You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Just saw Angel Down's artwork...

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I bought it today (had someone pick it up for me) and it is surprisingly good.  I'm up to track 6 right now which is called American Metalhead, and the album is solid on some tracks and weak on others.  The ones that are solid are surprisingly solid however.  I'll give you a little bit of my opinion of each track as I listen to it so I'll update this as I go.  So far I'd say buy it.  By the way, the local Circuit City was sold out of this album just after noon, that is a HUGE surprise.  Could it be the buzz about Axl appearing on the album or was it just a fluke?  Either way it was a surprise.  Be interesting to see how successful it is on the charts next week.  I think top 40 would be pushing it but if it does manage a debut that high my guess would be that Axl's name had a big hand in it. 

The tracklist:
1.Angel Down (ass-kickin' rocker)
2.You Don't Understand (fair, but too "80's revisited" for me)
3.Back in the Saddle (first track with Axl and it's subpar to the original but the vocals are good together)
4.Love Is A Bitchslap (the second of three with Axl but even Axl can't take the cheese out of this one)
5.Stuck Inside (the third and final with Axl ... folks this is the winner of the three with "THE MAN"!)
6.American Metalhead (decent, but it will take a few listens to judge for sure)
7.Negative Light (yes and no, good moments tarnished with some odd screaming with no purpose)
8.Live & Die (not bad, not great)
9.By Your Side ("meant to be hit" I would guess but I just don't feel it.  It's I Remember You deballed)
10.Our Love is a Lie (not bad, sleazy enough to grow on you)
11.Take You Down With Me (good one, very "Rob Halford" sounding.  The influence of Priest is there)
12.Stabbin' Daggers (Another pretty good rocker, the band is tight on this cd)
13.You Bring Me Down (first opinion is best one since the opener, ROCKS!)
14.Falling Into You (second "ballad" but I like it much better than By Your Side...solid song)

Ok, that's it (not the import version so 14 tracks not 15) and I'd give it a solid 7 out of ten, might even 'grow' into an 8 with some more listens.  Not bad considering most albums don't get higher than a 5 or 6 in my judgement.  Not bad at all, although I wish Axl had sang more songs with Baz like Stuck Inside as that was a ripper.  Back in the Saddle has the potential to grow on me but Love Is A Bitchslap is just cheese for my taste.  Decent rock album when all is said and done.  Go buy it.

Wow it sold out.    Man I hope it doesn't sell out here.   I can't get it until the weekend 17

nice review GS.   My favorites are a little different then yours, but all in all I agree it is a solid rock album with a few weaker songs.  I give it a 7.5.   I said before I really think this and Zeitgeist are tied for rock albums of the year.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

nice review GS.   My favorites are a little different then yours, but all in all I agree it is a solid rock album with a few weaker songs.  I give it a 7.5.   I said before I really think this and Zeitgeist are tied for rock albums of the year.

Thanks, I noticed from talking to a few people that we all had different faves...that's a good thing for the record.  What did you think about the pic with Axl everybody?  Doesn't look to thrilled to "be there", lol.  For those of you that haven't picked it up yet check out the look on Axl's face:

zbaz3.jpg

Axl has a little smirk on his face, I think he looks quite smitten big_smile

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

wow slinger, I know youre a big baz fan so thats a pretty somber review coming from you sad

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

That's Axls usual photo face, he only seems to smile when he's caught off guard or drunk lol.

Board footer