You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Re: U2

Horrific wrote:

I recieved an email from ilike.com informing me of this:

I'm writing to tell you about an amazing video clip that U2 has just posted on iLike - it means a lot to me and I think it's a little bit of rock'n'roll history.

Today, U2 used iLike to post a personal message from Bono, singing - and talking us through - "Wave of Sorrow." It's a track that U2 demoed during sessions for The Joshua Tree in 1987. Just recently Bono laid down vocals for the song and it will be released for the first time next week on the remastered release of The Joshua Tree. As Bono plays us the track, he also tells the powerful story of the song. I found it quite moving!

Watch the clip of Bono singing "Wave of Sorrow":http://www.ilike.com/U2

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

U2 is one of the best bands in history. Probably the only band who would even have a fighting chance at blowing old GNR off the stage. No band has ever been able to reinvent themselves and stay relevant throughout their career like U2 has. Grunge didn't even phase this band. No other movement did either.

While always a fan, I had stopped paying attention to them for a few years. I was shocked when that Vertigo craze hit. That song was everywhere. Just when you think they cant top themselves, they do.

Their next album is one of my most anticipated releases of 2008.

While I rarely listen to it, Achtung Baby is one of the most relevant records in history. Not just the quality and departure for the band, but it was a blueprint on how to adjust to the changing times. Alot of bands ignored the blueprint and faded into obscurity while U2 continues kicking ass even to this day.

luckylittlelady
 Rep: 20 

Bono and The Edge of rock superstars U2 delighted fans when they made a surprise appearance at a charity gig.

The Irish pair played an unannounced four-song set, before just 250 people, for Mencap's Little Noise Sessions at the Union Chapel, in north London.

Referring to their bandmates, Bono joked: "Don't tell Larry (Mullen) and Adam (Clayton) we've done this."

BBC Radio 1 DJ Jo Whiley, the event's curator, said the multi-million-selling duo "were actually nervous beforehand".

Whiley, who has helped curate a number of shows to raise funds for Mencap added: "Seeing them in a situation like this, in a tiny chapel, makes people realise just how great they are - worthy of all the praise they get."

Joshua Tree

The crowd were told about some "very special guests" by organisers, but had no idea who it would be until they walked out on stage.

"The singer, Paul, is a shy guy, so please be gentle with him," Whiley told the crowd, before Bono and The Edge - real names Paul Hewson and Dave Evans - appeared.

They opened their set with Stay, moving on to Desire and Angel Of Harlem.

Their closing track was a first-time performance for the song Wave Of Sorrow - a track originally written for their 1987 album Joshua Tree.

Both men left the stage to a standing ovation.

"After they came off stage, Bono was asking me if they'd been OK and they were also wondering whether the 'new' song had gone down well," Whiley said.

The pair acted as the first warm-up act for Biffy Clyro.

Rumours

Fan Simon Dowling, 20, from Newcastle, said: "I was here for Biffy Clyro. We turned up at 5 o'clock outside and got rumours it was Bono and the Edge and we were like, 'that can't be true'.

"I've used all the battery on my phone taking pictures of them."

Biffy Clyro singer Simon Neil said he had found out only on Friday morning that Bono and The Edge were to perform.

"We got to meet them earlier and they were very kind. They actually apologised to us for jumping on our show which obviously, you know, is incredibly polite," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7110560.stm

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

U2009: 2009 will be U2's Year

From U2.com, 3rd September 2008.

'We've hit a rich songwriting vein and we don't want to stop.' Bono has been talking to U2.Com about how the songs are shaping up for the new record and plans for 2009 to be their year.

'˜This is our chance for us to defy gravity once again, '˜ explains Bono, calling in from a break in recording sessions in the south of France. '˜ We have what it takes, we have the songs, new rhythms and a guitar player who is not ready to re-enter earth's atmosphere until he's taken a slice of the moon!
'It's been fun, it's been maddening... there have been injuries and recoveries, no babies born that I know of, but this one is nearly ready for the new year of 2009.'

The band have been writing and recording the follow-up to '˜How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' since last year, and the feeling is that they've hit a creative groove so there are no plans to stop. Everyone, he says, is excited about where the recording is taking them.

'˜When we set out on this record it was Larry who came up with the plan not to have a plan. He put up this idea that wouldn't it be great just to make music for its own sake, not for the purpose of a live show or on album but just to see what we're capable of'¦'

It's an idea that's paid off. Following sessions in Morocco, in Dublin and through the summer in France, the band have written '˜fifty or sixty' tracks. And counting.

'˜We've hit a rich songwriting vein,' he explains. '˜It gets a bit dark down here but looks like we've found diamonds not coal. I thought a while back we might have the album wrapped by now, but why come up above ground now if there's more priceless stuff to be found?

For now, they're keeping a promise they made to themselves when they started writing: '˜We said to each other that if we got to the great place then we wouldn't stop'¦'

So the writing and recording continues and while they now know what shape most of the album will take, they're not leaving the studio just yet.

'˜We know we have to emerge soon but we also know that people don't want another U2 album unless it is our best ever album. It has to be our most innovative, our most challenging '¦ or what's the point ?'

They have no doubts that it will be as important a release for U2 as any. '˜It's a brand new chapter for us, and everyone we've played the tracks to has said that musically it feels like another departure.

'˜The last two records were very personal, with a kind of three piece at their heart, the primary colours of rock - bass, guitars and drum. But what we're about now is of the same order as the transition that took us from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby.'

He also mentions that the recording in Morocco was the first time the band have worked in a studio open to the sky: '˜On that track you can hear the sound of a swallows nest close to the building - it's beautiful.'

Longtime collaborators Danny Lanois and Brian Eno have joined the band at different times, and, more recently, Steve Lillywhite - usually a tell-tale sign that a record is nearly done. '˜Steve has that ear for a top line melody and a good hook.'

But while Bono is itching to get the music out he says it's going to be early 2009 when we first get to hear the songs.

'˜I'm always the one who underestimates how easy it is to simply 'put out the songs now', if it was just up to me they'd be out already! But early next year people will be able to start hearing what we've been doing. We want 2009 to be our year, so we're going to start making an impression very early on '¦'

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. My anticipation for this album just went through the roof.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I will get this, and if I like it I will check out the rest.  I don't know why but that is just the best way for me to get into bands.

Board footer