You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: US Politics Thread

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Kermit weighs in on the election....

http://i67.tinypic.com/15n9fsk.jpg

You and that frog...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The DNC is in shambles. Yea, I'm enjoying this.

Everything is in shambles today, and the GOP is not excluded. In fact they may be worse off for this than the Dems. They now have to lead, as one party, and I can guarantee you that shit ain't happening. Not with Bannon in Trump's ear. The Breitbart constituency has scores to settle inside the GOP, and this is their big chance.

Yea they'll be a honeymoon period, but it's going to get ugly alright.

Paul Ryan is the big target, Bannon won't let that go.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

So is the GOP, though. It's officially the party of Breitbart. I can see a purple coalition starting from this, centrist democrats and republicans. I will say that if the big message democrats get out of this is that they need to go even farther left, like Gavin Newsom and Elizabeth Warren, then yeah, the party is going into the dark ages. But going by wheat the Rustbelt dems are saying today, that's not what they're thinking.

But these four years are going to be a clusterfuck.

The GOP is still recovering from its neocon mistake. Trump and the tea party have nothing in common but anger. The GOP is going to move towards its Rockefeller era. Socially conservative issues that stemmed from the Bible thumpers just aren't popular anymore. Trump held up a Rainbow flag!  He made an appeal to LGBT people in his convention speech.

As others have said, the left went too far. Trying to compare trans people with marriage equality was a bridge too far. Most Republicans aren't even against abortion, they just don't think it should be a form of birth control.

The population is behind Trump in immigration. The country doesn't want an open border. They're with Trump on taking care of America first. We heard Obama and Clinton make speeches about every group in and outside the US besides white males. Like the article Art posted on SLC's forum, every identity group was ok except white males.  You have to feel guilty and apologize for being part of that group.

The Republicans with Trump just won their first culture war. You're absolutely right, if the DNC looks to Warren or Sanders, they're going to do self harm. They look to a Biden or Bloomberg type, they have a great chance of winning in 2020.

But the next 4 years are going to be awesome. All the accusations and labels of treason they've lobbed at the GOP the past 8 years are cemented in cyberspace should they try to shut down D.C.  But not a single democrat is necessary to pass legislation for the next 2 years. I hope they decide to work with the GOP. I want the partisanship to end. But they drew first blood. They crossed the forbidden line. If the GOP returns the favor, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Republicans laid the ground work for an obstructionist agenda, one Trent Lott started. They just said, when they were sure Trump would lose, they vowed not to vote on Hillary's supreme court nominee for four years and wait until the next election. They stated that. It worked for them, so why not? Filibuster everything and wait Trump out. I don't want to see it, but if that's the game plan I can't blame them. They can't rely on Hillary hate anymore, he's the most disliked president already... They can just wait.

I hadn't heard of any push to prevent a vote if Clinton won. I disagreed with the GOP not voting on Obama's nominee. But the Dems yanked the filibuster in 2012. They crossed that line. If they try to stop everything, the GOP will do the same. Then the DNC will officially have no power for the next 2 years. If they want to be relegated to living air filters, so be it. I hope that's not the case though. They're in no position to bargain or make demands.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Ha ha ha. This thread has turned hysterical. Trump will be just fine. Now, everyone chill the fuck out.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
bigbri wrote:

One of the first things Donald Trump should do is try to get marijuana and all drugs legalized across the country and end the ridiculous war on drugs. Then, regulate them.

I'm serious. You kill a lot of problems doing it. Think of the revenue stream, for one. And you decrease the prison population, which strains taxpayers.  You also don't turn an entire generation of young drug users into criminals. Plus, it would fuck with Mexico's drug cartels.

It's a win all around. Can't believe it has never happened.

It's why I supported Gary Johnson. He leans this direction but doesn't go as far as what I described above.

I absolutely agree with you there. Not sure it'll happen. Lots of people still have it in their minds that marijuana is this evil illegal drug, so I'm not sure it'd be such an easy thing to do. But I don't really see the downside. People who want to smoke pot are going to smoke it whether it's legal or not, might as well capitalize on it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The GOP is still recovering from its neocon mistake. Trump and the tea party have nothing in common but anger. The GOP is going to move towards its Rockefeller era. Socially conservative issues that stemmed from the Bible thumpers just aren't popular anymore. Trump held up a Rainbow flag!  He made an appeal to LGBT people in his convention speech.

As others have said, the left went too far. Trying to compare trans people with marriage equality was a bridge too far. Most Republicans aren't even against abortion, they just don't think it should be a form of birth control.

The population is behind Trump in immigration. The country doesn't want an open border. They're with Trump on taking care of America first. We heard Obama and Clinton make speeches about every group in and outside the US besides white males. Like the article Art posted on SLC's forum, every identity group was ok except white males.  You have to feel guilty and apologize for being part of that group.

The Republicans with Trump just won their first culture war. You're absolutely right, if the DNC looks to Warren or Sanders, they're going to do self harm. They look to a Biden or Bloomberg type, they have a great chance of winning in 2020.

But the next 4 years are going to be awesome. All the accusations and labels of treason they've lobbed at the GOP the past 8 years are cemented in cyberspace should they try to shut down D.C.  But not a single democrat is necessary to pass legislation for the next 2 years. I hope they decide to work with the GOP. I want the partisanship to end. But they drew first blood. They crossed the forbidden line. If the GOP returns the favor, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Republicans laid the ground work for an obstructionist agenda, one Trent Lott started. They just said, when they were sure Trump would lose, they vowed not to vote on Hillary's supreme court nominee for four years and wait until the next election. They stated that. It worked for them, so why not? Filibuster everything and wait Trump out. I don't want to see it, but if that's the game plan I can't blame them. They can't rely on Hillary hate anymore, he's the most disliked president already... They can just wait.

I hadn't heard of any push to prevent a vote if Clinton won. I disagreed with the GOP not voting on Obama's nominee. But the Dems yanked the filibuster in 2012. They crossed that line. If they try to stop everything, the GOP will do the same. Then the DNC will officially have no power for the next 2 years. If they want to be relegated to living air filters, so be it. I hope that's not the case though. They're in no position to bargain or make demands.

several Republicans have said if the voters elect Clinton, they’ll block her nominees, effectively abandoning their advice and consent role for her entire term.

“If Hillary Clinton becomes president, I am going to do everything I can do to make sure four years from now, we still got an opening on the Supreme Court,” North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr said in an audio recording of his meeting with GOP volunteers on Saturday. CNN obtained a copy of the audio.

GOP Sens. John McCain of Arizona and Ted Cruz of Texas have also suggested blocking any Clinton nominees. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said in a debate Monday night that he “can’t imagine” voting for any Clinton nominee though he stopped short of vowing to block a pick from a Democratic president.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/cli … eme-court/

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump will be just fine.

What do you base this on? His calm demeanor and his sound fiscal decisions over the years?

Or the restraint and composure he exhibits when others may disagree with him?

Or perhaps his years of experience in government?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Filibuster everything and wait Trump out.

Yeah and they'll filibuster themselves out of a job.

As already stated, there are many lessons to be learned from this election.

People have whined for eons about being sick of "politics as usual". Well guess what? Its no longer politics as usual. How people act from this moment forward will be very revealing.

he's the most disliked president already...

Wow....wont even wait for the inauguration....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

several Republicans have said if the voters elect Clinton, they’ll block her nominees, effectively abandoning their advice and consent role for her entire term.

“If Hillary Clinton becomes president, I am going to do everything I can do to make sure four years from now, we still got an opening on the Supreme Court,” North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr said in an audio recording of his meeting with GOP volunteers on Saturday. CNN obtained a copy of the audio.

GOP Sens. John McCain of Arizona and Ted Cruz of Texas have also suggested blocking any Clinton nominees. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said in a debate Monday night that he “can’t imagine” voting for any Clinton nominee though he stopped short of vowing to block a pick from a Democratic president.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/cli … eme-court/

But where did they hear McCain say that?  No link in the article. What does "suggested" mean?

I disagree with those 3 if true, but not Cruz. Voting 'no' isn't obstructionism. There is no candidate Trump will nominate that Elizabeth Warren will vote 'yes' on. She's not obstructing anything. She has an obligation to vote how she feels right.  But a refusal to hold a vote or an unwavering filibuster would be. See the difference?

I want the filibuster to stay. I think it's an important tool, and one that should be used sparingly. There are ways to overcome it with a 2/3 majority if a few rogue Senators went bonkers.

If the GOP tried to pass a law barring all federal use of Affirmative Action, should the Dems filibuster to prevent its passing?  Most Democrats would say yes. At that point the GOP knows there is no way to pass the bill short of using the nuclear option. So if they decided against going nuclear, yet included that law in every bill they put forward, is it fair to call the DNC obstructionist?  I would say no.

Was it obstructionist when Harry Reid refused to allow a single republican bill get a vote during his 6 years as majority leader under Obama? (As I am typing this, Krauthammer just made the exact argument on TV)

So be willing to move and understand everything can't be a deal breaker. Quid quo pro. Hillary was a master of this and that's why I voted for her.  But Democrats lost. They need to accept that and choose what's really important and feasible for them and come to the table willing to trade.  This desire has been my sole driving force this election. I hope the GOP can pull it off.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth3kQKaTX0

Board footer