You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Re: AXL goes AWOL

Acquiesce wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl needs to crawl back.

Do you think he sees it that way? And if he sees that people see it that way, he's gonna turn away. Isn't that the Axl way?

No, I don't think Axl sees it that way.

But isn't Axl the king of being unpredicatable?

Wouldn't the predicatable move be to continue to hate on the old band, and refuse to reunite, so the unpredictable move would be to reunite?

G n' F'n' R's 2009! 2122:laugh::butt:

I don't know. Axl's become quite predictable over the years.

As for the article I completely buy that he has been AWOL, but I am with bigbri. Axl's ego is the insurmountable roadblock to a reunion.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
Bono wrote:

I really wonder if Axl wasn't completely happy with Chinese Democracy. Sure he had talented musicians to work with but I wonder if they were ever truely able to "get" what he was aiming for. Maybe Axl doesn't want to promote CD cause maybe it's not what he wanted to come out? Just a theory.  Slash was always so good at taping into what Axl was feeling and bringing it to life via the guitar. Maybe as good as Bucket and the others are they weren't able to get to where Axl wanted. Not due to a lack of talent but maybe a lack of chemsitry. I don;t know. Maybe there's truth to this. An Axl/Izzy songwriting duo is classic, Slash having his finger prints and improve on the songs has shown to be classic. Maybe the album came out with a "Just put it out so it can be done with" attitude. Maybe.  If Axl is as smart as people always say he is maybe he just relaized this things gotta come out now so that everyone involved can just move on. Wether he was satisfied with it or not maybe that's what's going on. The project stalled and now he can start fresh with whoever he wants.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. No matter how talented of hired hands Axl brought in, no one would ever be able to achieve the vision he saw in his head. Hell, Brian Fucking May didn't even make the final cut!

killingvector wrote:

The reunion footnote is quite a howler. I'm sure Axl has begun reaching out to the old band just as his album lands.

If the reunion comes to pass, and many are continuing to predict, then it's Chinese Democracy that's the footnote. Again IF the reunion happens next year, that proves that it's been in the works since Azoff came aboard and since VR dissolved. CD had to be released to put an end to this chapter so that the reunion could happen.

And that's a shame if it does, because I really fucking love this album, and it will never get the recognition it deserves. And if the reunion happens, then we'll probably never see CD volume 2 & 3.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

If the reunion comes to pass, and many are continuing to predict, then it's Chinese Democracy that's the footnote. Again IF the reunion happens next year, that proves that it's been in the works since Azoff came aboard and since VR dissolved. CD had to be released to put an end to this chapter so that the reunion could happen.

That is definitely one of the conspiracy theories du jour; namely, Azoff's role as the label plant in all these negotiations.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
huntermc wrote:
Bono wrote:

I really wonder if Axl wasn't completely happy with Chinese Democracy. Sure he had talented musicians to work with but I wonder if they were ever truely able to "get" what he was aiming for. Maybe Axl doesn't want to promote CD cause maybe it's not what he wanted to come out? Just a theory.  Slash was always so good at taping into what Axl was feeling and bringing it to life via the guitar. Maybe as good as Bucket and the others are they weren't able to get to where Axl wanted. Not due to a lack of talent but maybe a lack of chemsitry. I don;t know. Maybe there's truth to this. An Axl/Izzy songwriting duo is classic, Slash having his finger prints and improve on the songs has shown to be classic. Maybe the album came out with a "Just put it out so it can be done with" attitude. Maybe.  If Axl is as smart as people always say he is maybe he just relaized this things gotta come out now so that everyone involved can just move on. Wether he was satisfied with it or not maybe that's what's going on. The project stalled and now he can start fresh with whoever he wants.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. No matter how talented of hired hands Axl brought in, no one would ever be able to achieve the vision he saw in his head. Hell, Brian Fucking May didn't even make the final cut!

killingvector wrote:

The reunion footnote is quite a howler. I'm sure Axl has begun reaching out to the old band just as his album lands.

And that's a shame if it does, because I really fucking love this album, and it will never get the recognition it deserves. And if the reunion happens, then we'll probably never see CD volume 2 & 3.

A few points.

1) CD began to be a footnote with the failed comeback in 2002. An album that at one time was respected and mythical in stature, became a punchline from the media, down to music buyers, down to even the hardcore fan.

2) Azoff wouldn't be involved, if there wasn't a chance for the reunion. I try to not "over say" that, because it can piss some people off, but I truely believe it. Irving Azoff is not here for #2 behind Kayne West, and half-full arenas. He's here for a conquest, just like before. GN'R will be the "3rd notch" on his belt-of-'never will happen'. Only he could bring these egos together, on a big scale, and possibly this had been in the works for the last couple of years (Weiland), and Axl was waiting for VR to run it's course, then push the button. Thus the silence.

3) Whether we see CD II & III will depend on marketability, what exactly the album contracts were for (one album or more), and how much ownership Axl has over the CD material. Alot of the material might be reworked if the old band 'truely' is back. The left over stuff could possibly be released as Axl Rose solo material. The other option could be just putting it to the side, and releasing a box set down the road, something like "GUNS N' ROSES - Chinese Democracy - The Lost Sessions - 1997-2008" as a big multi-disc box set. It'd probably sell more that way, but fans would have to wait for it to happen. It depends on what is required of Axl to deliver to UMG.

In closing, new band fans also don't need to sweat this theory. Who says it'll last forever? Will they find a way to get along, ala Aerosmith? Or will they pull a Motley Crue, the lineup lasts for about a year or two, then gradually people fade out, suddenly Izzy's gone, then Slash, but Duff is still there, those kind of weird scenarios could always play out.

Personally i'd reunite on a Genesis-platform. Do just a few shows, in major cities on each contienent. This keeps hype high, touring stress low, costs relatively low, plenty of time for solo work, or even new studio work, and for each year, you do 4-6 new shows on each continent, release live DVD's & live CD's of select performances...

It allows them to come back on big, but limited scale, in order to keep demand high, but also doesn't scare Axl & Izzy into long-term commitments. It also would allow them to do new studio material (if that's what they want to do), without having to majorly support it, and of course bringing Slash back into the fold, would be bringing someone back into the fold that's happy to be the face of the band.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

The reunion theories remind me a lot of the KISS reunion in 1996 or so. For the non KISS fans out there, the sans-makeup lineup had a solid album with Revenge in 1992 and had recorded an equally strong follow up a few years later with Carnival of Souls. But before that was released, a few impromptu reunions with Ace and Peter at some Kiss conventions evolved into the unexpectedly successful KISS Unplugged. After that, a full makeup reunion with the original lineup was inevitable, but what to do with the already recorded Carnival album? Around 1997, the songs were leaked on the internet (much like Chinese Democracy) forcing the band to do a half-assed release they dubbed "Carnival of Souls - The Final Sessions" for which they did virtually no promotion. After that, they released a much-hyped reunion album, Psycho Circus (complete with 3-D music video, Todd McFarlane comic book, and action figures) which proceeded to suck balls.

It kinda worries me that Chinese Democracy could end up being much like Carnival - a great album that wound up as little more than an afterthought forgotten in the reunion hype. And even if they did try to record Appetite Part II with Duff, Izzy, and Slash back in tow, it would end up being a steaming pile of shit like Psycho Circus.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl needs to crawl back.

Do you think he sees it that way? And if he sees that people see it that way, he's gonna turn away. Isn't that the Axl way?

I don't know what Axl's way is, but the hangers-on around him will do everything against a reunion.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Maybe Axl is retiring. Maybe he released this just so we'd stop waiting and bugging him, and to end the bad press about it and now he just wants to live his life and is done with the music industry. 

hope not. But it's possible.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Poor baby..

You people are sometimes heartless aren't you ?

Can't you imagine two seconds he just did a disappearing act because he was either affraid or just fed up with it all ?

I can, because i do this too regularly.

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

what ever happens happens, axl not talking, no surprise, i love the album thats enough for me. he is just going to get asked the same bloody questions. he does not need to justify why it took so long or anything like that.  hes delivered the album people should be greatfull it got released at all.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I pondered him "retiring" because Prostitute sums up a lot of shit and he does say "up and away is what I've got to do".

Board footer