You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: so, does CD stand up as a Guns N' Roses album?

Smoking Guns wrote:

Like I said, put on Live Era, I have new respect for that band and what they did.  Especially Slash and Duff.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Wow, it's amazing to see how many people think, that despite all it's flaws, Chinese Democracy stands up as a Guns N' Roses album.

Me, I'm still on the fence about it.

I think I'm most comfortable as it being an Axl solo album. Guns N' Roses albums prior to this are all pretty fucking flawless to me, even TSI.

But CD just has too many "what the fuck?!" moments going on for me to consider it up there with the rest.

I agree with you as to me it's an Axl Rose solo album and not a GNR record.  It has the name GNR but to me it doesn't sound like GNR other than Axl's voice, the music is different than GNR and it doesn't feel like GNR.  And it's not because it has too many what the fuck.  It just doesn't sound or has the feel of other GNR records.

I've got a news bulletin for you.  Lies was far different than AFD.  UYI were far different than Lies.  TSI was vastly different than UYI.  And guess what, CD is vastly different than them all.  It's called progression.  It's been going on all along, it's nothing new.  Be honest and say you don't like it because it doesn't have Slash, that's basically what it comes down to.  You like Slash's sound better than the guitarists on this record, which is fine.  But let's not try to pretend that all previous GNR records sounded exactly the same because that's far from the truth.  Note Matt Sorum mentioning the orchestra's when he joined what he thought was a f'ing kick ass Rock n' Roll band.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Its a good record and I pretty much enjoy it all. I know GNR have diversified with each record and I always found that brilliant and stimulating.
But I do miss the old GN'R sound. I mean the old albums sound like a band playing as a group and it has a warmth and attraction.
This album is lacking that, its relied far too heavily in building songs piece by piece and assembling them later on at a computer. By doing so lost something natural, an organic vibe, that a computer program cant immitate and the old albums simply oozed.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

^ totally what he said...

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Wow, it's amazing to see how many people think, that despite all it's flaws, Chinese Democracy stands up as a Guns N' Roses album.

Me, I'm still on the fence about it.

I think I'm most comfortable as it being an Axl solo album. Guns N' Roses albums prior to this are all pretty fucking flawless to me, even TSI.

But CD just has too many "what the fuck?!" moments going on for me to consider it up there with the rest.

I agree with you as to me it's an Axl Rose solo album and not a GNR record.  It has the name GNR but to me it doesn't sound like GNR other than Axl's voice, the music is different than GNR and it doesn't feel like GNR.  And it's not because it has too many what the fuck.  It just doesn't sound or has the feel of other GNR records.

I've got a news bulletin for you.  Lies was far different than AFD.  UYI were far different than Lies.  TSI was vastly different than UYI.  And guess what, CD is vastly different than them all.  It's called progression.  It's been going on all along, it's nothing new.  Be honest and say you don't like it because it doesn't have Slash, that's basically what it comes down to.  You like Slash's sound better than the guitarists on this record, which is fine.  But let's not try to pretend that all previous GNR records sounded exactly the same because that's far from the truth.  Note Matt Sorum mentioning the orchestra's when he joined what he thought was a f'ing kick ass Rock n' Roll band.

Man are we defensive or what!?  First of all I never said I didn't like CD, you just assumed I didn't.  I liked the album.  Gave it a 7 out of ten and would've given it an 8 or even a nine hadn't been for Finck's destroying CITR.  Yes GNR evolved as a band on each album but you could feel it was a GNR record and CD doesn't have that feel.  And no I don't want Slash on CD.  Only song he could've improved is CITR but Axl had the perfect guitarist for that song already in Brian May.  So insinuating that I don't like CD cause Slash ain't in it man that's weak.  I respect your opinions, just respect mine.  To me CD is a solo record, cause it represents Axl's vision in music.  I ain't saying it's bad.

I definitely think this is stands on it's own as a GNR album.   I definitely agree this is the followup to UYI, as Axl wanted to go in many different directions.    While I'll agree it doesn't have the anthems of the past but we all know those cannot be duplicated and I think if GNR was still together, they couldn't even top them.

Saudade
 Rep: 0 

Saudade wrote:

Only AFD is better. Just a little bit better. Both Illusions have too much filler. CD doesn't have that, in my opinion.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

^ wow.. I`d better go back to the store and get the right cd this time

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
Saudade wrote:

Only AFD is better. Just a little bit better. Both Illusions have too much filler. CD doesn't have that, in my opinion.

I agree in that I think its the best GNR cd besides AFD. It doesnt touch it. But I love the Illusions too.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i agree with everything dtj said
my spin is that this is a very special album with so many influences and contributions. it's diversity is unparalleled by and other gnr album.

Board footer