You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: 'Sorry' - Confessions of a Bi-Polar Disorder

sic. wrote:

I confess.

I caved in and downloaded the new tracks. While This I Love is a masterpiece and Scraped is a generally forgettable piece of filler, I think Sorry might have the most interesting lyrics of the lot. A lot of people have said the song described Ax's moribund relationship to Slash, but I'd like to take the opportunity to present with a different viewpoint. It's that ingenuity that separates men from the boys; some songs can truly be all things to all people, while every other viewpoint can be successfully backed without overruling the other.

I'd like to take the time to discuss Sorry as Ax's take on mood swings, the rushes of depression and elation. I'll refer to the 'soft voice' as the conscious mind, the narrator as he perceives himself and the outside world in moments of solace. On the other hand, the 'hard voice' represents the Demon in this breakdown; the evil-doer who reaches out from the rim of the unconsciousness, leading towards erratic behavior and feelings of worthlessness and isolation.

So, without further ado:

Narrator: You like to hurt me
You know that you do

Revealing the balance of terror, the Narrator begins by stating that the Demon acts out of sheer malice.

Demon: You like to think in some way
that it's me and not you

The Demon responds by saying the Narrator denies his true nature by extricating the Demon into a personality, a separate part of his psyche.

(You know it isn't not true)

An unrecognizable voice, coming from somewhere deep down, whispers to the Narrator, noting that the Demon is not in fact someone, who could take the blame for what has happened to the Narrator. Call it a soul, or the gut, if you may.

Narrator: You like to have me jump and be good
But I don't want to do it

The Narrator refuses to give in the overpowering Demon, refusing what he considers a loss of autonomy for someone else.

Demon: You don't know why I won't act the way you think I should

The Demon responds by saying that the Narrator fails to understand the Demon's ulterior motives, implying that the Narrators taunts are therefore based on false conclusions.

Narrator: You thought they would make me behave and submit
What were you thinking
cause I don't forget

The Narrator reveals some background of his internal struggle. 'Behave and submit' would refer to an imagined loss of integrity by giving up one's own principles to accommodate the wishes of others. This had led to the Demons attack against the Narrator (resulting as depression and anxiety), with consequences that pain the Narrator to this day.

He also implies that the Demon was wrong all the way by acting the way he did, as the Narrator believes he wouldn't had compromised himself by acting in league with such parties.

Demon: You don't know why I won't give in
to hell with the pressure, I'm not caving in

The Demon assures that he won't allow a peace of mind to the Narrator until his point gets across.

Narrator: You know that I got under your skin

To a degree, the Narrator understands why the Demon's upset; his past actions were indeed something that could've raised some doubt in his own mind as to whether he's doing what he wants or rather, what is expected from him.

Demon: You sold your soul but I won't let you win

The Demon speaks plainly towards his feelings regarding those actions; he believes the Narrator sold out, gave up on everything that made him genuine - which was a sound reason for the Demon to step up as a sort of all-powerful conscience. The Demon also hints that they are too far apart at the moment for the Narrator to be able to understand the Demons point.

Narrator: You talk too much, you say I do

The Narrator has grown tired to the voice inside his head, which blames him for selling out. Among other things, the Demon interestingly blames the Narrator for talking too much. But we'll get to that later.

Demon: Difference is nobody cares about you

The Demon lays down a trump card, raising the sensation of self-guilt. The Narrator must feel as if no-one out there truly cares for him anymore, as he tainted his image, and is now left with only the Demon to accompany him. The Demon has someone who cares for him, and that is the unfortunate Narrator.

Demon: You've got all the answers
You know everything
but nobody asked you
It's a mystery to me

The Demon now goes on to pick the Narrator further. He implies that as the Narrator made the decision to take the path that led to an 'integrity crisis', he was cock-sure about himself, while, in fact, wasn't ultimately the one in charge. The fact that the Narrator allowed all this to happen is what both puzzles and upsets the Demon.

Narrator/Demon: I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe
I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You don't know who you can trust now well you should be me(believe?)
You don't know who you can trust now well you should be me(believe?)

The first time, when the Narrator and the Demon actually merge into one entity, proving themselves to be the opposite sides of the same coin. Both pity the other for completely different reasons, while they remain stuck in the same situation. Both encourage the other to trust them, as both think they know what's best in the light of the recent events.

Narrator/Demon: You close your eyes
All well and good

Demon: I'll kick your ass
like I said that I would

In a rather powerful moment, the Demon demonstrates his force. As the Narrator is getting ready to lie down, his consciousness morphs into the Demon; the one, who thrives in dreams, in nightmares, in the desolate moments before falling asleep, when the mind can finally wander freely. The moment which every man faces every single night; that of utter and complete loneliness.

The Demon then launches a very vicious attack, which causes the Narrator to sleep uneasy, plagued by guilt-ridden thoughts and a sense of depression, all of which is carried beyond the veil of sleep.

Narrator: You tell them stories
they'd rather believe
use and confuse them, they're numb and naive
truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree
it's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me

The Narrator refers to the Demons earlier accusation that he (the Narrator) talks too much. The Narrator responds by saying that the blame on what is said out loud falls on the Demon, who makes the Narrator say things he himself wouldn't otherwise say, and. therefore, has taken control over the Narrator.

The truth about the Demon is what the Demon himself cannot comprehend: Why did the Narrator choose the path he did, why did he give the Demon the impression that he was giving up on everything that made him what he was in the first place?

Demon: Nobody owes you
Not one goddamn thing
No where to put your
Just shut up and sing......

The Demon finally seems to reach some mutual ground with the Narrator, as he now approaches with a provocative peace offering: There's no reason to be sorry for yourself, as you can only blame yourself for what'd happened. 'Shut up and sing' points quite plainly towards Ax himself, as the Narrator is urged to finally stop talking, both in his own words and those of the Demon.

Instead, the Demon reveals that deep down, he wants the Narrator to be a singer again, to be what he was in the past, before the supposed selling-out. Reclaiming that old spark is what'll make them both happy again, instead of wallowing in bitterness.

Narrator/Demon: I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe
I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You chose to hurt those that love you and won't set them free
Won't set them free....

The Narrator and the Demon now sing in unison, pointing their words towards those who are perceived as the other end of the misguided relationship. Not being set free is what has led to the conflict between the Narrator and the Demon in the first place. The venting and straight-talk on the Narrators feelings appears to form a bond between himself and the Demon, as they both now take on what could described as a 'mutual enemy'.

Narrator/Demon: IYou don't Need
Anyone to be sorry for you
You've got no heart
You can't see
All that you have done for me
I know the reasons
You tear me apart

The Narrator and the Demon acknowledge that the conflict has caused them to separate from each other. Their mutual hatred now binds them; the Narrator is now slowly coming together as a personality, as he claims that he 'knows the reasons' and that the other person, quite literally, 'tears him apart'.

Well, I guess you could say that it's still about Slash. 14

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Brilliant observation. Never thought about it that way.

Sic - the Fox Mulder of GN'R Evo.

Good job.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Sic, I am a writer.  Sometimes I look at my work and I am quite pleased.  Sometimes I look at my work and I feel nauseated.  Almost ALWAYS I look at your posts and feel envious. 

I really like the poetic duplicity angle going on between the subjects' conscious mind and the inner self that he tries to coexist with.  The suppression quits working and now has a (truth be told) voice.  We all have that beast lurking inside of us hiding in some dark corner and when it decides to come out and play it can often be one nightmare of a roller coaster.  Excellent post sic...as usual.

TitoDawg
 Rep: 0 

TitoDawg wrote:

I totally thought it was an internal voice from the first time I heard it.  It really speaks volumes to me.  It speaks to those with a self destructive side.  I can totally relate.  My demon lives in a bottle.  I swear I could have wrote this song.

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:

holy shit, i think we have a winner. reading this while listening to the song, the voice changes for each character. I'm just stunned. I think you're really Axl telling us this so we stop the "its about slash" trail we're on

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I've been thinking the song is directed at alot of people throughout. At points it sounds like a direct assault on Slash and at others it sounds like he's hitting the media with it. Somtimes he sounds like he's talking about the fans.  Really it sounds like who he's directing it changes with just about every line though the chouruse sounds like it fits most with the fans it could be about all three.

It's an intersting theory you bring up Sic but I don't agree with it. I think the song is just about how Axl is gonna do things his way and alot of people don't like it and have talked alot and said alot and this is Axl's response.  He's sorry for all of us but feels he's done right by himself.

the major flaw in my theory is that Axl would have to give a shit about his fans and I dont' think he cares enough one way or another to write about us.

Whoever it's about it's fucking amazing. best new song I've heard ina  LONG time. I love it.

On a  side note the lyric "no where to put your shut up and sing" is wrong. he actually says "You know where to put your shut up and sing" Sounds to me like he's telling someone to shove it up their ass.  Fuck. I might have to doa  lyric by lyric analysis too:haha:

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

If anything is about his mental state its Scraped. One minute he feels unstoppable the next he is down and out.

Great post though Sic.. sick son of a bitch. 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Sic, holy fuck, on the way home I realised to this has nothing to do with Slash, and I too said it must be bi polar because I began thinking how weird that both Axl and Weiland are both Bi-Polar.  This is the best song on the album, bar none.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

Is there a cliffnotes version of the op?:haha:

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Nice work sic.

But I gotta say, you're out of your tree on this one 16

I like the theory, but I don't see any real correspondence with the lyrics. Scraped and IRS are better examples.

Well, I guess you could say that it's still about Slash.

Yeah, I think I'll leave it at that. 21

Board footer