You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Just How Long has Paul Huge been around GnR?

Axl S wrote:

The song was played in 86 as I mentioned earlier. He's been around for a while.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Mikkamakka wrote:

This 'Axl's childhood friend' and 'Paul was around since the beginning' story is bullshit. Axl didn't even know his name when the UYIs came out, that's why he's called Huge instead of Tobias. Yeah, they met in their teens or something like that, but he wasn't around at all. Came back sometime in 1993-1994.

Not true at all.  He co-wrote Back Off Bitch and Shadow Of Your Love in the 80's, and he's thanked in the AFD liner notes

The Huge/Tobias thing has nothing to do with them not knowing his name.  A lot of guys in the music scene at that time were going by stage names, you don't have to look any further than William "Axl" Rose, Saul "Slash" Hudson or Jeffrey "Izzy Stradlin" Isbell

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Yup, that's what I thought. Mikka's theory was mighty thin

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

^ From around 1986/87 I believe smile

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

maybe huge is like a glam stage name of something...and tobias is his real name hmm

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

Mikka, Paul is credited for writing Back Off Bitch which was a demo from the appetite sessions. He was around in 87.....

BOB is an older song, I think it was written pre-GN'R, like anything Goes. I still doubt Paul'd have been around in the AFD days. They lived like a family and nobody knew him. That's why bringin him into the band was Axl's huge surprise for the others. (I doubt that asking West Arkeen to join would have caused such a hostility, because he was around and they knew him.) I think it's the same old, same old to legitimate the CD band like it'd have been originated in the AFD days. Just like saying that Dizzy's sorta part of the AFD line-up.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Paul played lead in the Lafayette band AXL in '76-79. Izzy was the drummer. In the early 80's, Ax and Izzy went to LA, which resulted with Hollywood Rose et al. That's when he hooked up with Chris Weber, who sort of took Paul's place as Ax's co-writer. I believe Back Off Bitch goes back to Ax's Indiana days.

Paul remained in Indiana, I reckon, but he kept in touch with them. Wasn't actively around that much in between '79-94.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

bucketfan wrote:

downliner, mate thanks for posting that video, that was fucking tight!  22

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
sic. wrote:

Paul played lead in the Lafayette band AXL in '76-79. Izzy was the drummer. In the early 80's, Ax and Izzy went to LA, which resulted with Hollywood Rose et al. That's when he hooked up with Chris Weber, who sort of took Paul's place as Ax's co-writer. I believe Back Off Bitch goes back to Ax's Indiana days.

Paul remained in Indiana, I reckon, but he kept in touch with them. Wasn't actively around that much in between '79-94.

Thanks for backing me with proofs. Some was new to me.

Sky Dog wrote:

Sounds good...I just thought if they wrote that one song together that he must have been around in some small capacity. I know he really had nothing to do with the creation of AFD and UYI. I wasn't arguing that he somehow was a part of the Gnr original band legacy.:peace:

Board footer