You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

DCK wrote:

Its a good album, just not a good GNR album.  If AC/DC pulled out a Piano, or acoustic CD, people wouldn't buy it... Not because its not good, its just not what they want from a band like AC/DC.  GNR fans are a fan of a certain type of music.  That music is Hard Rock Music.  In hard rock music, you can have awesome ballads, like CD has, but you have to have some balls out rockers too.  Axl made a fine album, that most GNR fans DON'T Like. Fans of Queen and Elton John may love this album, but your average GNR fan doesn't.  Now, Axl can make any type of music he wants, but it wasn't this style that got all the fans.  We all know this.  So its such drastic change from the original style which is more reason why after 14 years, he should have called this Axl Rose Band or whatever.  It would be like the Rolling Stones releasing an electronica album.  Yes, they have that right, but its not Rolling Stones style of music.  That is why this album is failing.  The old fans want a style only the old band could make.  They are your base. They are who buys your album first.  Then you get the new fans.  Well, with no tour, promotion, or videos, there won't be any new fans to push the album.

You're stating an obvious point. Axl have spoken about this since 1999. He was well prepared for it and wanted to take the opertunity to do it. I was fully prepared for such a thing. For the last 10 years. He was too.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:

Its a good album, just not a good GNR album.  If AC/DC pulled out a Piano, or acoustic CD, people wouldn't buy it... Not because its not good, its just not what they want from a band like AC/DC.  GNR fans are a fan of a certain type of music.  That music is Hard Rock Music.  In hard rock music, you can have awesome ballads, like CD has, but you have to have some balls out rockers too.  Axl made a fine album, that most GNR fans DON'T Like. Fans of Queen and Elton John may love this album, but your average GNR fan doesn't.  Now, Axl can make any type of music he wants, but it wasn't this style that got all the fans.  We all know this.  So its such drastic change from the original style which is more reason why after 14 years, he should have called this Axl Rose Band or whatever.  It would be like the Rolling Stones releasing an electronica album.  Yes, they have that right, but its not Rolling Stones style of music.  That is why this album is failing.  The old fans want a style only the old band could make.  They are your base. They are who buys your album first.  Then you get the new fans.  Well, with no tour, promotion, or videos, there won't be any new fans to push the album.

You're stating an obvious point. Axl have spoken about this since 1999. He was well prepared for it and wanted to take the opertunity to do it. I was fully prepared for such a thing. For the last 10 years. He was too.

I know its obvious, which is EXACTLY WHY THIS ALBUM SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE AXL ROSE BAND.  People need to understand this before they ask why the album isn't selling.  GNR isn't a hard rock band, yet their base fans are fans of hard rock.  I think there was plenty of promotion for the "Most Anticipated Album EVER"....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", sold just under 57,000 copies in the United States in its second week of release to land at position No. 18 on The Billboard 200 chart. This represents a whopping 78-percent drop from the CD's opening-week tally of 261,000.

"Chinese Democracy" dropped out of the U.K. Top 10 this past Sunday (December 7), having landed at No. 11 in its second full week of release. The CD debuted at No. 2 in the U.K. after failing to outsell "Day & Age", the latest album from Las Vegas rock group THE KILLERS.

Only singer Axl Rose remains in the current GUNS roster, having taken some 15 years to complete "Chinese Democracy" with a revolving cast of musicians.

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, most of the blame for "Chinese Democracy"'s relative lack of promotion rests at the feet of Axl Rose. IGA (Interscope Geffen A&M) and Best Buy were reportedly handicapped on a number of levels, due in large part to Rose's refusal to participate in the setup — dramatically reducing the ability of the label and Best Buy to market the release.

www.blabbermouth.net

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I know its obvious, which is EXACTLY WHY THIS ALBUM SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE AXL ROSE BAND.

Things didn't really go down that way or shaped themselves in that direction for it to be the Axl Rose band. The name thing itself I supoort Axl 100% for keeping.

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, most of the blame for "Chinese Democracy"'s relative lack of promotion rests at the feet of Axl Rose. IGA (Interscope Geffen A&M) and Best Buy were reportedly handicapped on a number of levels, due in large part to Rose's refusal to participate in the setup — dramatically reducing the ability of the label and Best Buy to market the release.

Well dauh.

Strangest outcome of an album release ever witnessed.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:

I know its obvious, which is EXACTLY WHY THIS ALBUM SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE AXL ROSE BAND.

Things didn't really go down that way or shaped themselves in that direction for it to be the Axl Rose band. The name thing itself I supoort Axl 100% for keeping.

Axl set this thing up to fail from the get go by both keeping the name and changing the direction to a direction fans didn't want.  So its just JABA.....JABA = Just Axl Being Axl......

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:

Axl set this thing up to fail from the get go by both keeping the name and changing the direction to a direction fans didn't want.  So its just JABA.....JABA = Just Axl Being Axl......

I think this is a GnR record in tone, content, and sound. There are a few departures and definitely some new textures, but I don't find this record far removed from the Illusions.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Yeah, I don't get that from it at all.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Bottom line is the sales suck, it's virtually proven now the only reason the album made it near the top in the first week was because of the die-hards. Just let go of Axl's braids, there's no need to defend him anymore. The album came out, Axl ignored it, it flopped commercially and now people must move on. There's no reason to ride the defense bandwagon now, Axl himself didn't even try. If Axl-ites wouldn't have talked so much shit on Contraband over the years and treated him like a God, maybe this turn wouldn't have created such a stir. Such as it is, Axl was put on a pedestal and the album basically came out in America with all the fanfare of a William Hung record, like Libertad (but at least that's 'the Weiland album'). Everyone was shocked, but then some people decided to face reality. I don't think it's necessarily an indication of the quality of music, I love the album, but it's the way she goes. I'm not about to stand here and defend Axl for releasing the album without so much as giving an interview and further explaining to the fans (ie: the only people who bought the album) what's going on. He fucked over (although not in HIS mind) everyone else and now he's fucked over the die-hards completely. We have a great album, but Axl is finally getting salt thrown back into his eyes. "Nobody owes you not one Goddamn thing" works two ways.

I got you covered; Axl doesn't have to explain anything. He's an artist.

(Yeah, and the people don't have to buy albums.)

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Perfectly fair, Brett. I don't know why he has chosen to stay silent. Very disappointing endgame if you ask me.

Board footer