You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: New York yawns at Chinese Democracy

James wrote:

Go to:

http://load.imageshack.us/

After you upload it, it will give you a link to the image.

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:

Records sell more in the South that anywhere else there was a big display where I am to and they said it was selling very well. But most music is sold in the South East so who would have thought it figures. I do not think they (ax and Co.) are all that interested in this disk, think it was just money talking that got this CD walking..

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

img0050ug5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Forgive the fact that its a crappy iphone pic. But that was the top of it, and then all four sides had the cds on it. I'd say it was about 5 feet tall, I'm 5'6", so.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

There is a pretty cool GNR display in all the stores, but what shocks me is how bad at retail displays Best Buy is. I visited five of the Best Buy's in my metro area today.  One of them, had the display directly to the right of the store entrance (it was a one-sided display), with the back to the door where no one could see it.  The second store, actually had a sign out front, but the sign was set-up sideways, not facing forward so people could see it as they walked in.  Nonetheless, the store had a nice four sided GNR display visible, with the vinyl on top when one walked in the doors.  They were re-stocking it when I visited, so they had sold copies of it.   Saw four other people in the store buying it.  Next store, had the same sign out front, sideways again so no one would see it (what is the purpose of a sign, if it is set-up incorrectly?)--they had two displays right up front, and also copies stacked on top of Guitar Hero boxes--they were moving CD's, as people were picking them up.  Fourth store, had the sign out front, had three big four sided displays, and they were all picked thin.  I asked the worker how it was moving, and he said they had to fill up the station I was at twice "today"--this was 2 p.m. this afternoon.  There was also people walking around with the CD I saw.

With all that said, UMG only shipped Best Buy 700K in the U.S.  So, anything exceeding 500K this week with downloads and pre-orders, is solid.  Secondly, Sunday and Monday, prior to Thanksgiving are two slow shopping days.  Tomorrow, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are going to be big shopping days!  I would imagine, Friday is going to be Best Buy's busiest day of the year, but they are going to be very busy during the week leading right up to Christmas with last minute shoppers.  Shoot, I have stood in line at Best Buy the day prior to X-mas Eve for twenty or thirty minutes before.  All of this fussing is premature, and is due to outlandish expectations.  Since the advent of file sharing, pushing over 1.5 million annually is tough to do.  Moreover, since when did album sales equal great music?

Jimmy Iovine, though, seems very confident.  I am quite sure, they are going to push This I Love (brilliant song) to adult contemporary at some point, and it is going to pull in a new crowd of buyers, and give this another boost.  I would imagine, that if they have surpassed 1 million units in the U.S. by Dec. 31st, UMG will be smiling.  I do think, worldwide, they are going to move over 5 million units by the end of the year, so sales are not the concern some here make it out to be.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

anybody got a pick the stickers on the cellophane? the albums dont have that up here in canada

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

They only shipped 700K in the states? I don't think GNR will have any shot at Kayne "Elvis" West now. I could see best case for Kayne would be 700K.

But I went early and I saw a few people looking/buying it. They were setting up the display had it in front of all the music aisles so people saw it when they walked up.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

anybody got a pick the stickers on the cellophane? the albums dont have that up here in canada

Here ya go:

photo4jb5.jpg

photo5za2.jpg

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

thanks tejastech! i was hoping for somethign a bit more exciting....remember the one that was on UYI's in '91? that was funny stuff...though by todays standards the lyrics on the UYI's are pretty tame

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

kbrs4w.jpg

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

thanks tejastech! i was hoping for somethign a bit more exciting....remember the one that was on UYI's in '91? that was funny stuff...though by todays standards the lyrics on the UYI's are pretty tame

The UYI's are worthy of the P.A. label. Chinese Democracy is not. There's one f-bomb on the entire album.

Board footer