You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Can you see Slash leaving again?

Wilco wrote:

I have to think Slash isn’t the happiest with the current state of affairs

Whatever else he is, he likes making music.

He’s been back in Guns for 6 years now with what to show for it? One 1980s b side re released, and two songs written by his replacements that he basically covered, with the prospect that the only future material will be of a similar nature

Can’t think he’s creatively satisfied. Axl May have changed, but I’m sure the late show the other night brought back PTSD from all the times Axl went on stage late due to anxiety back then as well. If it can happen now, such that a show is delayed an hour, whose to say it can’t happen again? Slash makes very clear in his book that the late starts were a major factor in his disillusionment in the band. He viewed it as disrespectful to himself

Now, here in 2022, we have a situation in at least some ways similar to 1996:

No (real) new music on the horizon

Axl runs the show

I feel that within a year or two at most, Slash will depart again. This time on more amicable terms, but still.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

No veo a slash rechazando el cheque de su vida!....el dinero que estan ganando en estas giras desde la reunion es motivo para q slash despues de un divorcio se quede como esta!...ganando pasta por un tubo y si quiere seguir sacando discos con sus proyectos lo puede hacer como ya hace!....no se pira ni de coña!....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He'll never leave. This is their bread and butter/retirement fund and they are now one of the biggest nostalgia acts in the world.

In a few years when the Stones, McCartney, etc. are out of the picture, they'll move up several notches.

If any bad blood starts, they'll just take a break.

Now, here in 2022, we have a situation in at least some ways similar to 1996:

No (real) new music on the horizon

There's a big difference though....

Other than the hardcore base, the world at large isn't really expecting anything. They weren't a nostalgia act in 1996.

Axl runs the show

Indeed...but do they really even care this late in the game?

This isn't the Stones circa 1984 where Mick is trying to take over the band(or go solo) and Keith and Charlie are resisting.

They know what it is now...and it's probably not changing.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Team Brazil probably serves as an intermediary for Axl and Duff/Slash, making sure each side gets what it wants. The workload is easy and the money must be great for everyone — including Axl who exhausted the appeal of the previous band by not releasing any new music and thus opening up new ways to attract another generation of fans.

It is a boring state of affairs and the only way to fix it will be with another album, providing they commit to promoting it with real excitement as they did when UYI came out.

In the meantime Slash has his collaborations with Myles to keep him happy. Duff has his solo work and writing. They are getting rich and making casual fans happy while going through the motions in GNR. I want more for them, and from them, but they probably feel the same so I guess I’m left with as much empathy as disappointment until something changes.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Back in the 90s somebody asked Slash, maybe it was Alan Niven, why he stuck around with a crazy fucker like Axl.

"Because I don't want to die penniless like my dad".

Slash got over his ego in 2006. With 100 million dollars and counting ending up in his pocket, Axl is going to have to push his buttons in a major way to get any reaction. And it doesn't seem like Axl got the energy for all that anger anymore.

I think this reunion will last until they croak.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

He's not leaving, he has a family to support now and a life style to maintain.  Most of his creative pursuits (ie NEW MUSIC) will be done w/the Conspirators.  GNR pays the bills and he isn't leaving all that cash on the table for a second table.

And there are no creative difficulties in GNR now anyway since Axl doesn't seem interested in writing and releasing any new music anyway.  So that's a  non issue.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I don't know why he would leave the current incarnation of this band.  He gets to tour to larger crowds than he can on his own or with any of his side projects.  He rakes in millions a year.  He's able to satisfy his need to create with his own stuff and if Guns ever does anything, I'm sure he'll be happy to participate.  But my understanding is that Slash left the first time over creative differences.  As they're not currently creating anything together, nor is Slash reliant on the band to be creative, it seems highly unlikely he would sacrifice the payday and notoriety he's getting being Slash in Guns N' Roses for anything less than a substantive breach of trust or harm.  It's a win/win for him currently, and leaving only hurts his legacy, notoriety and pocketbook.

Sky Dog wrote:

I still chuckle at these ludicrous posts…6 years later and people still think he will leave if they don’t release new material. He doesn’t give a shit about it! He can tour Guns, see the world with his girlfriend, and make millions!

He’s gonna change Axl….too funny! Highly paid contract employee.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I can’t say much, reminds me of my “you think Bucket will ever come back?” posts.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

I can't add much, everybody above me said basically the same,  but I will ask - does it really matter?

If no music is involved, we're left with endless touring and merchandise.

If he'll decide to walk out, then we'll have another comeback tour five years from now.

Enjoy whatever you can, people, while you can.. and if we'll get new music? Fantastic! But don't hold your breath..

Board footer