You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: None of this feels right...

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The reason the entire online fan base is "underwhelmed" is because CD turned out to be a "leaks album" with 3 bonus tracks. Its hard for hard cores to get excited and analyze tracks they've heard thousands of times already.

If that wasn't enough, the icing on the cake was how the whole thing was handled. Amateurish liner notes, Axl in hiding, the lukewarm reaction to the album, chart position, Dr Pepper fiasco, and last but certainly not least, the album wasn't as good as most had envisioned.

When you take all these ingredients and mix them together, the end result is a very jaded fan base biting its fingernails.

I actually never had an issue with the fact it was leaks + 3. We knew for years that for the most part, you could be guaranteed songs like CD, Maddy, Street, IRS & Riad were going to be on the album, and of course later Better & TWAT. That's half the album right there.

So that was not a disappointment imo. It'd been more of a disappointment, to get the first album, full of unheard material, then get the second album (with the 14 tracks on CD). You'd be so far removed from that live material, it'd leave you with a reaction of - WTF?

I think James is correct. It's not that the fan base is necessarily disappointed that the album contained 11 songs we've already been familiar with because as you said we already expected many of these songs to be on the album. It's just that being familiar with these songs tempers the excitement because we've already spent that initial excitement of hearing these for the first time long ago. I think the attitude of the fan base would be a bit different if these songs were brand new to us because we'd be busy dissecting these songs to focus solely on Axl's silence. We've already done that so Axl's silence is all we have to focus on. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault or anything. It's just the reality of the situation.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I also think CD is a very good solid album. But as James said the release and the amateurish way it has been handled really has taken a bit of gloss off the whole thing.

It's just disappointing that it wasn't given a chance with a tiny bit of promo, some information about who is in the band, will there be a tour etc etc (maybe this type of info is just around the corner - although I'm not holding my breath).

Azoff has the best of both worlds.  If CD had taken off he is already hitched to that wagon.  If it doesn't, he plays the reunion card and gets even more $$'s.  Some could cynically even argue that the release campaign by Azoff was an intentional ploy to set CD up for commercial failure (note I am still happy with the CD irrespective), thereby forcing the reunion and his payday.  A risky strategy though since Axl seems to have a habbit of sacking people that make him do things he doesn't like or want to.

Unfortunately Azoff is clearly not here because of his passion for music and respect for artistic expression.  He has no interest in Axl nor what he is trying to communicate through his music and whether he achieves a connection with the listener/fans.  As a result I am not surprised at all with the way things have played out.

Board footer