You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: Slash Speaks Out Against Proposition 8

NY Giants82 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Ugh...

And before anyone goes "Oh NYG82, he's a bigot!", I'm talking about my favorite guitarist speaking out on politically charged issues. I don't like hearing celebrities, period, getting involved in politics. But thats just me.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Ugh...

And before anyone goes "Oh NYG82, he's a bigot!", I'm talking about my favorite guitarist speaking out on politically charged issues. I don't like hearing celebrities, period, getting involved in politics. But thats just me.

It's not a political issue. Did you consider segregation a political issue? The history books will not be kind to the people who are turning this into a political issue when it's not.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ Yeah I'm with you NY Giants82, I dont' care about their political/societal points of view, but for my favourite guitarist to be doing such a cringeworthy amateurish thing I simply found lame.  Did they borrow Wayne and Garth's basement to make and broadcast this thing?

To use an Aussie band as an example - Midnight Oil.  They had some great tunes and many of the songs and lyrics were about important political & topical issues.  But when the music stopped unfortunately Peter Garrett's mouth didn't fucken stop.  In the end, even though I agreed with a lot of his stances on things, I just got sick and tired of bloody hearing about it.  Eventually he did the only thing he could - he went into politics - he is now the Federal Environmental Minister.

I guess what I am saying is that it's fine Slash did it, just please don't make it a habbit of continually sharing your policital views with me.  In addition, perhaps think of a more professional or better method of communicating your views too.  I was switching between laughing and hiding behind my lounge in shame watching that video. 16

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Ugh...

It's not a political issue. Did you consider segregation a political issue? The history books will not be kind to the people who are turning this into a political issue when it's not.

Teja - I don't know how it works in the States.  But in Oz these sorts of things usually are political.  In the past we have had one party for example that will be pro "same sex couples getting married", or "having their relatinship legally recognised for tax purposes, separation/property settlement purposes" etc etc. the other main party may be against this or certain pieces of legislation.  So it does become political in a sense.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Ugh...

It certainly is a political issue. You have some people who believe that anyone should be able to get married, and you have others who believe marriage is defined as a man and a woman.

I really dont want to get into a debate on politics on a GNR board, but segregation and gay marriage aren't even close to the same thing.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

It certainly is a political issue. You have some people who believe that anyone should be able to get married, and you have others who believe marriage is defined as a man and a woman.

I really dont want to get into a debate on politics on a GNR board, but segregation and gay marriage aren't even close to the same thing.

History will say otherwise. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Basic rights.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The people had their say. They voted against it. Like always, a liberal judge will overrule the voice of the people, forcing it once again to make its way on to the next election ballot. The people will speak again. In walks liberal judge.

Keep repeating.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Popular sovereignty can only extend so far, James. You cannot allow people to vote for or against the rights of a minority group. Tyranny of the majority is democratic, but also extremely dangerous and unhealthy. Equality of individual rights must have supremacy over democracy in a large republic.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

History will say otherwise. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Basic rights.

No one is saying that gay lifestyles should be outlawed. The issue is over the definition of "marriage". Most people arent opposed to civil unions.

Board footer