You are not logged in. Please register or login.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Re: Izzy

Hey Axlin08, I agree completely with you about Izzy being more irreplaceable than Slash, and here's why

Izzy is an incredible songwriter.  He's a good guitarist, but a GREAT songwriter

Slash's tone is beautiful, and his feel and emotion are things that can't be taught.  But he's not a great or inspired songwriter.  He's the type of guy who is a monster if teamed up with great songwriters, but on his own is just an above average hard rock guitarist who can rip great solos when he feels like it

Bucket was more than capable of filling Slash's shoes.  But nobody ever replaced Izzy.  Seriously, listen to any Izzy Stradlin solo album.  Like A Dog sounds way more like AFD than anything that Slash has done since leaving Guns.  Slash wrote some great shit.  Coma, Locomotive are both in my top 5 GnR songs ever.  But guess what?  If Soothsayer had Axl singing over it, it would be right in the same neighborhood.  But to me, the musical sound of old GnR resides with Izzy, and there's no way you can convince me otherwise based upon solo records since that time

SHAQisonChiDem
 Rep: 1 

Axlin08 wrote:

Axl is irreplaceable. Slash is not.

Period.

Just look at the Bucket arguments people have. Why? Because for the first time since Izzy, GN'R has a guitarist, they simply cannot be replaced on any level. He's one of a kind. He brings a uniqueness to the material. Izzy was never replaced after '91. Bucket, thankfully his work is still on CD, was never replaced since 2004. And i'm not talking about Ron. He's talented as hell. But watch those 2001-02 shows with Bucket. Bucket carries Robin's ass on almost every show. Ron stood apart from Robin in 2006-07, but that Bucket contribution still felt missing.

If you were to have a lineup of...

GN'R
Axl
Bucket
Bumble
Izzy
Tommy
Brain
Dizzy
Chris

That'd probably be the most talent the GN'R name has ever seen.

Talent is great if we are talking about Dream Theater. SCOM.WTTJ,PC,and other classic GNR anthems were written by guys with less technical ability but at the same time they could create timeless songs.

Anyone wanna tell me why there is any discussion of Izzy returning?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08, Bucket is no more irreplaceable than Slash. There are many great guitarists out there, but there are few unique singers like Axl out there. That's the bottom line. The most important thing Izzy contributed was as a lyricist, not as a guitarist. Slash is great. Bucket is great. Ron is a nice guy but not that great of a guitarist. He can shred but beyond that I have not seen proof that he can come up with memorable, soulful solos like Slash or Bucket. Robin just flat out sucks.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And exactly what Shaq said, is the reason CD has some issues.

If Axl would've just let a raw band record the album - Axl, Bucket, Robin, Paul, Tommy, Brain, Dizzy & Chris... and just left that material OR when he re-recorded, had those same people involved, it would've came out more fluid to judge solos, technical ability, the layers of the album, etc.

But by having everyone, other than maybe Beta, on the album, it deluded the watering hole with too many people swimming in it.

I hope that new albums are on the way, AND they have solid contributors to them as a band effort. People bashed Oh My God for being Axl and a bunch of session musicians, and ironically, nearly 10 years later - that's exactly what haunted CD. The same exact thing.

I hope the next album has a straight lineup, whether a new variation, or a reunion.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Axlin08--

I can't help but think what would've happened if Axl had gone to that Buckethead concert two years earlier

Seriously, if Axl hit the studio in 1998 with Bucket, Paul Tobias, Pitman, and Dizzy we would've had an incredible album by 2000

I really think that Axl's 1999/2000 version of the album getting shot down caused him to second guess every move he made after that point

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Definitely. Axl should've just trust in Bucket & Mother Goose. Seriously. Those guys know what the fuck they are doing, he should've just let them go hog wild on instrumentals, Axl pinned lyrics and contributed some of his Freddie Mercury/Elton John-inspired ballads to it, and you would've had a legendary album in two years - tops.

SHAQisonChiDem
 Rep: 1 

Axlin08 wrote:

Definitely. Axl should've just trust in Bucket & Mother Goose. Seriously. Those guys know what the fuck they are doing, he should've just let them go hog wild on instrumentals, Axl pinned lyrics and contributed some of his Freddie Mercury/Elton John-inspired ballads to it, and you would've had a legendary album in two years - tops.

Apparently it isn't in him to let other people have full credit.It seems as though Axl has his hand in every facet of this album other than Sub-Bass.

What does any of this have to do with Izzy?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The Izzy talk was getting boring. Read back through the pages. It's got a 99% chance of being bullshit.

The Bullshit-O-Meter broke when the dude went all "I know a guy, who knows Izzy's housekeeper, who said he's rejoining his old band".

MyGNR deal with that kind of stuff daily.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axlin08, it's interesting what you said about Slash. In my view - and bear in mind, I love GN'R in all its incarnations - the general public percieves a band as having two key members. Usually they're the frontman and the lead guitarist (but not always - see Flea in RHCP, or Jimmy Chamberlin in the Pumpkins). Queen without Freddie Mercury isn't Queen; try and imagine the Stones with Mick or Keef missing. You could just about imagine three of the Beatles reuniting in the 70s under the name, as long as two of them were Lennon and McCartney.

For the general public, Guns N' Roses is Axl and That Bloke in the Top Hat. If Slash came back to the band - even if it was the exact same fucking band Axl's touring with at the moment - you can bet your ass that the tabloid press and your mate at the office watercooler would be calling it a reunion. Even though it'd be missing the real essential member of the original lineup, Izzy.

But then, rock trades in icons, and Izzy was always the quiet one. Slash is the sort of character you can recognise from his silhouette alone. Buckethead's another, and it's one of the reasons why there was such buzz around the band before that fucking disastrous, wheezy VMAs performance in 02. I'm not sure that Ron - who I dearly love in all other respects - quite measures up to those two in the iconic stakes.

Assuming Finck has buggered off - at the exact moment when TWAT and Better were poised to make him a genuine guitar hero - then Axl would do well to invite Buckethead back to the fold. I'd be inclined to say "invite Slash", but I don't think his ego would allow him to fit into the new three-guitar setup.

The killing irony for all those who keep wittering on about Slash is that if you put Axl and Slash together at any time from 1996 to now, I don't think you'd get a very good album out of it. Take the uninspired riffs Slash has been coming up with since It's 5 o'Clock Somewhere, and Axl, minus the songwriting of Tobias and Pitman, and you'd end up with a donkey of an album, a real dated clusterfuck.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

elevendayempire,

I think you're giving Finck way more credit on TWAT than he deserves. The real stars of that song are Bucket, Axl, and maybe Pitman.

Board footer