You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: AXL goes AWOL

Neemo wrote:

this looks like nothing more than Tabloid material but i figured i'd post it anyway...from the sun in the UK

RECORD label bosses are fuming after GUNS N’ ROSES frontman AXL ROSE went missing for two months – costing the band a No1 album.
After spending 15 years and £15million recording their big comeback Chinese Democracy, only top spot was good enough.

But they lost out to THE KILLERS’ Day & Age in Sunday’s UK album chart rundown — with BRANDON FLOWERS’ group notching up sales of 200,000 during the week — 80,000 more than Guns N’ Roses.

Bosses at label Geffen are blaming unpredictable Axl for the disappointing sales after he went AWOL for two months before the release date.

Despite all the effort put into one of the most extravagant rock albums of all time, staff could not contact Axl to get him to promote his rock epic.

In fact, they failed to make contact with him from the day he delivered the final cut.

Chinese Democracy’s first week US sales are between 300,000 and 500,000. Yet their 1987 debut album Appetite For Destruction went on to sell a staggering 28million, so they have a long way to go with their new effort.

Genius

An insider said: “Everyone knows Axl is a bit of a maverick genius and won’t do anything he doesn’t want to do.

“The label is really glad to have him back. But it is frustrating because the album would have had a much better chance of going to No1 if he had only been prepared to show his face.

“People have been trying to contact him for two months and he’s been completely AWOL.

“You would have thought after spending 15 years on an album you might do a few weeks promotion.”

Better news for the label’s bean counters is the elusive Axl is rumoured to be trying to get the band’s first line-up back together.

Guitarist IZZY STRADLIN has said he is keen to see the original members back together and axe legend SLASH’s involvement in his current band VELVET REVOLVER looks shaky after they were dropped by their label.

If Axl has been spending the last two months of his time reuniting the original members for a world tour, I think Geffen might just forgive him.

As long as they don’t have to wait another 15 years.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh … 993450.ece

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

wow. not surprised about his dissapeering act thats for sure. reunion would be nice and probably would give him much more acceptance but like i said in the other thread, what a waste. all that time only to release a new album and not promote or tour it ? get back with the old guys and tour but not really be able to play any of the new shit ? very strange and awkward. guess we'll have to see how this pans out. i haven't got a clue.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Well, it's the Sun. Be wary.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

At this point, the only forgiveness plate of turkey & dressing Axl can deliver is - Slash, Duff & Izzy's return.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I doubt Geffen is all worked up because No. 1 in Britain was their goal.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The Sun..

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I really wonder if Axl wasn't completely happy with Chinese Democracy. Sure he had talented musicians to work with but I wonder if they were ever truely able to "get" what he was aiming for. Maybe Axl doesn't want to promote CD cause maybe it's not what he wanted to come out? Just a theory.  Slash was always so good at taping into what Axl was feeling and bringing it to life via the guitar. Maybe as good as Bucket and the others are they weren't able to get to where Axl wanted. Not due to a lack of talent but maybe a lack of chemsitry. I don;t know. Maybe there's truth to this. An Axl/Izzy songwriting duo is classic, Slash having his finger prints and improve on the songs has shown to be classic. Maybe the album came out with a "Just put it out so it can be done with" attitude. Maybe.  If Axl is as smart as people always say he is maybe he just relaized this things gotta come out now so that everyone involved can just move on. Wether he was satisfied with it or not maybe that's what's going on. The project stalled and now he can start fresh with whoever he wants.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Well, it's the Sun. Be wary.

polluxlm wrote:

The Sun..

haha well i posted a disclaimer before i posted the article 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What does Axl want? The White Album? Zeppelin II? Cosmo's Factory? Hotel California?

WHAT?!?!

Axl's biggest problem over the years is he forces it too much, and doesn't let it flow naturally.

If he's not happy with CD, and wasn't happy with UYI, and wanted to bury AFD... he'll never be happy.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

It is odd that there has been no promo. Naysayers can argue all they want but it is a FACT that the lack of promo hurt the initial sales...no, it wasn't the music.  You have to HEAR the music for that to be the case and with no promo that isn't the reality.

Bono wrote:

I really wonder if Axl wasn't completely happy with Chinese Democracy. Sure he had talented musicians to work with but I wonder if they were ever truely able to "get" what he was aiming for.

Even though I DO believe the album will do well (I think we will see an unusual drop and rise situation with this album ending with decent sales) I think this idea holds weight Bono.

Board footer