You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Wtf happened to…Chinese Democracy (song)

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I think 'trying to turn it into an epic that wasn't there' is about right. A song like Semi Charmed Life or The Killers When You Were Young is basically what it should be. A great rock song, just that. Spending years on it is, well, just that. Spending years on it. Either make it raw like an In Utero track, or 3EB/The Killers stuff.

I do like the punch of the drums, and the guitar riff tho.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think he felt it was the best radio track (that & Better) so was trying to make it a YCBM when there really wasn't a whole lot there.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

This song was great at HOB and Rio.

Unfortunately... for reasons unknown...over the next 7-8 years they tried to forcefully turn it into an epic that it simply can't be.

The Village Sessions leak allowed the fan base to hear it how it was always supposed to sound.

The album version is unlistenable.

Village Sessions version but with Bucket's solo added would be perfect.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I don’t miss Buckets solo. It’s impressive but does nothing but artificially extend the song.

Village version is perfect.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I like what Bucket did with the song  but I'm with Wags on this one.... Village Session is perfect. They even nailed the intro.

The Village Sessions tracks that desperately need him are IRS and TWAT.

I'd love to know what he added to Catcher in the Rye...if anything. It's also perfect as is but if taking Catcher in a different direction, have Finck on lead and Bucket on acoustic.

Couldn't be worse than the abortion we got.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

James reminded me how much I want both a Buckethead version of Catcher and also instrumental versions of Catcher.

I’m skeptical if the latter exists but I would certainly take it.

Oh and put me down for the pre-Brian May Finck versions as well.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

James reminded me how much I want both a Buckethead version of Catcher and also instrumental versions of Catcher.

All of what you mentioned will exist in some capacity. Whether it ever emerges or is released is another matter.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I like this song a lot. For me, the strongest rocker. The intro is unnecessary and would have had so much more punch had they just gone straight in with the riff. I'm not sure what or who Axl is ranting about here (the fanbase, the record company?) but I like the lyrics on this.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

All of what you mentioned will exist in some capacity. Whether it ever emerges or is released is another matter.

Hope it does. I need instrumentals. It’s what I listen to more than anything from gnr/new gnr

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

In an effort to talk GnR with you guys leading into the tour, I wanted to see if I could start a series. Starting with the title track and moving on throughout the album, I want to see what people liked about the song when they first heard it, and what their final impression of the album version is.

I am in the minority but I like Frank’s heavy drums and Ron’s riffs on the verse. Also, the song is better with Bucket’s solo which wasn’t in the first gigs at HoB and RIR3. The intro on the album is nonsense and should start where the Boston 2002 radio promo started.

Nothing beats the HOB version or the demo from the locker leaks.   Its way more punchy. I agree the BH solo adds to it, luckily i'msorrys remix has BH solo added

Board footer