You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Olorin wrote:

Axl took 14 years, millions of dollars and a huge cast of tremendously talented people to make that record.
Honestly when you look at credits on this album - with the Beltramis, Buckmasters and Bucketheads whatever - with all the help Axl had, it would be harder to make a fucking turd than to make something sounding half decent.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Axl took 14 years, millions of dollars and a huge cast of tremendously talented people to make that record.
Honestly when you look at credits on this album - with the Beltramis, Buckmasters and Bucketheads whatever - with all the help Axl had, it would be harder to make a fucking turd than to make something sounding half decent.

So what? I don't care who, how much or how long. It's not a baseball team. If it's good it's good, if it's not it's not.

And those 14 million and years got little to do with it. Axl took that long and spent that much for many factors. Pressure, creating a band from scratch, trying to make it sound GN'R etc. He could have released a great album back in 2002 after only 3-4 years of work. I don't think the time and money is a valid argument.

On the flip side I could say albums like Contraband probably could have benefited from a few more months/years of work.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Just saying Slash and Duff didn't need a household brand to be successful. they started a band from scratch and are gonna end up destroying GNR grammy and sales wise.

I think its kind of funny especially considering all the dumb ass "Axl is GNR" comments I hear on a daily basis.

It's not all that clear cut. VR released CB in 04, a very different time for music. They also benefited from the long time CD has taken. If you can't have CD you might as well check out VR. They toured and did promotion. Put a face on the project. Then came Libertad and we saw how much people really cared about them.

In terms of creative output I think the majority of fans will agree that Axl is GN'R, at least more than any other collaboration without him.

Oh give me a fucking break. Do not try and taint Slash and Duff's post GNR success with this bullshit. Oh we are waiting on Axl, so in the meantime we will check this out.

ridiculous!

Slither mops the floor with any rocker on Chinese Democracy and Fall To Pieces holds its own as well.

Messages gives me the exact same tingling feeling as This I Love.

Just cause it isn't Axl singing doesn't make it inferior.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Sadly, the frontman is mostly always associated with the band more than any other member.. just how it is, and its served axl well

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Just saying Slash and Duff didn't need a household brand to be successful. they started a band from scratch and are gonna end up destroying GNR grammy and sales wise.

I think its kind of funny especially considering all the dumb ass "Axl is GNR" comments I hear on a daily basis.

It's not all that clear cut. VR released CB in 04, a very different time for music. They also benefited from the long time CD has taken. If you can't have CD you might as well check out VR. They toured and did promotion. Put a face on the project. Then came Libertad and we saw how much people really cared about them.

In terms of creative output I think the majority of fans will agree that Axl is GN'R, at least more than any other collaboration without him.

Oh give me a fucking break. Do not try and taint Slash and Duff's post GNR success with this bullshit. Oh we are waiting on Axl, so in the meantime we will check this out.

ridiculous!

Slither mops the floor with any rocker on Chinese Democracy and Fall To Pieces holds its own as well.

lol...

Really dude?

"Messages" sucks. I never understood the love for that song, it's a joke.

"Slither" was/is a good song, but I'll still take anything on CD over it. Same goes for "Fall To Pieces." You're really going to tell me that "Fall To Pieces" is better than "Catcher In The Rye" or "This I Love?"

Funny.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

"like a broken record for so long".. 
Slash pulls his shit off as always, its only the unfortunate circumstance of having weiland as your front "man"..

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

absolutely Fall To Pieces is better than Catcher in The Rye.

I listened to Contraband when it came out for a year straight.

CD has been out 2 weeks and I am already tired of it.

Ill take YGNR, LTA, STB, Slither, Let It Roll, Dirty Little Thing and Superhuman over most of the CD songs.

now vocally the album is not as good, but the songs just have more fire to them.

I like Suckertrain Blues better than CD
I like YGNR,FTP and LTA better than Catcher *The demo version owns all however* The Blues, There Was A Time.

Ill take Headspace and Slither over Better and IRS

Ill take Dirty Little thing over Rhiad

Sure

it isn't hard to believe. Its all music. I don't know why people choose to say one is far superior than the other cause it has more production.

The rockers ROCK way harder on CB.

the ballads are also very relatable.

This I Love gets the nod over Messages barely but Messages moves me emotionally the same way.

Fine if u don't think so, but I hate when people are "Shocked' that someone could prefer certain other songs.

Now, Scott does nothing vocally in axl's league BUT overall songwise, CB is great and right there.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

ridiculous!

Taint what? Their irrelevance? Apart from a small buzz back in 04 nobody gives a fuck anymore. They had their chance and blew it. Now you can probably say the same about GN'R, but the difference is that CD's music is for the most part loved by the fans. VR still has some supporters, even I am looking forward to what they do with a new singer, but you won't find the same praise for their albums as you do CD. You just don't.

VR had the right kind of hype and they profited from it. Axl didn't, for obvious reasons. But when it comes down to it, those who really know and love GN'R (all incarnations) will favor CD in the vast majority. If anyones opinion should count in terms of success it's theirs. Not superficial critics, not dumbed down billboarders, not the corporate bitches at the grammys. The fans.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

yeah it will be remembered in 20 years, just  not the way you think. As far as this thing supposedly not intended to be main stream-GNR was the stream-this thing was supposed to be the "most anticipated album of all time," thats not exactly an attempt to be underground.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

ridiculous!

Taint what? Their irrelevance? Apart from a small buzz back in 04 nobody gives a fuck anymore. They had their chance and blew it. Now you can probably say the same about GN'R, but the difference is that CD's music is for the most part loved by the fans. VR still has some supporters, even I am looking forward to what they do with a new singer, but you won't find the same praise for their albums as you do CD. You just don't.

VR had the right kind of hype and they profited from it. Axl didn't, for obvious reasons. But when it comes down to it, those who really know and love GN'R (all incarnations) will favor CD in the vast majority. If anyones opinion should count in terms of success it's theirs. Not superficial critics, not dumbed down billboarders, not the corporate bitches at the grammys. The fans.

I saw VR live twice at the same venue (Toyota Pavilion in Scranton, PA) - in 2005 and then again in 2007.

The first time around? The place was packed.

Last year? The place was a ghost town. They had to actually close the lawn and they gave everyone out there a free upgrade to the second tier of seats. Most people around me in the GA section were there to see Alice In Chains moreso than VR.

POISON packed that place more than VR did last year.

What does that tell you?

Board footer