paradise City ever did

No offense but you've posted completely delusional theories in the past that ignored everything from common sense to the reality of the personalities involved

The single doing well isn't a "weak" argument.  It's actually a verifiable fact.  The only GnR singles in the past that have charted that high in the past are YCBM, Don't Cry and Civil War

So downplay all you want, bottom line is that yes, the single has done well, despite being one of the less commercially friendly tracks on the album.

Yes, people know the album is coming out. 

No, CD did not get delayed until Slash and Co. came and re-recorded all the tracks.

No, there is no reunion in sight.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Amazing post Sic. I agree with Gunslinger in that's it's one of the best posts I've ever seen on a  Gn'R forum. To all of you saying it's a "doom and gloom" post, get off it. Its' a 100% reality filled post. The arguement that the single is doing "well" is so weak. Gn'R fans are happy with a  song charting at 7th or 10th or whatever on rock charts only? It's not the attitude Gn'R fans used to have.  They should be disgusted with the process rather than trying to sugar coat a medicore debute for a single 14 years in waiting. Chinese Democracy doing "well" just doesn't cut it for this album. The hype the wait the anticipation and for what?  A single to chart 7th(or whatever it is). Doing well is a weak way of sheilding your eyes from the fact this album will not relaunch the Gn'R name into the stratosphere.  I think we have a fairly good idea how the album will do based on the single. The point Sic is making is Axl and co pissed away numerous oportunities to get their shit topgether at a  time when this album really could've caused some seriouse damage in the music world.  the album may go to number one but it won't stay there for long.  It seems like the album is coming out as an afterthought now. It'll come out, fade away and they'll get down to real buisness which is a  reunion. That's how it's playing out whether anyone likes it or not. The departures and silence speaks volumes.

In my opinion this album comes out, runs it's(short) course and a reunion explodes.  the dissapointing part for Gn'R fans in the CD era will be that a  reunion and a  new album with Slash involved will recieve much more attention and much more hype than CD ever could've recieved regardless of when it ever came out.  Why? because it's what the masses really care about.

Ona  side note I'm pretty excited to hear a  clean, album version of Prostitute. For some reason I've had it in my head all day.

What do you mean a "clear" version of Prostitute? The thing leaked months ago in excellent quality from the guy at Antiquiet.com.

As for your rant, I think "Better" is going to explode if they release it as a single. The reason they released CD first is because they knew it wasn't the best song on the album and would do "well" strictly based on hype alone. And by the way, its chart position is hurt by the fact that it was only on the radio up until a few days ago. No other GN'R single has ever ONLY been on the radio. These charts take into consideration SALES as well as spins on the radio. Well, now that CD was released for purchse, it is doing pretty darn well on iTunes.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Amazing post Sic. I agree with Gunslinger in that's it's one of the best posts I've ever seen on a  Gn'R forum. To all of you saying it's a "doom and gloom" post, get off it. Its' a 100% reality filled post. The arguement that the single is doing "well" is so weak. Gn'R fans are happy with a  song charting at 7th or 10th or whatever on rock charts only? It's not the attitude Gn'R fans used to have.

Guess what?  CD has charted higher on the rock charts than Sweet Child, Jungle, and Paradise City ever did

No offense but you've posted completely delusional theories in the past that ignored everything from common sense to the reality of the personalities involved

The single doing well isn't a "weak" argument.  It's actually a verifiable fact.  The only GnR singles in the past that have charted that high in the past are YCBM, Don't Cry and Civil War

So downplay all you want, bottom line is that yes, the single has done well, despite being one of the less commercially friendly tracks on the album.

No, CD did not get delayed until Slash and Co. came and re-recorded all the tracks.

WTF are you talking about? Sweet Child was #1, that's right #1, on the entire Billboard Hot 100, which is the ultimate chart of charts. It was the most popular song of 1988. Also, both Jungle and Paradise City reached the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. CD hasn't even cracked the top 100 so far. Then again, it was not released for purchase until a few days ago. The radio spins alone are not enough to gain huge popularity on the charts.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

tejastech08 wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:
Bono wrote:

WTF are you talking about? Sweet Child was #1, that's right #1, on the entire Billboard Hot 100, which is the ultimate chart of charts. It was the most popular song of 1988. Also, both Jungle and Paradise City reached the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. CD hasn't even cracked the top 100 so far. Then again, it was not released for purchase until a few days ago. The radio spins alone are not enough to gain huge popularity on the charts.

Billboard had different calculations back then.  Sweet Child hit higher on the pop charts but its peak on the rock charts was #7

Comparing CD to Sweet Child in a pop sense is flat out retarded.  But on the rock stations, bottom line, fact, CD is higher than Sweet Child ever made it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

Billboard had different calculations back then.  Sweet Child hit higher on the pop charts but its peak on the rock charts was #7

Comparing CD to Sweet Child in a pop sense is flat out retarded.  But on the rock stations, bottom line, fact, CD is higher than Sweet Child ever made it.

Sounds like they had a retarded way of calculating it. You don't sell 18 million copies as a hard rock artist WITHOUT being hugely popular with your target audience. Every single male in junior high, high school, and college bought that album because of WTTJ and PC. And they were likely blown away by album cuts like Nightrain, Brownstone, It's So Easy, etc. That was 20 years ago so it wouldn't be surprising if their charts did not accurately reflect how popular those songs were with the target audience.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

i wish i spent 3 hours on an overly negative, self assuring essay, awesome.
just some things for you to chew on

the marketing campaign is effective, grassroots word of mouth, why is it effective?

USA: #12 / #1
Canada: #2 / #1
Denmark: #11 / #2
Finland: #1 / #1
France: #13 / #1
Greece: #1 / #1
Norway: #1 / #1
Portugal: #1 / #1
Spain: #1 / #1
Sweden: #1 / #1
UK: #20 / #1
Netherlands: #5 / #1
Luxembourg: #1 / #1
Switzerland: #4 / #1

as well as being #1 of preorders chart

i pity you. what a weird fucking forum this is, fan forum? fuck no.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

i'll take solace in the fact that you miserable sods will remain miserable, no matter what happens, and your backwater, ridiculous and absurd, shut-off from reality, delusional posts, which, no matter how much are compliment by 10 or so forum members, will not make so much as a ripple on the landscape of this album. no matter how much you tell yourself that you're an intellectual, a fair thinking and well grounded human being who is taking a realistic approach to this saga ,you aren't. your perception is not reality, i am happy knowing that this ridiculous horseshit will be remain confined within this forum, nowhere else.

christ if the whole world was like this forum depression would be a worldwide epidemic. TALK ABOUT CONSUMED WITHIN THE SAGA.

the most pathetic thing about all this is you actually think you're right, laughable, if it wasn't so pathetic, it might be funny.

thank you and good day, i'll look forward to CD being a resounding success, if it isnt i'll be unhappy, unlike you people who will be happy if it fails, HOW FUCKING SAD.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

i'll take solace in the fact that you miserable sods will remain miserable, no ... nlike you people who will be happy if it fails, HOW FUCKING SAD.

Fuck off, Beta tongue

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Yeah, I am struck by how strange it is to read on a few forums how the marketing is awful, the cover will restrain sales, what a depressing time this is because there has been no official line-up announced for a 2009 tour, Axl doesn't come on the boards and chat with us, etc.  It's some sort of group phobia, or mental illness unique to the internet which has yet to be named.  Misery loves company, that is for sure (I am not throwing anyone under the bus, as most fans everywhere and on the boards are great--there is a very loud minority, though, who suffer from this ytbd disease).

When reality is, the song is a top five modern rock song, the album is the #1 pre-ordered album on ITUNES and at bestbuy, the single is the #1 rock single in the world, the album we've all been waiting for is coming out on vinyl and on cd in nine fucking days, the whole freaking world is talking about, and GNR has the top manager in the world who runs Ticketmaster, AEG, a division of UMG, Frontline, and is the most powerful man in music.  Oh, and did I forget, the music is brilliant.  Much to celebrate guy's and girls!

Board footer