You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese photos show moon's surface in vivid detail

James wrote:

Beijing (CNN)China has released hundreds of high-resolution photos taken by its Chang'e-3 lunar lander and rover, showing the moon's surface in vivid detail.

The China National Space Administration made the images, video clips and scientific data available on its website in a rare show of openness for the country's usually secretive space program.

China sent its first unmanned lunar probe, the Yutu, or "Jade Rabbit," to the moon in 2013 as part of its Chang'e-3 mission, becoming only the third nation after the United States and Russia to land on the moon's surface.

Despite a shaky start to its mission, the Jade Rabbit is still working and sending images and data back to earth.

The images show the moon's crust in true color and spectacular detail. The tracks of the Jade Rabbit rover are clearly visible in some pictures. The full data sets are available for the public to download on the website.

China has ambitious plans to explore the moon, with two robotic missions planned for the next two years.

In 2017, China will launch the Chang'e-5 spacecraft, which plans to land on the moon and return with soil samples.

While in 2018, China plans to land on the far side of the moon with the Chang'e-4 spacecraft, a mission, which, if successful, would make it the first country to do so.

China hasn't committed to it, but many analysts think the country ultimately wants to put a man on the moon.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/01/asia/chin … f=obinsite

160201140816-08-china-moon-surface-photos-exlarge-169.jpg

James

James wrote:

I'm not a fan of China going to the Moon or further space exploration but these images are stunning. The US should have had several rovers already there. Maybe this will give our government the kick in the ass it needs to speed things up. I am glad that we focus on Pluto, Ceres, Mars,etc. but the Moon is a huge priority and China(or Russia) cannot be allowed to gain the upper hand. The moon will be colonized eventually, mined for resources, military uses,etc. so lets start taking steps towards that goal.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Wow...awesome to see some more modern moon stuff.

It always captivates my imagination to think of pace travel.

Hope they film some of the usa's leftover gear next time to shut up the hoax conspiracy theory!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Don't believe for a second they went to the moon. Last space footage I saw from them was shot in a scuba tank.

The fact that we haven't put men up there since the early 70s is a big red flag. NASA claiming they "lost the blueprints". Yeah right.

AtariLegend wrote:

While I'm not as skeptical as polluxlm. I always thought that was a red flag too, but I don't like to think much further past it to be honest. The implications would be far too disheartening.

Anyway hopefully China's continued push eventually leads to more global focus on exploration away from nukes tongue.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I feel this is a good rebuttal of the "it's all a sound studio" theories.

So my problems with it being fake are:

1. It's actually more plausible with 60s tech to do it than to fake it. Doing it requires strapping yourself onto a zillion tons of TNT and hoping for the best. Faking it well requires video toys they didn't have.

2. Why fake it 9 times? Why not do it once and declare there's nothing there? Every time they fake it the level of cover up required gets more implausible.

3. Surely the soviets or someone else would have called them on their BS if there was even the slightest chance it was fake - given the rivalry at the time.

James

James wrote:

I used to be a hardcore skeptic about the US moon landings but have softened a bit over the years. Like monkey said, I'd love for a rover to be sent to the spot where we went to show proof once and for all that we were there.

1960s computer technology was not very good. It would be like using an Atari 2600 to get there. Also they didn't even know about the Van Allen belts at the time and weren't able to take that into consideration. In fact, those belts may be a reason we aren't planning on sending people there anytime soon. We haven't figured out yet how to overcome that obstacle.

If faked, it was simply Cold War propaganda meant to stop the Soviets from trying to go and so we could claim victory in the space race. Monkey, some Soviets did question the moon landings.

If it truly happened, then it really was THE event of the 20th century, actually in the history of mankind.

My grandpa never believed it. He said anyone who believed we went there would also believe it was made of cheese.

I'm not skeptical about this China rover. We sent a rover to Mars in 96 and its not surprising that 20 years later another country finally sent one much closer to home.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I do wish we lived thru it, had to be a life changing event. I heard how it really expanded ones view on life, as in there's so much more to this universe than just Earth.  Whereas we were born just assuming there was, they were opened to it. We were so close to, a generation away, as James said, of one of the biggest events in mankind.

Admittedly, it is one heck of an accomplishment. I remember asking an older guy I worked with if there was talk of a conspiracy right away, he said no that came more like 5 or 10 years later. I then asked him about JFK, and if there were conspiracies on that, he responded "Yeah, the next day!"

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

1. It's actually more plausible with 60s tech to do it than to fake it. Doing it requires strapping yourself onto a zillion tons of TNT and hoping for the best. Faking it well requires video toys they didn't have.

2. Why fake it 9 times? Why not do it once and declare there's nothing there? Every time they fake it the level of cover up required gets more implausible.

3. Surely the soviets or someone else would have called them on their BS if there was even the slightest chance it was fake - given the rivalry at the time.

Great video Monkey!  Very enjoyable, and fantastic point he made at the end.

China never released the pictures, but they did claim to have found evidence of the Apollo missions in 2010, with a probe they had sent to the moon.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/sci/2 … 393210.htm

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That was great thanks for sharing.

Board footer